Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
So I was at the game Saturday. Tailgating and Tech is always great. The crowd was in it until the three fumble debacle. But here is what I took away.
1. The defense is getting much better. They never quit and they are being disruptive. Duke also could not run the football.
2. Duke is good. Let's not sugar coat this, they are more like Spurrier's Duke. they have more coaches than us and have put more into their program than us. In 2014 when we were pretty darn good, they beat us. I thuink they probably win the Coastal this year.
3. Ta Quon is not the quarterback for us. I always believe the last two years it was meant to be Matthew Jordan. He was JT5's back up even when Ta Quon was around. Ta Quon is too slight o run mid line and he just isn't consistent in passing. Nesbitt was adequate passing, JT5 was a pretty good passer and really learned the offense. Tevin Washington was excellent at the offense and could at least throw. Also I am beginning to see issues at B-back. Let's face it, if things had worked as should Dedrick Mills and Marcus Marshall would be our co-B-backs right now, with Benson in reserve. The loss of Benson I think is hurting us as well.
4. The O-line is something I can't figure out. Duke is not exactly Clemson in the front. I think they think too much instead of just playing.

I believe those that want CPJ gone will get their wish. Maybe not this year but if things are like this year then next. So what then?
Forget the App State Coach, he is on his way to UNC. Now if we go get a change of offense Coach, folks get ready for a few things. Three years of being the doormat of the ACC, hoping the new guy does well. And if you want a big name coach, well get your check books out because ticket prices will double to pay the 7 million we will need.

I would get Monken or may Bohannon. Probably Bohannon to keep a form of the current offense, and convince Woody to stay with $$$$$.
^^ This is one of the better responses I've seen. ^^ It's a tough issue. No one likes to lose. But where does one go from here? In some ways, it's a little like Pepper Rodgers at the end. Coach Curry was unable to turn it around until about '84. That was about 3+ seasons of irrelevancy, even within the state of Georgia, before you could wear a Tech jersey around Atlanta without someone snickering. Then Curry left, and we were back to square one-until '89. This may not be a popular stand, but I'd like Coach Johnson to play out his contract, but with the expectation of retiring at the end. I think not having the pressure of "must-win" from the alums, backers and fan-base would allow him to concentrate more completely on coaching. During that time, he could also help with the search for a new coach and provide for a seamless transition.

Duke is good. They are not the guaranteed win of a decade ago.

Coach Johnson is a fighter, and he doesn't like to lose. I can't imagine him throwing in the towel, though everyone has their limits and breaking points. CPJ has done some good things at Tech, and I believe his tenure will be looked back on mostly favorably. In terms of personality, he and Coach Rodgers are my favorites, and I'll miss coach Johnson's wit and sarcasm after he's gone. As someone mentioned earlier, Coach Johnson does have the ability to surprise you with some memorable seasons. They seem to come out of nowhere, like '14. As Coloradojacket mentioned, we lost three very good backs that could have been difference-makers. And yes, barring Matthew Jordan's injuries, he would be the starter now. One thing that shouldn't be overlooked about Justin Thomas was his speed. Not only did he know that offense well, he could really break away once he found some space. Tevin Washington is another guy that doesn't get the respect he deserves. He had the unenviable job of coming in and filling in for JN, and ended up collecting a number of Tech records before it was all over. He really ran the offense well.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Changing coaches is NOT the only fix. But it is part of it...now. People don't have faith in the product anymore. turnovers are not caused by calculus.

No argument. I did not mean with my comments to imply we should not change coaches. Heck, I can't even watch this offense anymore. When *I* can name the play before the ball is snapped, I'm pretty sure the defense can too!

I was only trying to say that we should not expect miracles just because we change coaches if we don't address the fundamentals as well.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Tennessee recently had an AD who lasted less than a year because he wanted to bring in Schiano (sp?). People came out of the woodwork against that (right or wrong is a whole nother debate) and the AD got canned. Kiffin may be a great coach (I don't know) but Todd needs to steer clear of any controversy here. He simply can't afford further division amongst the fans.

