Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think you have to have commitment from the administration for Tech to ever be a great football program.

This is the core issue. Tech is drowning in 1600 SAT applicants. And selelctive as to who gets in ... look at the acceptance rates as well. GT is a 32.3%, Clemson at 51.3, UGA at 54.0 Alabama at 52.9 and Tennessee at 76.3. (Yes, 3 out of 4 people who apply to UT are accepted. The only requirement is that you submit proof you can breathe unassisted.)

Tech operates athletics as part of a well-rounded school. They do not operate the school as part of a well-rounded athletic program. Culturally, that's the issue.

CUIEgrad21

Banned
So we should add Parks and Recreation like clempson has?

Lol, see a typical Tech fan. I believe this is a football forum, to discuss football. If I wanted to discuss academics there are plenty of other websites to do that one.

Ga Tech literally has a minor called Science Fiction Studies......Tech is not immune to BS classes either.

I’m taking up for Tech here. I mentioned you that I think you could be really good with what you have to offer. But this is the attitude among the fan base that will keep you getting beat by schools like USF.

I like Tech a lot. I considered getting my masters from the IE college.

CUIEgrad21

Banned
This is the core issue. Tech is drowning in 1600 SAT applicants. And selelctive as to who gets in ... look at the acceptance rates as well. GT is a 32.3%, Clemson at 51.3, UGA at 54.0 Alabama at 52.9 and Tennessee at 76.3. (Yes, 3 out of 4 people who apply to UT are accepted. The only requirement is that you submit proof you can breathe unassisted.)

Tech operates athletics as part of a well-rounded school. They do not operate the school as part of a well-rounded athletic program. Culturally, that's the issue.

So you’re telling me Searcy and Marshall have 1600 SAT scores ?? I can promise you they’re not held to the same standards as a regular Tech student.

Also, why blow money on an athletic program being mediocre? Why would you not want to be superior in athletics and academics?

You seem you think they can’t be mutually exclusive.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Lol, see a typical Tech fan. I believe this is a football forum, to discuss football. If I wanted to discuss academics there are plenty of other websites to do that one.

Ga Tech literally has a minor called Science Fiction Studies......Tech is not immune to BS classes either.

I’m taking up for Tech here. I mentioned you that I think you could be really good with what you have to offer. But this is the attitude among the fan base that will keep you getting beat by schools like USF.

I like Tech a lot. I considered getting my masters from the IE college.

Big difference between a minor and a major. Of course GT has some BS classes - every school does. What GT has is too few degree options and very few if any gimme majors. Clemson has probably double the degree options of GT. Don't intrepret my comment the wrong way, Clemson is a very good school.

Having said that, I do think that PJ's offense limits recruiting. Few philosophical changes and I could see him being able to get a few very good athletes each recruiting cycle. He simply won't do it.

One disagreement with your original post - the offense isn't "gimmicky". It actually works extremely well and it would be unbelievably good with Clemson talent, much better than the current offense you run. But, alas, we will never know for sure because Clemson talent only wants to play in the NFL and they never believe this offense can get them there.

CUIEgrad21

Banned
Big difference between a minor and a major. Of course GT has some BS classes - every school does. What GT has is too few degree options and very few if any gimme majors. Clemson has probably double the degree options of GT. Don't intrepret my comment the wrong way, Clemson is a very good school.

Having said that, I do think that PJ's offense limits recruiting. Few philosophical changes and I could see him being able to get a few very good athletes each recruiting cycle. He simply won't do it.

One disagreement with your original post - the offense isn't "gimmicky". It actually works extremely well and it would be unbelievably good with Clemson talent, much better than the current offense you run. But, alas, we will never know for sure because Clemson talent only wants to play in the NFL and they never believe this offense can get them there.

How does running a triple option prepare a quarterback like Trevor Lawrence for the NFL?

problem is, no one in P5 outside the service academies wants to run our gimmicky offense, with its ankle-dive blocking techniques and its almost-comical hatred of the forward pass. We need to modernize it or abandon it completely. In year 11, the effects of it on our program should be clear for all to see.
We're completely irrelevant in the college football landscape now.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
How does running a triple option prepare a quarterback like Trevor Lawrence for the NFL?

It doesn't and I never said it did. How does running a shotgun spread prepare Kelley Bryant for the NFL? Kelley Bryant isn't NFL QB material, but I bet he thinks he is. Same thing with a lot of really good college QBs (Jalen Hurts). Tim Tebow, etc. Most of which would be devastating in this offense and would have had about equal shot at the pros.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
problem is, no one in P5 outside the service academies wants to run our gimmicky offense, with its ankle-dive blocking techniques and its almost-comical hatred of the forward pass. We need to modernize it or abandon it completely. In year 11, the effects of it on our program should be clear for all to see.

