Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
We had not used and timeouts yet. We wasted a game freshman year for our highly rated q.b to save a time-out. This I can’t understand

He can play in up to 4 games without losing his redshirt,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
The poor crowd for homecoming is a symptom of a disease. The disease being one of irrelevance and complacency. The acceptance of mediocrity in favor of supposed academic superiority and elitism. This is a program well on the way to becoming an afterthought like SMU, Tulane, Vanderbilt and Wake Forrest. Yes, it is that critical.

I predicted when Paul Johnson was hired that he would drive this program into the ground. It has taken longer than I thought it would, but it is happening--if it hasn't already happened.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I predicted when Paul Johnson was hired that he would drive this program into the ground. It has taken longer than I thought it would, but it is happening--if it hasn't already happened.

Yep, the path to “into the ground” happened to go through 3 ACC title appearances, 1 ACC title, 2 ACC Coach of the Years, 3 wins over UGAg, 2 Orange Bowls, and 2 eleven-win seasons. So I guess you’re right, it took longer than you thought it would.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
A couple thing I know to be true about Brent:

- He loves GT and hates UGA as much as anyone (obviously so does a guy like Roof, doesn’t mean he would be a good HC)
- He has a lot of energy
- He recruits his butt off
- He understands the need to be physical up front and has been tutored by one very good coach (O’Leary) and one great one (Saban)

How would he fare at GT? I have no idea, but there are some obvious reasons that if we do move on from PJ, he should at least get an interview and be considered.

Exactly. He knows GT. Make him tell us no.
Same with Goose.

Milwaukee

Banned

It may actually be finally happening, I don't know...but you do realize that admitting 11 years ago you claimed this actually makes you look more stupid than it does Nostradamus don't you?

"I'm going to die one day" - Milwaukee
When Milwaukee dies: "He called it" - Jacketup

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
Johnson legit wanted to modernize the offense when he recruited vad lee. When monken left for southern and we ended up hiring cook he had a few others he wanted at the time to do just this. He was told no, so he tried to do it himself with Vad. What happened that spooked him is that we became completely mediocre at everything. We couldn't run the option, we couldn't run the routes. We couldn't do anything. Johnson fell back on what he knew. JT happened.

We'll see what happens. Who knows johnson could hire an OC after this year work with him and invent a new offense. The man hasn't forgotten how it works. He could just adopt the RPO as a package too.
Anyone remember that CPJ actually worked with June Jones out at Hawaii, doing the run-and-shoot? He wouldn't have been part of June Jones's offensive staff if he couldn't coach and operate this system. Had he had the resources and full backing at Tech... say, a Crecine/Homer Rice type backing, I believe you would have seen a much more balanced, Bobby Ross type of offense with more of the kind of passing that you saw with Shawn Jones. (Interestingly, that 1990 offense actually featured more option than I once realized!). Put another way, if UGA had had Coach Johnson at the helm during this same time span, they may have had another title by now.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Yep, the path to “into the ground” happened to go through 3 ACC title appearances, 1 ACC title, 2 ACC Coach of the Years, 3 wins over UGAg, 2 Orange Bowls, and 2 eleven-win seasons. So I guess you’re right, it took longer than you thought it would.
What has he done with his players?

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
As painful as it is to say this, it’s time for a change. I am a huge PJ and option fan but I have finally reached my breaking point.

Matt E

GT Athlete
The subject of Key is an interesting one. Look at Scott Frost at Nebraska as a comparison. They have started 0-6 and their fans are saying this is the worst Nebraska team of all time. What if Frost wasn't a "Nebraska Man"? Would they already be trying to run him out of town? The reason I ask is many believe that when PJ leaves and we reset our roster into a new system with guys out of position, no TEs on the roster, limited WR options, etc, we will really struggle and it could get ugly before it gets any better. Would our fan base be patient? If it were a Tech Man would there be significantly more grace given?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The subject of Key is an interesting one. Look at Scott Frost at Nebraska as a comparison. They have started 0-6 and their fans are saying this is the worst Nebraska team of all time. What if Frost wasn't a "Nebraska Man"? Would they already be trying to run him out of town? The reason I ask is many believe that when PJ leaves and we reset our roster into a new system with guys out of position, no TEs on the roster, limited WR options, etc, we will really struggle and it could get ugly before it gets any better. Would our fan base be patient? If it were a Tech Man would there be significantly more grace given?

If there is a georgia tech grad that went undefeated last year sure. Otherwise GT isn't exactly quick to turn on coaches, and it's pretty much understood that things are going to be bad as we wait for certain pieces to be brought in and gain experience. Even gregory got 5 years and he pretty much bottomed out and stayed there.

Key is a decent choice not because of his connections with GT but because he's a top assistant for the best coach in football and has about as good a resume as you can get for someone who hasn't been a head coach.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
What has he done with his players?

Since you asked: two of the three ACC title appearances, two of the three wins over UGAg, one of the Orange Bowls, one of the 11 win seasons.

But
1) the “his players” line is ridiculous to use in any sports argument AND
2) you don’t really care anyway. You’re just blowing the same horn as 3 or 4 other guys around here who are REALLY enjoying this season.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
1)Scott Satterfield
2)Neal Brown
3)Mike Norvell
4)George Godsey
5)Dino Babers
6)Charlie Strong

I think 5,6 are probably gonna want too much $$
All of those except Godsey will want too much money. Keep in mind that Norvell and Strong make $2.5 million next year. We pay CPJ $3 million, but we save a bit of money on not hiring an OC. So, we will need to hire one of those guys for about $3.5 million (the going rate for new ACC head coaches, using Fuente and Mendenhall for reference) and hire an OC. Considering how little money we spend, it's not a good situation.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Since you asked: two of the three ACC title appearances, two of the three wins over UGAg, one of the Orange Bowls, one of the 11 win seasons.

First off one of those ACC title appearances was a 6-6 year we backed in because other teams were ineligible.

Otherwise it's really just one season 2011. Phrasing it 3 different ways doesn't really change much.

Status
Not open for further replies.