Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
The 4 coaches before Johnson were able to recruit better than Johnson. I’m just stunned as to why we throw up our hands and say we can’t do it anymore because one coach with an unappealing offense and personality isn’t able to recruit. I know we can’t recruit like uga but I certainly think we can do better than this.

But rivals don’t agree with your assessment

northgajacket

Banned
The 4 coaches before Johnson were able to recruit better than Johnson. I’m just stunned as to why we throw up our hands and say we can’t do it anymore because one coach with an unappealing offense and personality isn’t able to recruit. I know we can’t recruit like uga but I certainly think we can do better than this.

But at least Tech is on par with SMU.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We happen to be in the state of GA so a 7 or 8 win season for us feels like a losing one when everyone is comparing us to a program that has no limitations. Lets keep things in perspective tho...there are a ton of college programs that would love to be as relevant as Georgia Tech has been over the years. We need to focus on Tech as hard as it is...giving money to the program is really the only thing that will change things. If you are not doing that you should be if you can.

And the same thing could have been said about our performance under Gailey. We fired him because we shouldn't think like that and felt like Johnson was the guy who could push us forward. For a while he was. He no longer is.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
PJ could improve if he was willing to innovate a little more. Maybe figure how to utilise a TE in his offense. Add a shotgun at times. Our passing only seems effective if we do it when unexpected and don't get a pass rush. If he would show more offense then recruiting a true dual threat QB would be more likely. We never have a really good D under him. Some argue we have to practice too much against the TO and cut blocks. Hurts recruiting DL. Not sure why but 11 years of mediocre D is telling. Next question is whether a few changes in his staff are needed?

northgajacket

Banned
PJ could improve if he was willing to innovate a little more. Maybe figure how to utilise a TE in his offense. Add a shotgun at times. Our passing only seems effective if we do it when unexpected and don't get a pass rush. If he would show more offense then recruiting a true dual threat QB would be more likely. We never have a really good D under him. Some argue we have to practice too much against the TO and cut blocks. Hurts recruiting DL. Not sure why but 11 years of mediocre D is telling. Next question is whether a few changes in his staff are needed?

He doesn’t want to innovate. He wants to prove everyone wrong.

agreed. Trotting out another year of the QB Keeper offense is a recipe for another 2018, at best. Hopefully, having 2 QBs with an arm will open things up.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Just like corporations that are successful until they can't change their business model and the competition passes them by with innovation. The game has evolved and PJ doesn't seem able to change. Even the officiating has changed to give pass blocking more advantages.

Just like corporations that are successful until they can't change their business model and the competition passes them by with innovation. The game has evolved and PJ doesn't seem able to change. Even the officiating has changed to give pass blocking more advantages.

Under CPJ, we're Blockbuster and turning down a chance to buy Netflix.

"But people used to love going to the store and renting videos!!"

thing is, CPJ IS able to change. He IS able to try something different on offense. He just chooses not to. Hopefully, he will for James Graham.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Under CPJ, we're Blockbuster and turning down a chance to buy Netflix.

"But people used to love going to the store and renting videos!!"

thing is, CPJ IS able to change. He IS able to try something different on offense. He just chooses not to. Hopefully, he will for James Graham.

He seems to call the plays based on the players skill set. It is not that he chooses not to, he does not have much of a choice. James Graham brings in a different skill set. It will be revealing next year to see if your opinion has any truth to it.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Just like it is difficult for a defense to prepare for Tech’s run game when they have limited time, it is difficult for Tech to prepare for a passing game of a team that can pass.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow

I would not hold my breath on that one. I figured he would have innovated more early on in order to attract true dual threat QB's, talented receivers, etc. My biggest surprise is that he was unable to attract big time running backs (like Dwyer). That being said it's been the lack of defense throughout the CPJ era that has prevented them from reaching the next level.

Status
Not open for further replies.