Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The App State guy would come and pitch a tent.
Also James Madison’s coach has done an outstanding job.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
TStan impresses me with a long-term view and I think he and CPJ already had this conversation before the contract extension. CPJ is going to stay in some capacity through 2022. And as part of that, he'll assist in the transition to a new coach. TStan could just order him to hire an OC and make staff changes next year as a placeholder, but TStan is mindful of the costs. As long as he is communicating this to the money crowd, they won't be surprised.

OC is the best thing CPJ does- Not recruiting ,selling the program, creating excitement or building strong Defenses or Special Teams.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think he gets fired this year no matter the outcome...but if we win 3 games and keep looking as bad as we have at times he might resign...he's said before that he'll retire when he doesn't feel like he's doing a good job anymore.

Honestly, Tech should give him another year if they bought into the, "i need more staff, a better locker room, and an aggressive D coordinator" pitch. That wasn't going to translate to a better team after just one year.

Maybe he turns it around this year, maybe next year...I don't know. I guess where I am is that the problems I see don't get fixed easily. We look very poorly coached at some fundamental things (tackling, executing a freakin' kickoff, knowing who to block, etc.). He keeps saying, "we missed assignments...we need to coach 'em better"...why is that happening? I'm sure they don't know, but I sure as hell hope they're trying different techniques to get the assignments to stick. The truth is that if week in and week out a team is missing assignments all over the place then the coaching staff is not doing a good job of communicating what needs to happen for those specific kids. If they aren't trying some different teaching techniques then they're asking for the problems to stick around.

The only silver lining I see is if Graham becomes the greatest QB CPJ has ever had here next year and can overcome the young O Line that will be playing . The recruiting does not look any better at this point (Rivals- Tech is 11th in conference- Wake Forest has 2 4Star Playea to GT’s none). Tech has a Senior laden Offense and Defensive line that will be replaced by young guys. I really do not see any reason to continue this experiment with CPJ after this year.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
OC is the best thing CPJ does- Not recruiting ,selling the program, creating excitement or building strong Defenses or Special Teams.

He’s a great 58 year old OC. Do you want to get him to train someone or just ride off into the sunset?

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
He’s a great 58 year old OC. Do you want to get him to train someone or just ride off into the sunset?

As long as he trains the OC to have a passing game and run an offense that attracts good talent I am all for that. Unfortunately I think if he hung around the the stigma would remain at Tech- I have heard too many stories from High School coaches that the high rated prospects don’t even consider going to Tech.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
As long as he trains the OC to have a passing game and run an offense that attracts good talent I am all for that. Unfortunately I think if he hung around the the stigma would remain at Tech- I have heard too many stories from High School coaches that the high rated prospects don’t even consider going to Tech.

Exactly. High rated kids want to flourish and want the spotlight. They are limelight kids. They want the program to be renamed after them lol. Plus they want an offense and defense that will make them money. For I'd say 75%of 5 star and 4 star athletes it's about going pro. What can your program do to get me there, not so much what can I do for the program. That's where once you get them on campus you break them and show them they will be a 1st rounder if they work as a team and their talents will shine through. Promise them so many handoffs, so many targets, so many snaps.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
in the postgame presser, he was complaining about TQ's inability to complete a short pass "while 9 men are stacked in the box".

Well, the poor kid doesn't get much opportunity to throw the damn ball, what do you expect? Plus, he's a converted RB not a true QB. And then you roll the guy to his left and try to make him throw with his right arm....it's just stupid the way we try to pass the ball.

That particular play was a straight 3 step drop, just like any offense. BTW, any offense that has any sprint sprint out passing (usually because of protection issues) is going to have some situations where you have to roll out the opposite of the QB throwing arm. The much bigger passing systematic issue is the QB twirl drop back that we used to do. I haven't seen that nearly as much recently. TQM has been missing a lot of 3 & 5 step drops this year.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Lol. He’s going to hang around. He’s the head coach.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. High rated kids want to flourish and want the spotlight. They are limelight kids. They want the program to be renamed after them lol. Plus they want an offense and defense that will make them money. For I'd say 75%of 5 star and 4 star athletes it's about going pro. What can your program do to get me there, not so much what can I do for the program. That's where once you get them on campus you break them and show them they will be a 1st rounder if they work as a team and their talents will shine through. Promise them so many handoffs, so many targets, so many snaps.

Repeat after me. We aren’t going to get 5 star kids today. There are 125 D1 schools playing football, the vast majority of 5s will go to Top 20 schools. Tech is a 7-5 program. Our mission has be development. Just like 100 other schools.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Repeat after me. We aren’t going to get 5 star kids today. There are 125 D1 schools playing football, the vast majority of 5s will go to Top 20 schools. Tech is a 7-5 program. Our mission has be development. Just like 100 other schools.