TStan would be nothing short of a miracle worker if he can get this fan base to come to a consensus on anyone or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I came to the game for homecoming. I was in upper west on the 50. I could not see how many in the lower west but there were a lot of empty seats in the stadium. Let's face it that football is entertainment and if you don't entertain then you will pay at the box office. The offense is not exciting to most fans but if we were winning 8 or 9 games a year with big plays on offense then people will come to see it. What we have now is boring. Maybe former players may like some of the technical execution but what I saw Saturday was not fun to watch. Duke has this O figured out. Our D looked pretty good at times and is improving. That is encouraging. Duke really beat us in the line. They were getting off blocks and had lots of tackles for loss. There was not any time to throw and they had people in.our backfield all day. We did return the favor a few times. I thought Adams , Saint Amour, and Charlie Thomas played well. I just don't see enough wins with this team to go bowling. I hope I'm wrong.
In terms of replacing PJ , the right hire can turn this around just like Cut is doing but it has to be the right guy at the right time. Even Spurrier won at Duke but he saw there were easier places to win at. I do respect PJ not leaving when he probably could have left. He has the best interest in his players at heart. He sees more than just football for them. Unfortunately 3 million dollar salaries need to get results for the main objective of his job. He is now performing at subpar for what he is paid to do.

I was there, upper west 2o yard line. There just wasn't a lot to cheer about on offense. I don't care how "boring" the offense is, and I doubt very many others would, either, if it worked with any consistency. But it's clear that this offense requires a really, really good offensive line. It's spectacular against defenses that can't penetrate our backfield, and sputters against those that can. I'd like to see what this offense could do at a place where they have a very solid offensive line. I'll bet it would be fairly unstoppable.

I think the problem is that CPJ just can't seem to recruit well enough to make the TO work. Although it probably has some detrimental effect on our recruiting, I don't think it's principally the scheme that holds it back - I think it's that we have neither a good recruiting HC nor a decent recruiting budget. But I hate that we are going to abandon the TO (and we will). I think it's brilliant.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
So I was at the game Saturday. Tailgating and Tech is always great. The crowd was in it until the three fumble debacle. But here is what I took away.
1. The defense is getting much better. They never quit and they are being disruptive. Duke also could not run the football.
2. Duke is good. Let's not sugar coat this, they are more like Spurrier's Duke. they have more coaches than us and have put more into their program than us. In 2014 when we were pretty darn good, they beat us. I thuink they probably win the Coastal this year.
3. Ta Quon is not the quarterback for us. I always believe the last two years it was meant to be Matthew Jordan. He was JT5's back up even when Ta Quon was around. Ta Quon is too slight o run mid line and he just isn't consistent in passing. Nesbitt was adequate passing, JT5 was a pretty good passer and really learned the offense. Tevin Washington was excellent at the offense and could at least throw. Also I am beginning to see issues at B-back. Let's face it, if things had worked as should Dedrick Mills and Marcus Marshall would be our co-B-backs right now, with Benson in reserve. The loss of Benson I think is hurting us as well.
4. The O-line is something I can't figure out. Duke is not exactly Clemson in the front. I think they think too much instead of just playing.

I believe those that want CPJ gone will get their wish. Maybe not this year but if things are like this year then next. So what then?
Forget the App State Coach, he is on his way to UNC. Now if we go get a change of offense Coach, folks get ready for a few things. Three years of being the doormat of the ACC, hoping the new guy does well. And if you want a big name coach, well get your check books out because ticket prices will double to pay the 7 million we will need.

I would get Monken or may Bohannon. Probably Bohannon to keep a form of the current offense, and convince Woody to stay with $$$$$.
Why would you want to keep this offense? If I knew we were gonna do that, I'd say keep Johnson, but I for one want the triple option to be an afterthought after this year.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I was at the game. I was having a good time until the fumbles. I have been a CPJ guy and I still like him, but its time. losses to Duke 4 of 5? no bowls for 3 of 4 soon? I know that CPJ didnt fumble 3 times, nor did he miss tackles, but the bick stops with him and his teams have look awful on offense and STs and he coaches both! If we need better players that can tackle or who don't fumble thats on him too. This is the year and this was the game that sealed it. As much as TStan is supportive, he didn't hire CPJ and probably wants to put his stamp on the athletic program with a new HC. The Question is "can TStan close the deal on a great new hire?" Can we talk about who that might be?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I was at the game. I was having a good time until the fumbles. I have been a CPJ guy and I still like him, but its time. losses to Duke 4 of 5? no bowls for 3 of 4 soon? I know that CPJ didnt fumble 3 times, nor did he miss tackles, but the bick stops with him and his teams have look awful on offense and STs and he coaches both! If we need better players that can tackle or who don't fumble thats on him too. This is the year and this was the game that sealed it. As much as TStan is supportive, he didn't hire CPJ and probably wants to put his stamp on the athletic program with a new HC. The Question is "can TStan close the deal on a great new hire?" Can we talk about who that might be?
My Top 10 future GT head coach wish list as of now

