Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

My post was not meant to be condescending. You said, "I bet ...," which expresses your imagination not data to discuss.

Then you spoke about your preference for change because you would see that as rebuilding. That's your feeling or emotion.

I said, "No worries." You offered no new concrete data to discuss. Your feelings are as valid as anyone elses. I'm not going to say you're wrong about how you feel.

I don't know why you took my post as condescending.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Buddy I’ve given you examples time and time again. I’ve schooled you enough on this topic and the fact you still don’t understand my perspective on recruiting speaks volumes to your intelligence.

You offered something that looks like there's data to support it. I asked you to provide it.

Sorry.

Please keep schooling me with your feelings.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Not to be condescending but I teach 6-12 science and we teach all of our students to argue using the CER template, or Claim Evidence Reasoning. You make a claim, then provide evidence and then show your reasoning or rather justify why the evidence supports the claim you made.

All I'm asking you to do is to provide evidence to back up claims you have made.

It's literally something I expect out of my 14 year old students so yes I expect it in a rational discussion between adults as well.

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
Buddy I’ve given you examples time and time again. I’ve schooled you enough on this topic and the fact you still don’t understand my perspective on recruiting speaks volumes to your intelligence.
Sorry but I am new to this debate. I also would love to see data that supports that O’Leary had such a higher hit rate on top recruits than PJ does. I am not refuting just really want to see some real numbers. I have been following Gt football since the 80s and can’t ever recall any coaches lighting it up in recruiting in my time

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
You offered something that looks like there's data to support it. I asked you to provide it.

Sorry.

Please keep schooling me with your feelings.

Sorry but I am new to this debate. I also would love to see data that supports that O’Leary had such a higher hit rate on top recruits than PJ does. I am not refuting just really want to see some real numbers. I have been following Gt football since the 80s and can’t ever recall any coaches lighting it up in recruiting in my time

I’ll pull something together for you guys.

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree on the PJ part , & couple weeks ago I was on the Key wagon , but after looking at some old UCF message boards , Key was not liked at all there . Kinda made me wonder , but the fact that Saban would hire him has to prove something
I’ve read a few different things good and bad about him but you’re right about the Saban part and not only did he hire him, his staff was already full and he moved coaches around to make a spot for him.

I think he would do sure take the job if offered. He’s ready to be a head coach. He was promised and even signed a contract saying he would be the next coach of UCF once O’Leary retired and they ended up paying him 700k for hiring frost and not giving him the job.

He’s a great recruiter and is one of the main reasons why UCF has the talent they do. Their over the past few years. He would recruit our state very well and get guys to come play for us.

And him being a tech guy he would for sure take the job if offered IMO and do well there and I don’t believe would leave if he highly succeeds.

A bunch of names float around about who would be the guy to go after if Paul retires or gets fired and I believe it’s him.

Godesy has some good experience but isn’t the guy. Don’t think he would recruit well. Most people don’t even know his name outside of the places he’s coached especially these high schools kids. People know keys name especially now being at bama.

People saying names like Miles or Kiffn I think are unrealistic. Venables would be another good option but I believe he won’t keave clemson anytime soon.

All in all if and when Paul is gone there is going to be a lot of people happy and a lot of people mad about who we hire.

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
Sorry but I am new to this debate. I also would love to see data that supports that O’Leary had such a higher hit rate on top recruits than PJ does. I am not refuting just really want to see some real numbers. I have been following Gt football since the 80s and can’t ever recall any coaches
man said he schooled you son. Make him break out the proof. So many people on here argue over who’s right and who’s wrong without backing it up. And no one can have an opinion because someone will get their sensitive feelings hurt

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
Also wasn’t there an article about him trash talking GT?
I don’t know about the article if there is one and there very well may be. People talk trash all the time about somewhere and would take a bigger job at that same place.

I know he had the one year as OC and before that 3 years as AHC and he may very well not be the guy for the job, but it’s just my opinion that he would recruit very well and do very well at Tech.

I think CPJ has done a great job and have much respect for him, he’s had a great coaching career at tech and overall and did some awesome things at tech but i just believe in order to take the next step it’s time to move on. I think this offense is outdated and will never work against the top programs to have a chance at the playoffs and Championship and be right there every year fighting for the acc title. Top recruits don’t want to play in this Offense.

I’m tired of hearing people say this offense is good for the caliber of talent we get. We get a great coach and recruiter and get the tops guys that fit not matter what because they’re the best. I think either either Brent, key or Venables is great options. Don’t think mikes or kiffin is realistic and I know there’s a ton of other names that have been and will come up but I think that’s two great options right now. Id like to Hear other peoples opinion on names that we could get that would be great options if we do part with CPJ and staff. Other note i believe if key was to get the job he will get summers from UGA and bring with him to be DC or put him somewhere

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know about the article if there is one and there very well may be. People talk trash all the time about somewhere and would take a bigger job at that same place.

I know he had the one year as OC and before that 3 years as AHC and he may very well not be the guy for the job, but it’s just my opinion that he would recruit very well and do very well at Tech.

I think CPJ has done a great job and have much respect for him, he’s had a great coaching career at tech and overall and did some awesome things at tech but i just believe in order to take the next step it’s time to move on. I think this offense is outdated and will never work against the top programs to have a chance at the playoffs and Championship and be right there every year fighting for the acc title. Top recruits don’t want to play in this Offense.