I understand that. But we have the opposite mentality of becoming a top 20 school. I truly believe we can be a top 25 program year in and out starting in the next 5 years

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow

Maybe not 5 star but there were a lot of NFL players here when CPJ arrived and he has blown that momentum. As stated by other posters Gailey got the talent here but could not maximize the talent. CPJ probably gets more with less and did a strong job with Gailey’s recruits. Since then it’s been mostly disappointing based on expectations.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I understand that. But we have the opposite mentality of becoming a top 20 school. I truly believe we can be a top 25 program year in and out starting in the next 5 years

I believe it also. There is plenty of talent that wants to get a world class education. You have to eliminate the negative recruiting that the offense causes

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Maybe not 5 star but there were a lot of NFL players here when CPJ arrived and he has blown that momentum. As stated by other posters Gailey got the talent here but could not maximize the talent. CPJ probably gets more with less and did a strong job with Gailey’s recruits. Since then it’s been mostly disappointing based on expectations.

We had more talent when CPJ arrived, sure. We don’t run a program that prepares kids for the NFL (1) and it’s friggin hard (2). We are a 7-5 program that will occasionally catch lightning in a bottle. I do think we can be a 0.670 program ... but that’s not what 5s want. So, we have to outsmart the competition with 3s and 4s.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
We had more talent when CPJ arrived, sure. We don’t run a program that prepares kids for the NFL (1) and it’s friggin hard (2). We are a 7-5 program that will occasionally catch lightning in a bottle. I do think we can be a 0.670 program ... but that’s not what 5s want. So, we have to outsmart the competition with 3s and 4s.

Once you start winning with 3s and 4s, with a college to nfl ready system that can attract a top 25 QB it may put you over the hill. Louisville is the perfect example of what not to do lol. They took a decent to great qb and went the wrong way with recruiting. They actually set themselves back

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Once you start winning with 3s and 4s, with a college to nfl ready system that can attract a top 25 QB it may put you over the hill. Louisville is the perfect example of what not to do lol. They took a decent to great qb and went the wrong way with recruiting. They actually set themselves back

I’m interested to know what “winning” means. I define it as as winning 67% of games played. Which is also rare. And something we haven’t done in decades.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
in the postgame presser, he was complaining about TQ's inability to complete a short pass "while 9 men are stacked in the box".

Well, the poor kid doesn't get much opportunity to throw the damn ball, what do you expect? Plus, he's a converted RB not a true QB. And then you roll the guy to his left and try to make him throw with his right arm....it's just stupid the way we try to pass the ball.
Are you at practice? CPJ has stated TM passes pretty during practice.
Confident that they throw plenty during practice.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe it also. There is plenty of talent that wants to get a world class education. You have to eliminate the negative recruiting that the offense causes
Where are all these 4 and 5 stars that want to get a world class education in Georgia Tech’s limited majors? Could you point them out so we can recruit them once the option offense is gone? Thanks in advance.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I’m interested to know what “winning” means. I define it as as winning 67% of games played. Which is also rare. And something we haven’t done in decades.

Winning is becoming a 8-10 game winner for 3 years straight. Catch the eye of some recruits. Sell our players as much as we possibly can to scouts for the nfl. Try and have at least 3-4 players go in the first 4 rounds of the draft. Then show players they dont have to come here to get an education they can come here to get to the nfl.

5 and 4 star players aren't worried about classes. They are focused on the nfl, so get their butts to the nfl. Just make sure they show up to class and get at least bare minimum to graduate. It's rare that these guys graduate anyways. We like for them to, but it's not a big deal if we are constantly in the top 20. We need to be a stopping point for athletes to get to the nfl like bama,Clemson, uga, USC, vt, florida state, florida are. We can do it with academics, just put the system to work. Get a coach that can recruit above his level, grab a couple more 4 star players. Get us to about 9 wins for at least 3 years straight and then dump a load of money into scouting and recruiting. It honestly boils down to money. If you show a kid a path to the nfl and we can show we churn them out like clock work, then we will get those who play better. We just have to put the money to work.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Rather go after Tee Martin or Major Applewhite.

Going after Tech Men has damn near killed us.

The only competent one was Pepper, but it was done at the wrong place in time.

And we should have also given the job to a former dwag named Mac.

Agreed. This idea of hiring a coach just because he played at Tech is both short-sighted and misguided. If the best coach available happens to be a Tech man, the go for him. But we should never consider that as an important qualification.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.