Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
is doing what we all hoped for: creating pressure and turnovers. And they seem to be getting better. One unfortunate effect to a regime change this year is that if the D keeps improving, it seems like we might have finally found a D Coordinator, and we might lose him. To what level does a team with a poor record but with a visably improving defense effect TStan’s decision? How often do teams bring in a new coach and retain the current DC? If the D makes great strides do you consider Woody as a head coach?

I realize I’m getting ahead of myself, just impressed with how our guys (well most of our guys) are flying around.

Is doing what we hoped for: creating pressure and turnovers. And they seem to be getting better. One unfortunate effect of a regime change, if the defense continues to improve this year, is that we finally may have found a DC and may lose him. To what level does a team with a poor overall record but with a vastly improved defense effect TStan’s decision at the end of the year? How common is it for new head coaches to retain the previous DC? Or if Woody continues to improve the D, do you consider him as a head coach?

I know that there is a lot of ball left to be played, but I’m impressed by how the guys (well most guys) are flying around.
I agree, but overall tackling techniques still need a lot of work.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Is doing what we hoped for: creating pressure and turnovers. And they seem to be getting better. One unfortunate effect of a regime change, if the defense continues to improve this year, is that we finally may have found a DC and may lose him. To what level does a team with a poor overall record but with a vastly improved defense effect TStan’s decision at the end of the year? How common is it for new head coaches to retain the previous DC? Or if Woody continues to improve the D, do you consider him as a head coach?

I know that there is a lot of ball left to be played, but I’m impressed by how the guys (well most guys) are flying around.
I would honestly like to have him as a head coach and just make Shiel Wood the DC. Let him bring in whoever he wants as OC and let's roll. If we can get Satterfield though, then I don't think retaining him will be a problem.

GT_EE78

Banned

my gut feel is that you're right and somehow the defense appears improved, but unfortunately we still are last in our division in "points allowed" . Tstan just seems like the Brain "brainless " era with a huge amount of PC PR piled on top, so he's a good PR guy but i'm not that close to it so i could be wrong there. Woody as HC is a non-starter. Keeping Woody sounds good but u gotta let the new HC decide that. The only important thing at this time is for students,fans,alumni and donors to let Tstan know that HIS job is in jeopardy if CPJ stays for another year.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I will still be at the games. Just stating the obvious can be a downer, I admit.

As I will be but not with the expectations that I will automatically be seeing a loss. And just so you know, no gold tinted glasses here. I'm well aware of what has been going on the last couple of years I simply see no reason to assume a loss to anyone. Never had that attitude when I competed or professionally and I'm not about to start now.

So I was at the game Saturday. Tailgating and Tech is always great. The crowd was in it until the three fumble debacle. But here is what I took away.
1. The defense is getting much better. They never quit and they are being disruptive. Duke also could not run the football.
2. Duke is good. Let's not sugar coat this, they are more like Spurrier's Duke. they have more coaches than us and have put more into their program than us. In 2014 when we were pretty darn good, they beat us. I thuink they probably win the Coastal this year.
3. Ta Quon is not the quarterback for us. I always believe the last two years it was meant to be Matthew Jordan. He was JT5's back up even when Ta Quon was around. Ta Quon is too slight o run mid line and he just isn't consistent in passing. Nesbitt was adequate passing, JT5 was a pretty good passer and really learned the offense. Tevin Washington was excellent at the offense and could at least throw. Also I am beginning to see issues at B-back. Let's face it, if things had worked as should Dedrick Mills and Marcus Marshall would be our co-B-backs right now, with Benson in reserve. The loss of Benson I think is hurting us as well.
4. The O-line is something I can't figure out. Duke is not exactly Clemson in the front. I think they think too much instead of just playing.

I believe those that want CPJ gone will get their wish. Maybe not this year but if things are like this year then next. So what then?
Forget the App State Coach, he is on his way to UNC. Now if we go get a change of offense Coach, folks get ready for a few things. Three years of being the doormat of the ACC, hoping the new guy does well. And if you want a big name coach, well get your check books out because ticket prices will double to pay the 7 million we will need.

