Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
If there is a georgia tech grad that went undefeated last year sure. Otherwise GT isn't exactly quick to turn on coaches, and it's pretty much understood that things are going to be bad as we wait for certain pieces to be brought in and gain experience. Even gregory got 5 years and he pretty much bottomed out and stayed there.

Key is a decent choice not because of his connections with GT but because he's a top assistant for the best coach in football and has about as good a resume as you can get for someone who hasn't been a head coach.
Gregory didn't bottom out and stay there. He was actually trending upwards, albeit at the pace of an old Ford Tri-Motor trying to gain altitude on takeoff. No one expected him to get to the NIT in his last season and give a respectable showing... I think they should have at least let him play out the last year of his contract. Coach Gregory gave it his all while he was at Tech, and he had won the support of the locker room, which says a lot.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Gregory didn't bottom out and stay there. He was actually trending upwards, albeit at the pace of an old Ford Tri-Motor trying to gain altitude on takeoff. No one expected him to get to the NIT in his last season and give a respectable showing... I think they should have at least let him play out the last year of his contract. Coach Gregory gave it his all while he was at Tech, and he had won the support of the locker room, which says a lot.

Trending upward? He made the NIT on a team that would go on to lose pretty much everyone who played. GIve him another year and he would have probably won 2 ACC games if that.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Since you asked: two of the three ACC title appearances, two of the three wins over UGAg, one of the Orange Bowls, one of the 11 win seasons.

But
1) the “his players” line is ridiculous to use in any sports argument AND
2) you don’t really care anyway. You’re just blowing the same horn as 3 or 4 other guys around here who are REALLY enjoying this season.
I hate losing !! I just want what I think is best for GT! To me someone who thinks the status quo is good enough is not a true fan

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Trending upward? He made the NIT on a team that would go on to lose pretty much everyone who played. GIve him another year and he would have probably won 2 ACC games if that.

Whoa... am I going to discover that you and I disagree on almost all football arguments but agree on basketball? I gotta take a minute...

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I hate losing !! I just want what I think is best for GT! To me someone who thinks the status quo is good enough is not a true fan

FYI, I am one of the most consistent CPJ supporters on this forum, and I am on record today saying it is time for a change after this season.

I have almost nothing in common with the CPJ-bashers on this forum, but I want GT to win, as well.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Duke will never be a Clemson or Alabama. But their school decided years ago to make an investment. Duke made huge stadium renovations, and added so much staff that theirs is now the 3rd largest in the ACC. They’ll never win a national championship, but you can see what a difference those investments make after a few years of building over time. Having all those additional recruiting and coaching resources does matter.

Million $$$$ Question:

Do you think GT will get better results with CPJ even if we our program gets more $$$?

Here's the thing some don't want to admit: $$$ will not change the players CPJ will be able to recruit. GT already recruits nationally, a few more $$$ in the recruiting budget will not all of a sudden change Johnny 4/5 star's mind about CPJ. Kids come to school primarily to play for a coach, academics, and because they want to play a certain style (and possibly because a school has a soft serve ice cream machine...but that's another story). HS kids know by now what they are getting with CPJ and GT. CPJ can no longer sell kids on "opening up the offense". He played that card already, and scrapped it halfway into 2013.

I was looking back on our recruiting. CPJ's best recruiting years was early in his tenure at GT. He recruited in the 40's. His message was new, and kids had 2008 and 2009 fresh on their minds. Our best year, better than even 2009, was 2014. We didn't do much to capitalize on that, IMO, because kids knew CPJ's style and the message got old.

If kids come to a school because of a coach, academics, and playing style...and the coach no longer inspires recruits, and recruits don't want to play a particular style...well, academics better be one heck of a calling card. Well, GT is an elite education, and it's not easy. Recruits know it's not easy, so the coach and playing style better make up for it. Sure, there might be a kid or 2 like Parker or JeT, but for the most part kids want to play another style.

More $$$ will not help unless we change one of the 3 things we mentioned...but seeing as how GT can't change the academic part of it, you can do the math from there.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
If there was one with a legit resume for the job, sure. But there isn't. Key is probably closest, but even then, Im not sold.

I’ll wait for the last time a “Tech Man” was head coach....

