Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
A huge corner we have painted ourselves in is that our offensive system and HC are married together. Having to go all in on our offensive scheme makes any transition difficult, even with a retirement rather than a firing.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="RyanS12, post. Quite honestly Tech isn’t that attractive if a job anymore. .
This is something we need to understand , and some don't believe it.[/QUOTE]
You and @RyanS12 both get it. GT has serious issues and changing the coach will be like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.....it won’t change the ultimate outcome because you’re not addressing the real problems.....

slugboy

Staff member
I will have to look into that. Wasnt aware.

Can confirm. Also can confirm that what Vols fans were maddest at was that he left before they could fire him.

USC fired him a few years later, after he lost the team, badly.

Maybe he’s matured as a coach, but Saban kept him on a short leash and wasn’t sad to let him go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
This is something we need to understand , and some don't believe it.
You and @RyanS12 both get it. GT has serious issues and changing the coach will be like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.....it won’t change the ultimate outcome because you’re not addressing the real problems.....[/QUOTE]

What’s more likely to happen? GT will address the fundamental issue you are referring to, or that they won’t? I say they won’t.

So, given that, what course of action would you take?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is something we need to understand , and some don't believe it.
You and @RyanS12 both get it. GT has serious issues and changing the coach will be like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.....it won’t change the ultimate outcome because you’re not addressing the real problems.....[/QUOTE]

I think everyone understands the systemic issues require time and money. We are not unreasonable fans. But the conundrum TStan faces is...how do you get the $$$ if people are disengaged with the program? Changing coaches is NOT the only fix. But it is part of it...now. People don't have faith in the product anymore. turnovers are not caused by calculus.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
A huge corner we have painted ourselves in is that our offensive system and HC are married together. Having to go all in on our offensive scheme makes any transition difficult, even with a retirement rather than a firing.

I am not sure I agree with this. We turn our a backs into slot receivers. We have some good primary backs in the current b back slot. We have tall receivers who can block and catch. The big issue is could we teach our line to block in a zone scheme. (I have always thought could switch from a cut heavy system to a zone scheme).We are set to run the air raid and heavy passing offense by recruiting one very good qb. With the right coach, this could be an easy sell for some players. You will be the savior for Tech and be a high profile in Atlanta.

Actually Lane Kiffen would be a stellar hire for us. We have two choices if we make a change imho to recover the Tech faithful. Make a name hire like Kiffen or we hire a Tech guy like Goose, Key or Whisenhunt. We don’t need to hire a no name no matter how talented he might be. We need a Pastner like guy for the football program. Imagine the talk around our program if we hired Kiffen. We would be all over ESPN for months. Huge exposure that would help with recruiting. All the boards would be talking. Some of it would be negative but al least we are being talked about. It’s time for a us to get out of being stuffy and take a chance.
I have been a huge supporter of Paul the entire time but it’s time. With the changes in college football recruiting , I just don’t think the option at a P5 school can get talent. In the past ten years social media has exploded. That’s one of the differences we don’t want to talk about. It’s too easy to recruit against us with you consider academics and our scheme.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I agree , but this a problem you hire a new head coach sit down with me tell him ( the truth about what the Hill wants ) and tell him oh when you hire your assistant coaches you have to keep this coach. I know what I would do if I was him.
I’m not saying he would HAVE to but at least say hey the players like CNW we would like to keep him but it’s ultimately your decision.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I like Heupel a lot but I want to see if he’s that good or is he getting by with a talented roster and a Heisman type QB that was already there? Not that I’m opposed to him but it’ll be interesting to see what he can do with out Milton at QB.
The year before he became the offensive coordinator for Missouri their offense was ranked in the 90’s. The very next year (his first year there) they were top 15 and top 15 the next year. He also did good at Oklahoma and coached the Heisman winner in Bradford.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Josh Heuple in my opinion wouldn't leave UCF for GT
Probably not. He’s got it made at UCF. Quite honestly Tech isn’t that attractive of a job anymore. And it’s all to do with the Academic arm. I know people hate the 3O but the reason PJ was a good fit is because the service academies are similar to Tech in a way. Not defending our country way, but the unique challenges they both present to the kids. I have a hard time seeing someone coming from a FAU or UCF type place, where they can get kids to major in PE! This next hire screams of an up and comer that’s going to use us as a stepping stone or a Monken, Ken N type that can deal with the issues they’ll face at GT. I’m fine with the option. I’d like to see some variation to it though. Some shotgun or quick passes.
Someone on this board who’s son knows Heupel and was asked to coach for him said his son believes Heupel would take the GT job. While we might not be the big attractive school, we are certainly more attractive than UCF who really doesn’t play very good competition. He would also get a hefty raise and have the chance to land better talent at a school this is finally showing they want to win and are willing to do things to win.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Someone on this board who’s son knows Heupel and was asked to coach for him said his son believes Heupel would take the GT job. While we might not be the big attractive school, we are certainly more attractive than UCF who really doesn’t play very good competition. He would also get a hefty raise and have the chance to land better talent at a school this is finally showing they want to win and are willing to do things to win.
I would love for GT to hire Josh Heupel,that would be a home run hire(y)

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
The year before he became the offensive coordinator for Missouri their offense was ranked in the 90’s. The very next year (his first year there) they were top 15 and top 15 the next year. He also did good at Oklahoma and coached the Heisman winner in Bradford.
Sold. Sign me up! I’m a huge CPJ guy and love the 3O but I’m at the point of numbness. I’m alreasy at that point with basketball. Unfortunately, this season will put me there with football. My wife says to me yesterday “You’re not even mad today”. If I’m not mad then I know where I’m at with the state of the program...

Status
Not open for further replies.