1)Scott Satterfield head coach Appalachian State
2)Scott Frost head coach Nebraska
3)Neal Brown head coach Troy
4)John Grass head coach Jacksonville State
5)Josh Gattis Alabama Offensive Coordinator
6)Mike Houston head coach James Madison
7)Kyle Whittingham head coach Utah
8)Tony Elliott Offensive Coordinator Clemson
9)Mike Norvell head coach Memphis
10)John Stiegelmeier head coach South Dakota State

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Really? Who would really want the GT head coaching job right now? I would think it would have to be someone kind of desperate for an opportunity. (either their 1st opportunity or an opportunity to turn around a negative previous coaching reputation) If I was a young coach, I would skip us for another opportunity. I am sure Butch Jones or Hugh Freeze might try to redeem themselves with our job, but is that what we want? Lane Kiffin is a douche, but if that is what you want, he might come here, but I believe he is probably smarter than that.

Why?

Hard to recruit to a STEM school. Must play Clemson and UGAG every year. Downtown ATL. Knowing that you are coming in way behind the 8-ball if you want to put in a passing O. Compared to so many schools you are expected to beat, your budget and personnel (for recruiting and other) are going to be low. The fan base is small, and currently will not fill up or come close to filling up the home stadium. Fan base is not growing, but probably declining.

Guys: I know you want to be optimistic, but I don't see it. Will we find someone who will take the job? Sure, because there is always someone. Will we see different results? Doubtful.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I just don't see what is going to turn this program around with better recruiting. No QB that can pass is coming here even if they can run a 4.3 forty. We are on a downward trajectory and not sure what can turn it around under the same staff.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Really? Who would really want the GT head coaching job right now? I would think it would have to be someone kind of desperate for an opportunity. (either their 1st opportunity or an opportunity to turn around a negative previous coaching reputation) If I was a young coach, I would skip us for another opportunity. I am sure Butch Jones or Hugh Freeze might try to redeem themselves with our job, but is that what we want? Lane Kiffin is a douche, but if that is what you want, he might come here, but I believe he is probably smarter than that.

Why?

Hard to recruit to a STEM school. Must play Clemson and UGAG every year. Downtown ATL. Knowing that you are coming in way behind the 8-ball if you want to put in a passing O. Compared to so many schools you are expected to beat, your budget and personnel (for recruiting and other) are going to be low. The fan base is small, and currently will not fill up or come close to filling up the home stadium. Fan base is not growing, but probably declining.

Guys: I know you want to be optimistic, but I don't see it. Will we find someone who will take the job? Sure, because there is always someone. Will we see different results? Doubtful.
Better to make a change than to be stuck in the same funk for years on end;)

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
My Top 10 future GT head coach wish list as of now

1)Scott Satterfield head coach Appalachian State - might consider coming
2)Scott Frost head coach Nebraska - not going to happen; we can't pay more than Nebraska
3)Neal Brown head coach Troy - might consider coming
4)John Grass head coach Jacksonville State - might consider coming
5)Josh Gattis Alabama Offensive Coordinator - would be crazy to do it, as he will have much better opportunities down the road
6)Mike Houston head coach James Madison - might
7)Kyle Whittingham head coach Utah - no way - Utah pays him well
8)Tony Elliott Offensive Coordinator Clemson - again, same as Gattis
9)Mike Norvell head coach Memphis - might consider it
10)John Stiegelmeier head coach South Dakota State
- probably would consider coming

My question would be - On the ones that might consider coming, how do they overcome the recruiting issues for the Institute?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'd say changing head coaches after possibly not going to Bowl Games in 3 out of the last 4 seasons isn't change for change sake:rolleyes:

The "change for change sakes" meant that I don't believe it will bring better results. That is all it meant. I believe the issues now are much, much larger than who is the HC....

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
I just don't see what is going to turn this program around with better recruiting. No QB that can pass is coming here even if they can run a 4.3 forty. We are on a downward trajectory and not sure what can turn it around under the same staff.
Uga & Clemson are only going 5* qb’s , there’s gotta be some 4* or maybe high 3* kids out there that would like to come here . That can actually step back & throw

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Uga & Clemson are only going 5* qb’s , there’s gotta be some 4* or maybe high 3* kids out there that would like to come here . That can actually step back & throw
The recruiting is only going to be tougher in Georgia with Tennessee head coach Jeremy Pruitt having Georgia as his prime recruiting area. He will have a top 5 recruiting class in 2019 and give UGAG a run for their money

Status
Not open for further replies.