Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Seriously , I’d love to have Matt Campbell from Iowa st, but not sure we can afford him ! I’m not a fan of PJ or the offense , which I think kills recruiting , but things could get worse people : we don’t need to hire someone just to hire someone . Brent Key has no HC experience , but I’ve heard good & bad about him . We could get him for 800k a year probabaly but we don’t need to get someone just to get them cheap

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Actually Lane Kiffen would be a stellar hire for us. We have two choices if we make a change imho to recover the Tech faithful. Make a name hire like Kiffen or we hire a Tech guy like Goose, Key or Whisenhunt. We don’t need to hire a no name no matter how talented he might be. We need a Pastner like guy for the football program. Imagine the talk around our program if we hired Kiffen. We would be all over ESPN for months. Huge exposure that would help with recruiting. All the boards would be talking. Some of it would be negative but al least we are being talked about. It’s time for a us to get out of being stuffy and take a chance.

The comparison of Kiffen to Pastner is interesting. I was a fan of the Pastner hire because it was a budget hire but one that was basically forcing Pastner to give up money for a second chance to prove himself. It was a gamble that the issues he had was more issues with Memphis and less issues with Pastner. Oddly enough he has excelled in the areas that he struggled with at Memphis and struggled in the areas he was good. Jury is still out overall but at the worst we're on an upward trend from where we were under the previous coach. The big thing wasn't just the HC hire but the focus on the staff choices as well, and MBob, who had a lot of experience with good basketball hires, made sure we had good assistants as well.

Kiffen would likely come for cheaper than Johnson, he's making less than 1 mil I believe, and is a similar risky hire with a high upside. The gamble is has his time under Saban has helped him overcome his issues that he had prior. But it would give us more of a name coach, a better recruiter, and a fairly good offensive mind in his own right. Like with basketball it would require good surrounding coaches. Not sure about keeping Woody. It wouldn't be the worst thing and it could potentially lead to some semblance of continuity to help with the transition. Fortunately that decision would likely come after the season so we get to see if he really has the defense going well or if it's just the level of competition.

Overall Kiffen wouldn't be my favorite hire, but he'd probably be the biggest name we could get at the moment. Comes with a risk but so to would pretty much anyone we hire.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Sold. Sign me up! I’m a huge CPJ guy and love the 3O but I’m at the point of numbness. I’m alreasy at that point with basketball. Unfortunately, this season will put me there with football. My wife says to me yesterday “You’re not even mad today”. If I’m not mad then I know where I’m at with the state of the program...
Same on CPJ (big fan) but time for change imo and the change isn’t strickly because of CPJ it because I think the state of the program is at a point where change is needed because fewer and fewer fans are backing him it seems like and that’s not a good thing to help build the program. and I haven’t been getting mad since after the 2015 season to be honest. On a side note Heupel is a good coach and his offense is exciting to watch. Here’s some highlights of when he was OC at Missouri. ALOT of big plays.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The comparison of Kiffen to Pastner is interesting. I was a fan of the Pastner hire because it was a budget hire but one that was basically forcing Pastner to give up money for a second chance to prove himself. It was a gamble that the issues he had was more issues with Memphis and less issues with Pastner. Oddly enough he has excelled in the areas that he struggled with at Memphis and struggled in the areas he was good. Jury is still out overall but at the worst we're on an upward trend from where we were under the previous coach. The big thing wasn't just the HC hire but the focus on the staff choices as well, and MBob, who had a lot of experience with good basketball hires, made sure we had good assistants as well.

Kiffen would likely come for cheaper than Johnson, he's making less than 1 mil I believe, and is a similar risky hire with a high upside. The gamble is has his time under Saban has helped him overcome his issues that he had prior. But it would give us more of a name coach, a better recruiter, and a fairly good offensive mind in his own right. Like with basketball it would require good surrounding coaches. Not sure about keeping Woody. It wouldn't be the worst thing and it could potentially lead to some semblance of continuity to help with the transition. Fortunately that decision would likely come after the season so we get to see if he really has the defense going well or if it's just the level of competition.