I’m tired of hearing people say this offense is good for the caliber of talent we get. We get a great coach and recruiter and get the tops guys that fit not matter what because they’re the best. I think either either Brent, key or Venables is great options. Don’t think mikes or kiffin is realistic and I know there’s a ton of other names that have been and will come up but I think that’s two great options right now. Id like to Hear other peoples opinion on names that we could get that would be great options if we do part with CPJ and staff. Other note i believe if key was to get the job he will get summers from UGA and bring with him to be DC or put him somewhere

We dont want tyson summers anywhere near this program

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I'm sorry, but your statement that our offense "will never work against the top programs to have a chance at the playoffs and Championship" seems completely alien to the facts.

Most teams run versions of the same basic offense. Yet, only a handful of teams have been in the playoffs etc.

What do they have in common? They recruit top talent, oversign, and process.

GT will never compete playing by those rules. Only a handful have. Michigan plays by those rules, has a top notch coach and has not got any closer than us.

However, listen to what Saban said looking back on his game against a Monken coached Georgia Southern team:

Still, I expect you know more about what kind of offense will compete against the best teams than Saban. What does he know?

Smdh.

I get it that some don't like our offense. That's cool. But saying that it's the problem holding us back because it can't be successful is ignorant of the facts.

Alabama punted 5 times against LOLvl and turned it over twice. Oregon punted 4 times and turned it over once against BG. It's not just that our O works against weaker Ds but that, when executed well, it works better than some of the best Os.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry, but your statement that our offense "will never work against the top programs to have a chance at the playoffs and Championship" seems completely alien to the facts.

Most teams run versions of the same basic offense. Yet, only a handful of teams have been in the playoffs etc.

What do they have in common? They recruit top talent, oversign, and process.

GT will never compete playing by those rules. Only a handful have. Michigan plays by those rules, has a top notch coach and has not got any closer than us.

However, listen to what Saban said looking back on his game against a Monken coached Georgia Southern team:

Still, I expect you know more about what kind of offense will compete against the best teams than Saban. What does he know?

Smdh.

I get it that some don't like our offense. That's cool. But saying that it's the problem holding us back because it can't be successful is ignorant of the facts.

Alabama punted 5 times against LOLvl and turned it over twice. Oregon punted 4 times and turned it over once against BG. It's not just that our O works against weaker Ds but that, when executed well, it works better than some of the best Os.

We all agree that if we execute well we look better than Alabama against weaker teams that only see our scheme every decade. Ditto for all FCS. I am glad we do look so good against crummy teams that dont prepare against our offense. ( 2 times Tulane 15 defense had 9 men on field).

I still have hope that this year we will dominate against the lower middle of the pack acc coastal teams.

GTFLETCH

Banned
If we beat Duke ( I hope we beat the snot out of em) CPJ will be retained ( I believe beating duke will allow us to get to 6 or 7 wins).. He only gets fired if he wins less than 6 games and misses a bowl and the AD's Capital Fundraising (40.5M raised since June 2018) takes a hit..... then and only then does CPJ get fired....

CPJ could retire and I have no clue how that would look except to say that the AD TStan would have his finger prints all over this....maybe it is as simply as Coach you didn't make a bowl game... we will accept your retirement.... Not sure

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I'm not an expert, but I refer again to the interview that CPJ gave to Schultz a couple of years ago. He specifically addressed the recruiting issues at GT. He said that the biggest challenge was that we have very limited majors and that causes us to fail with a lot of otherwise qualified kids. With APR being what it is, you have to have a kid smart enough to get in, committed enough to do the work to stay on track to graduate in 5 years (I believe the players have to be 20% along after each year to stay eligible) and have something the kid wants to study. We have something like 45 majors; uGa has over 200. Plenty of smart football players don't want a STEM education. We've talked about Stanford and how "they can do it, why can't we", but they have a lot more options for the kids to choose from.

More options in the majors = more kids choosing to come here.

Did he not realize this when he took the job?

Difficult / Fair or not, if he is offering certain S/As that means they are qualified. He often says that they have to have an interest in you as well. He never acknowledges that is part of his job - to make them interested in us.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
If we beat Duke ( I hope we beat the snot out of em) CPJ will be retained ( I believe beating duke will allow us to get to 6 or 7 wins).. He only gets fired if he wins less than 6 games and misses a bowl and the AD's Capital Fundraising (40.5M raised since June 2018) takes a hit..... then and only then does CPJ get fired....

CPJ could retire and I have no clue how that would look except to say that the AD TStan would have his finger prints all over this....maybe it is as simply as Coach you didn't make a bowl game... we will accept your retirement.... Not sure

I hope we make a 2nd half run, get to and win a bowl game, and CPJ and CNW are back for 2019, when our young defenders will have a year under their belts and we add Graham into the QB competition.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Did he not realize this when he took the job?

Difficult / Fair or not, if he is offering certain S/As that means they are qualified. He often says that they have to have an interest in you as well. He never acknowledges that is part of his job - to make them interested in us.

I am curious about one thing...assume most of our FB players are not in engineering but in IM or business or whatever they call it now. How would one sell/differentiate GT as there are many schools who can offer P5 FB AND good (or even better actually)business schools. Uva, UNC, Uga, USC (E & W), Texas, Michigan, Indiana, etc.,etc. Outside of selling location (ATL), what IS an effective sales pitch for GT over the schools listed? I think the sell would be a lot easier IF the majors of interest for FB players were engineering as we are the clear leader (in most cases) in the various engineering disciplines. I am not directing this specifically at you but just curious as to what the others here have to say, esp. the business/IM majors. What did you get at Tech that you wouldn't have gotten at the schools I mentioned?

Status
Not open for further replies.