If you want to recharge the program that’s an excellent start.

ctcjb

Georgia Tech Fan
IF there was a hire like Key, the "key" will be who he brings as coordinators. Think Dabo....his coordinator hires have been vital to their success. Who are Key's former colleagues that he could bring with him on Offense? (thinking Woody would stick around)

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Whiz bombed as a head coach outside of a magical playoff run with a rejuvenated Kurt Warner. Can't see him understanding the modern college game or wanting to pound the pavement as a recruiter. Would be an epic fail of a hire, IMO. Gimme a young and hungry, high energy recruiter, preferably with an exciting offensive style.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Whiz bombed as a head coach outside of a magical playoff run with a rejuvenated Kurt Warner. Can't see him understanding the modern college game or wanting to pound the pavement as a recruiter. Would be an epic fail of a hire, IMO. Gimme a young and hungry, high energy recruiter, preferably with an exciting offensive style.
Lame Kiffin?

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
I looked back at some ucf message boards & they said Key was a terrible coach , but I would think if Saban hired you that you’re pretty good
I’ve heard different thing about him good and bad but one common thing I’ve heard and read is how great of a recruiter he is and it would be great to have someone that can come in and recruit some top guys to Tech. Especially keep a lot of these guys at home that don’t go to UGA and don’t let them get out of state.

And you’re right the fact that Saban already had his full staff in place and moved guys around to make space for Key says something. And he didn’t hire key just for his recruiting abilities. Not sure why UCF broke their contract with him and didn’t give him the head coaching spot after O’Leary but I think he could
Be a good option and someone that would come to tech and wanna be there. I know there’s other options but he’s one to for them to keep in mind and interview. Coach the talent we have and take a couple of down years to get the program back to the top of the acc and hopefully more.

slugboy

Staff member
Johnson legit wanted to modernize the offense when he recruited vad lee. When monken left for southern and we ended up hiring cook he had a few others he wanted at the time to do just this. He was told no, so he tried to do it himself with Vad. What happened that spooked him is that we became completely mediocre at everything. We couldn't run the option, we couldn't run the routes. We couldn't do anything. Johnson fell back on what he knew. JT happened.

We'll see what happens. Who knows johnson could hire an OC after this year work with him and invent a new offense. The man hasn't forgotten how it works. He could just adopt the RPO as a package too.

Hey, first off, I’m not picking at you, but I am picking at the quote and the idea behind it.

This doesn’t make sense to me for a couple of reasons. Not saying he didn’t get the hires he wanted, but I don’t get it as an excuse.

Cook came from CalPoly, and had run more passing out of the flexbone already. So, unless he was going to stop using the flexbone, I’m not sure who he was hiring. Scott Frost? UCF’s OC?

After the first year, CPJ seemed to squash everything Cook tried to introduce. Maybe he got spooked, and as head coach he gets flak for everything, but it’s his job to set a vision for where the football team is going. He can get spooked, but he can’t get complacent. In 2008 and 2009, other coaches were scared of him as an opponent, and they aren’t now.

Also, there are other coaches who’ve added wrinkles or modernized their offense without making big hires.

The coaching staff was full, so he would have had to let people go on offense, unless we were going to have 3 defense coaches and the rest on offense. Those people are still here and we still have the same issues we had after Monken left. So not only am I not sure who he was hiring, but I’m not sure who he was firing, and why he didn’t.

This quote didn’t come out when we had JT and were scoring a lot of points. The offense “was fine” then. It was “fine” last week. Now, he wanted to make changes but wasn’t allowed to.

He could have made changes with JT, since he could have handled the changes. Instead, he could have bitten the bullet and made them last year when he saw we were having issues (and we did have offensive issues last year). He could have done it this Spring so we were ready going into the season. He could have done something after USF or Pitt—especially after Pitt. He can do it now.

I’ve heard you can’t implement anything new during the season, but it’s realistically his last chance. And if that quote is accurate, this isn’t on MBob, it’s on CPJ—he knew something had to be done and didn’t do it. When TStan came in, was his first ask for offensive coaches to open up his system?

He needs to find a way and get the offense ready to play and recruit to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Lame Kiffin?

I was totally against it when it was first suggested, but now, I could probably be talked into getting behind it. He would inject excitement, be motivated to resurrect his career, is a very smart coach schematically and has a ton of experience for his age.

Yes, he has engaged in trollish and clownish behavior, but mostly because he has a big mouth. I havent seen any evidence that he is dirty in the sense of cheating.

If he shows interest, I would interview him. For the record, I doubt TStan would. Lol.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If he shows interest, I would interview him. For the record, I doubt TStan would. Lol.

It would be wise of TStan not to talk to him. Guy may be a legitimate coach but TStan can't afford to bring in a guy who has some ?'s around him or his character. This next hire needs to be a home run that will rally (and not further split) our diminishing fan base.

Status
Not open for further replies.