Overall Kiffen wouldn't be my favorite hire, but he'd probably be the biggest name we could get at the moment. Comes with a risk but so to would pretty much anyone we hire.
I still like CPJ but I do hope at the end of this year he is ready to retire. My fear is he won't and our AD won't do anything. Lots of names have come up but we are not going to get them and I don't see any of them wanting to come here. Tech is not that great of of job that some think it is with all the baggage the head coach has to work around. I really think the best we can do is hire an up and coming coach who is willing to work hard 26 hours a day. ( yes I know there are 24 hours in a day ) maybe we can keep him a few years.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Same on CPJ (big fan) but time for change imo and the change isn’t strickly because of CPJ it because I think the state of the program is at a point where change is needed because fewer and fewer fans are backing him it seems like and that’s not a good thing to help build the program. and I haven’t been getting mad since after the 2015 season to be honest. On a side note Heupel is a good coach and his offense is exciting to watch. Here’s some highlights of when he was OC at Missouri. ALOT of big plays.

Waning fan support is working against CPJ's chances of getting another year even more than the W-L record. If the Jackets beat VT and UNC, they have a chance for a relatively decent crowd (maybe) vs. Miami, and maybe UVA if we win that one, but outside of that happening I'd say this will be his last year.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I still like CPJ but I do hope at the end of this year he is ready to retire. My fear is he won't and our AD won't do anything. Lots of names have come up but we are not going to get them and I don't see any of them wanting to come here. Tech is not that great of of job that some think it is with all the baggage the head coach has to work around. I really think the best we can do is hire an up and coming coach who is willing to work hard 26 hours a day. ( yes I know there are 24 hours in a day ) maybe we can keep him a few years.

I have to believe there are good people out there who can coach, recruit, and sell the program - not so much proven coaches but probably some that are under the radar - who would jump at the chance. We just need the right search team to find them and the right AD to make the final call. Hopefully, Stansbury is the right AD.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Waning fan support is working against CPJ's chances of getting another year even more than the W-L record. If the Jackets beat VT and UNC, they have a chance for a relatively decent crowd (maybe) vs. Miami, and maybe UVA if we win that one, but outside of that happening I'd say this will be his last year.

All the STH’s near my seats are tired. I think CPJ is brilliant, but you know what? Einstein couldn’t teach undergrads either. I love the TO when it works, but it’s incredibly inconsistent today.

I’m for bold action to bring excitement. Lane Kiffin and a 4 yr contact. We’d be relevant again.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I have to believe there are good people out there who can coach, recruit, and sell the program - not so much proven coaches but probably some that are under the radar - who would jump at the chance. We just need the right search team to find them and the right AD to make the final call. Hopefully, Stansbury is the right AD.
Scott Frost of Nebraska may be available in December. Nebraska could wind up 0-12 resulting in Scott Frost getting canned in December. I wouldn't mind GT interviewing him in December if they're looking for a head football coach and Scott Frost is available:cool:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Scott Frost of Nebraska may be available in December. Nebraska could wind up 0-12 resulting in Scott Frost getting canned in December. I wouldn't mind GT interviewing him in December if they're looking for a head football coach and Scott Frost is available:cool:

This is the state of our program ... hoping a coach goes 0-12 so we can hire him. Hilarious.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

I read where Nebraska owes him $26 million and still owes two former coaches, but if they give him the axe we might get him real cheap. But would we want Scott Frost? (I'm asking because I don't know anything about him).

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I read where Nebraska owes him $26 million and still owes two former coaches, but if they give him the axe we might get him real cheap. But would we want Scott Frost? (I'm asking because I don't know anything about him).
He did a great job at UCF guiding them to a 12-0 record in 2017 and i would have him in my top 5 list of potential GT head football coaches

Ramblin741

Banned
This is the state of our program ... hoping a coach goes 0-12 so we can hire him. Hilarious.

Hahahaha, made me laugh out loud. Pretty funny and sad at the same time. It feels like we are headed to being a dumpster fire program and might be stuck there for a long time

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Hahahaha, made me laugh out loud. Pretty funny and sad at the same time. It feels like we are headed to being a dumpster fire program and might be stuck there for a long time
Sitting the irony aside Scott Frost would probably be a better hire than most of the potential head coaches mentioned on the Swarm lately even if he goes 0-12 coaching a talentless team at Nebraska.......................................just sayin';)

Ramblin741

Banned
Sitting the irony aside Scott Frost would probably be a better hire than most of the potential head coaches mentioned on the Swarm lately even if he goes 0-12 coaching a talentless team at Nebraska.......................................just sayin';)

He would be better than Key, I will give you that. If the best we can do is hire a positional coach then I think there will be about a million other things I can do to fill my time than follow GT football. We will have officially thrown in the towel if we hire Key just to bring in a GT guy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.