Do you really think that if we had talented olinemen across the board that we would only cut block? As I have said before a few tweaks and the scheme becomes more palatable. The complete disregard for pursuing a legit passing offense is PJs biggest problem and it has little to do with gameday effectiveness and everything to do with winning the negativite recruiting. Have to have someone consistently passing for 1800+ yards.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We are now also-rans, hardly mentioned. It has gotten that bad and this blocking scheme doesnt even attract linemen to our program must less QBs or wideouts

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The AJC noted that Tech averages
So you’re telling me Searcy and Marshall have 1600 SAT scores ?? I can promise you they’re not held to the same standards as a regular Tech student.

Also, why blow money on an athletic program being mediocre? Why would you not want to be superior in athletics and academics?

You seem you think they can’t be mutually exclusive.

Most schools have SA’s with a big variance. Tech’s I believe is around 1100.

I recall a few years ago that UGA’s team was 75% special admits.

And I never said it can’t be done. It is simply very difficult under the current constraints.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes! It is the offense that is keeping all these 4 and 5 star phenoms away from Georgia Tech. Tech has such a large athletic budget, and some of the nicest facilities in the country, yet we hinder ourselves with this offense. Prior to running this offense, we had to turn away 4 and 5 star players because we did not have room for them. In fact, the NCAA created the 85 scholarship limit in 2007 because Georgia Tech had over 100 4 and 5 stars that wanted to play for the program.

If we stopped running this offense, Trevor Lawrence would transfer in and Saquon Barkley would forgo his NFL career to return for just one year to play for Georgia Tech's powerful football program. Damn this offense and the 10 National Championships it has cost us in the last ten years.

Yes! It is the offense that is keeping all these 4 and 5 star phenoms away from Georgia Tech. Tech has such a large athletic budget, and some of the nicest facilities in the country, yet we hinder ourselves with this offense. Prior to running this offense, we had to turn away 4 and 5 star players because we did not have room for them. In fact, the NCAA created the 85 scholarship limit in 2007 because Georgia Tech had over 100 4 and 5 stars that wanted to play for the program.

If we stopped running this offense, Trevor Lawrence would transfer in and Saquon Barkley would forgo his NFL career to return for just one year to play for Georgia Tech's powerful football program. Damn this offense and the 10 National Championships it has cost us in the last ten years.
Tech has NEVER had a 5-start athlete. But then I assume your post was sarcastic.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
One main issue Tech has that Clemson and others schools don't have is the STEM requirement. We have certain math and science classes that a kid has to take in high school. I believe, its been a while for me, 4 units in each. Do we even offer a college algebra class? Most big time players tap out right there. We can recruit better but is not a level playing field.

CUIEgrad21

Banned
It doesn't and I never said it did. How does running a shotgun spread prepare Kelley Bryant for the NFL? Kelley Bryant isn't NFL QB material, but I bet he thinks he is. Same thing with a lot of really good college QBs (Jalen Hurts). Tim Tebow, etc. Most of which would be devastating in this offense and would have had about equal shot at the pros.

Those guys are 38-6 under our current styles of offense. They’ve combined for 10k passing yards and nearly 100 passing TDs. Both have led their teams to a college football playoff.

I can promise you Kelly Bryant wouldn’t do well in a triple option. He can barely make the reads on our simplistic RPOs.

Last edited:

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with some of this, not all. You're spot on about schools like Bama attracting amazing students simply because of the exposure that the football program brings to the world. The Tech idiots that cry about their diploma being devalued if we were to open up the curriculum need to understand that the same diploma is being devalued just as much by how goddamn bad our football and basketball programs are. This is the cold truth.

This isn't necessarily true (or if it is, there's not a ton of evidence to support it) for a school that is already at GT's level.

The one school that ranks at or above GT in the rankings that has "dropped" levels in sports over the last 20-25 years is Rice, who moved from the SWC->WAC->C-USA.

Their ranking hasn't changed much and they still have a better academic reputation than their former conference mates who have had lots of athletic success (not just Texas, TAMU, Arkansas, etc), but also private schools like TCU.

Do you really think that if we had talented olinemen across the board that we would only cut block? As I have said before a few tweaks and the scheme becomes more palatable. The complete disregard for pursuing a legit passing offense is PJs biggest problem and it has little to do with gameday effectiveness and everything to do with winning the negativite recruiting. Have to have someone consistently passing for 1800+ yards.

I totally agree with you - but this scheme flat-out doesn't attract quality OLmen. The fruits of CPJ's insistence on recruiting guys best-suited for Navy and Southern is there for all to see and as we know, those fruits are rotten.

It's time to get P5 OLmen and play P5 football. There's nothing wrong with passing the ball!

Status
Not open for further replies.