Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
And you don't recognize that sticking with Johnson is also a roll of the dice. We rolled the dice last year when we extended Johnson after missing a bowl. So far it looks like we lost that gamble. You don't throw bad money after good. Sometimes you have to gold and gamble on a new hand.

PJ a roll of the dice? Not in my opinion, we know the highs and lows with him. Can't say the same about anyone else. Again I'm not here to try and defend PJ, not my job and he doesn't need me to.

Deleted member 2897

Vanderbilt has their problems in that area also and so do Tulane and Rice while Duke lucked out hiring Coach Cut;)(y)

Duke is good only partly because of Cutcliffe. And in fact, Duke is the exact argument some of us are trying to make. Hire a good coach and invest a lot to bring our facilities and staff at least up to average. We hired a good coach, but then never spent any money. How do you expect anybody to compete when you have the toughest academic restrictions and you spend WAY WAY less than average.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
And you don't recognize that sticking with Johnson is also a roll of the dice. We rolled the dice last year when we extended Johnson after missing a bowl. So far it looks like we lost that gamble. You don't throw bad money after good. Sometimes you have to gold and gamble on a new hand.

PJ a roll of the dice? Not in my opinion, we know the highs and lows with him. Can't say the same about anyone else. Again I'm not here to try and defend PJ, not my job and he doesn't need me to.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Duke is good only partly because of Cutcliffe. And in fact, Duke is the exact argument some of us are trying to make. Hire a good coach and invest a lot to bring our facilities and staff at least up to average. We hired a good coach, but then never spent any money. How do you expect anybody to compete when you have the toughest academic restrictions and you spend WAY WAY less than average.
Duke will be back to being Puke when Coach Cut retires. It will be similar to when Spurrier left in December 1989.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Saying it was a roll of the dice was generous. It would more realistically be just paying to see the opponents cards at this point. We know what Johnson was able to accomplish several years ago. We also know how he is performing now.

The real risk is how the fanbase will react and I don't think you have a good pulse on the general fanbase.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Saying it was a roll of the dice was generous. It would more realistically be just paying to see the opponents cards at this point. We know what Johnson was able to accomplish several years ago. We also know how he is performing now.

The real risk is how the fanbase will react and I don't think you have a good pulse on the general fanbase.

Knowing how you feel about PJ you'll forgive me if I take your comment with a grain of salt

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

But isn’t that mostly mismanagement by the GTAA? They had no strategic plan, infrastructure issues, and a strange prioritization plan. Tech can raise money ... but poor choices in firing coaches and bond payments hamstrings things. The blame is on the GTAA imo.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
And EVERY football program worth a damn is recruiting GA. I agree Atlanta is one of the top cities within a state with among the best talent in country. It is now and it will be, so? Do you honestly think a new coach is going to recruit significantly better? EVERY football program recruit hard in GA. Just HOW will a new coach change that?
It would help to have an offense that kids want to play in. Our defensive recruiting would also improve because there wouldn't be the stigma of practicing against an option offense (even though that isn't true).

Would our recruiting improve significantly? Probably not. But it would definitely improve.

The tradeoff is we would lose all the advantages of running our unique offense. Unfortunately those advantages are hard to see these days.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Not upset, frustrated with what I perceive is folks not recognizing just what a roll of the dice is hiring a new coach is whether it's this year or whenever the end of PJ's tenure is. I can't think of another program that is harder to find the right coach than Tech

The thing is that the fans have voted with their butts, which were not occupying half the seats at Bobby Dodd on a perfect day for Homecoming. A lack of support at that level will get a coach fired. IF we beat VT and UNC, we might have a decent crowd for Miami, and IF we beat them there will be a decent crowd for UVa. But I think he has to beat VT and UNC both (the two weakest teams left on our schedule), and then hopefully Miami and maybe UVa. At a minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.