I would get Monken or may Bohannon. Probably Bohannon to keep a form of the current offense, and convince Woody to stay with $$$$$.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
See what you're saying and don't necessarily disagree, but the poor attendance may well force his hand. Less than half full on a beautiful fall day for Homecoming is unsustainable. Stansbury has to be thinking, "How bad could this get in one more down year?
I came to the game for homecoming. I was in upper west on the 50. I could not see how many in the lower west but there were a lot of empty seats in the stadium. Let's face it that football is entertainment and if you don't entertain then you will pay at the box office. The offense is not exciting to most fans but if we were winning 8 or 9 games a year with big plays on offense then people will come to see it. What we have now is boring. Maybe former players may like some of the technical execution but what I saw Saturday was not fun to watch. Duke has this O figured out. Our D looked pretty good at times and is improving. That is encouraging. Duke really beat us in the line. They were getting off blocks and had lots of tackles for loss. There was not any time to throw and they had people in.our backfield all day. We did return the favor a few times. I thought Adams , Saint Amour, and Charlie Thomas played well. I just don't see enough wins with this team to go bowling. I hope I'm wrong.
In terms of replacing PJ , the right hire can turn this around just like Cut is doing but it has to be the right guy at the right time. Even Spurrier won at Duke but he saw there were easier places to win at. I do respect PJ not leaving when he probably could have left. He has the best interest in his players at heart. He sees more than just football for them. Unfortunately 3 million dollar salaries need to get results for the main objective of his job. He is now performing at subpar for what he is paid to do.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
is doing what we all hoped for: creating pressure and turnovers. And they seem to be getting better. One unfortunate effect to a regime change this year is that if the D keeps improving, it seems like we might have finally found a D Coordinator, and we might lose him. To what level does a team with a poor record but with a visably improving defense effect TStan’s decision? How often do teams bring in a new coach and retain the current DC? If the D makes great strides do you consider Woody as a head coach?

I realize I’m getting ahead of myself, just impressed with how our guys (well most of our guys) are flying around.
IMO if the defense keeps getting better CPJ will have one more year if he wants it.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
So I was at the game Saturday. Tailgating and Tech is always great. The crowd was in it until the three fumble debacle. But here is what I took away.
1. The defense is getting much better. They never quit and they are being disruptive. Duke also could not run the football.
2. Duke is good. Let's not sugar coat this, they are more like Spurrier's Duke. they have more coaches than us and have put more into their program than us. In 2014 when we were pretty darn good, they beat us. I thuink they probably win the Coastal this year.
3. Ta Quon is not the quarterback for us. I always believe the last two years it was meant to be Matthew Jordan. He was JT5's back up even when Ta Quon was around. Ta Quon is too slight o run mid line and he just isn't consistent in passing. Nesbitt was adequate passing, JT5 was a pretty good passer and really learned the offense. Tevin Washington was excellent at the offense and could at least throw. Also I am beginning to see issues at B-back. Let's face it, if things had worked as should Dedrick Mills and Marcus Marshall would be our co-B-backs right now, with Benson in reserve. The loss of Benson I think is hurting us as well.
4. The O-line is something I can't figure out. Duke is not exactly Clemson in the front. I think they think too much instead of just playing.

I believe those that want CPJ gone will get their wish. Maybe not this year but if things are like this year then next. So what then?
Forget the App State Coach, he is on his way to UNC. Now if we go get a change of offense Coach, folks get ready for a few things. Three years of being the doormat of the ACC, hoping the new guy does well. And if you want a big name coach, well get your check books out because ticket prices will double to pay the 7 million we will need.

I would get Monken or may Bohannon. Probably Bohannon to keep a form of the current offense, and convince Woody to stay with $$$$$.

Only disagree with a couple of things.

4. From what I’ve heard we had a player makingbthe wrong Line calls. This isn’t a matter of being outmanned. It’s a matter of playing horrible ball. Why wasn’t this caught sooner and corrected? This is a glaring coaching problem imo.

If CPJ gets fired there ain’t no way in hell we hire from his coaching tree.

GT_EE78

Banned
The only important thing at this time is for students,fans,alumni and donors to let Tstan know that HIS job is in jeopardy if CPJ stays for another year. But if you guys keep going with the "new coach" stuff then i'm gonna join in eventually . I mean bringing back the "Fun n Gun" wouldn't be out of the question.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
If CPJ gets fired there ain’t no way in hell we hire from his coaching tree.

Agree. Politically it won't happen. It'll be a whole new offense. And how weird would it be for the disciple to slide into where the sensei once stood. Even if we gave Monk or Bohannon an offer, they will not accept to not burn bridges with CPJ.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
my gut feel is that you're right and somehow the defense appears improved, but unfortunately we still are last in our division in "points allowed" . Tstan just seems like the Brain "brainless " era with a huge amount of PC PR piled on top, so he's a good PR guy but i'm not that close to it so i could be wrong there. Woody as HC is a non-starter. Keeping Woody sounds good but u gotta let the new HC decide that. The only important thing at this time is for students,fans,alumni and donors to let Tstan know that HIS job is in jeopardy if CPJ stays for another year.

I’m with you, overall still a work in progress. Also wonder where our points per game would be with better kickoff coverage and ball security (and without that failed fake punt against Pitt). Of course I’m sure we could point to opportunities missed by opponents as well. I’m looking at our ability to create havoc and am impressed. Tackling and playing assignments need to improve. We’ll see how it goes.

And great point about TStan, he has a big decision to make and hasn’t proven himself yet. He feels like the right guy, done some good things, but where we go from here is crucial.

Status
Not open for further replies.