Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Looking at GT’s full body of work as a program and maybe we should expect to win like Dodd did in the 60’s.

Tech's winning percentage in the 60's was 0.590. Dodd had a bunch of down years (3-4) before a big breakout.

Everyone seems to demand winning 9 games a year to be considered successful. Only a handful of schools have EVER done that ... in fact, winning .600 would place you in the premier tier of college football. And that translates to ... about 7 wins a year.

If CPJ (or any other) Tech coach could consistently deliver 7 wins a year and every 3-4 year win 9 or 10, I'd be ecstatic.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="Boaty1, post: 484052, member: 2631"
I don’t view myself as negative about the program. I actually view myself as one of the few half full posters on here as I believe our program is capable of doing better than this. [/QUOTE]
That is the problem you come across very negative.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Sure would like to know what you disagree with about the stats I posted.

Thanks for the question. I love dealing with facts. I view that we have seen a downturn in our program because over Johnson’s first 7 years he was 57-41. Over the last 4 years he is 22-23. It’s pretty black and white really and is the worst 4 year stretch in the last 20 years of our program. Certainly worse than Gailey’s last 4 years. I get a lot of people like the coach of our program more than the program itself. I care more about the program. Different approaches

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="Boaty1, post: 484052, member: 2631"
I don’t view myself as negative about the program. I actually view myself as one of the few half full posters on here as I believe our program is capable of doing better than this.
That is the problem you come across very negative.[/QUOTE]

I do have a negative view of our coach. Others on here I view as being overly negative view about our program. Different approaches.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the question. I love dealing with facts. I view that we have seen a downturn in our program because over Johnson’s first 7 years he was 57-41. Over the last 4 years he is 22-23. It’s pretty black and white really and is the worst 4 year stretch in the last 20 years of our program. Certainly worse than Gailey’s last 4 years. I get a lot of people like the coach of our program more than the program itself. I care more about the program. Different approaches
People just don't understand how you can just cherry pick stats. Why would you choose first 7 vs last 4 years instead of say first 5 vs 6 or 6 vs 5. Does that change anything?

Maybe people realize there is context of the previous seasons. Even our AD admits that we have fallen behind in our resources and he is attempting to cover the gap. Do you think falling behind in resources had an immediate effect? No. It slowly affected us, and you can see it rearing its head.

Our AD is going to take all of this into account. Both our direct record, as well as the context of our record. All you care about is manipulating time frames to suit whatever agenda you have without taking into account they *why* for the record. Thankfully the current AD does not seem so short sighted.

I get a lot of people like the coach of our program more than the program itself. I care more about the program
I could care less if CPJ is the coach. But considering how little we pay our entire staff, you would be INCREDIBLY hard pressed to do better. Find boosters willing to not only buyout CPJ, but then pay a new coach 4+mil and then an oc 400k+ then we can begin talking about improving the program.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Tech's winning percentage in the 60's was 0.590. Dodd had a bunch of down years (3-4) before a big breakout.

Everyone seems to demand winning 9 games a year to be considered successful. Only a handful of schools have EVER done that ... in fact, winning .600 would place you in the premier tier of college football. And that translates to ... about 7 wins a year.

If CPJ (or any other) Tech coach could consistently deliver 7 wins a year and every 3-4 year win 9 or 10, I'd be ecstatic.

I agree with this for the most part.

slugboy

Staff member
The schedule for Johnson this year was set up to win 9 regular season games and win the coastal. Our schedule has been very weak this year. Dissatisfied with the results so far..
It might have been set up for some coastal team to win 9 games, but I don’t see how you think it was us. We lost most of our secondary, about half our defensive starters, installed a new defense, started the year without a strong kicker, lost our best receiver, and came off a year where we hadn’t been that strong overall. Our starting B Back went out for the year with an injury. We didn’t have a good passing game, and that didn’t improve, and realistically declined.
Maybe next year, but not this one.
Our forecasts for the year were for a brutal season with a murderous schedule. Here’s one https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...ia-tech-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster . Here’s another https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spo...ootball-rankings-georgia-tech-0530-story.html . Here’s Athlon: https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...ll-2018-yellow-jackets-preview-and-prediction , which for some reason foresaw a major upswing in our passing. Phil Steele called out schedule “brutal”, and didn’t project a bowl game for us.
Most everyone saw this as a rebuild year, if Johnson made it through.

However, we’ve worked around a lot of these issues, and we have found a kicker. We’ve found some players on defense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
It might have been set up for some coastal team to win 9 games, but I don’t see how you think it was us. We lost most of our secondary, about half our defensive starters, installed a new defense, started the year without a strong kicker, lost our best receiver, and came off a year where we hadn’t been that strong overall. Our starting B Back went out for the year with an injury. We didn’t have a good passing game, and that didn’t improve, and realistically declined.
Maybe next year, but not this one.
Our forecasts for the year were for a brutal season with a murderous schedule. Here’s one https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...ia-tech-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster . Here’s another https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spo...ootball-rankings-georgia-tech-0530-story.html . Here’s Athlon: https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...ll-2018-yellow-jackets-preview-and-prediction , which for some reason foresaw a major upswing in our passing. Phil Steele called out schedule “brutal”, and didn’t project a bowl game for us.
Most everyone saw this as a rebuild year, if Johnson made it through.

However, we’ve worked around a lot of these issues, and we have found a kicker. We’ve found some players on defense.

Who would you say is the third best team on our schedule this year?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
That is the problem you come across very negative.

I do have a negative view of our coach. Others on here I view as being overly negative view about our program. Different approaches.[/QUOTE]
I get a lot of people like the coach of our program more than the program itself. I care more about the program. Different approaches
I'm sorry, but this is going to get me on a rant that is not entirely directed at you, but to all posters who have said something similar.
I like CPJ and I like his offense. I want him to stay here until he retires because he is a HOF coach. I believe that the program has been bettered under his watch even with 2015 and 2017. However, I really don't care who the coach is and I just want to see us win. I want a national championship and to compete for ACC championships every year. I still believe that CPJ can do that , but I'm going to support the coach no matter who he is because if he is successful then that means that the program is successful. It really pisses me off that it seems like some fans would rather have us lose just to find a new coach. To me, that isn't thinking about what is best for the program. It's just trying to get another coach in who might not be successful or heaven forbid, make the program worse. Sometimes change is necessary, but change for the sake of change is rarely the right thing to do imo.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I do have a negative view of our coach. Others on here I view as being overly negative view about our program. Different approaches.

I'm sorry, but this is going to get me on a rant that is not entirely directed at you, but to all posters who have said something similar.
I like CPJ and I like his offense. I want him to stay here until he retires because he is a HOF coach. I believe that the program has been bettered under his watch even with 2015 and 2017. However, I really don't care who the coach is and I just want to see us win. I want a national championship and to compete for ACC championships every year. I still believe that CPJ can do that , but I'm going to support the coach no matter who he is because if he is successful then that means that the program is successful. It really pisses me off that it seems like some fans would rather have us lose just to find a new coach. To me, that isn't thinking about what is best for the program. It's just trying to get another coach in who might not be successful or heaven forbid, make the program worse. Sometimes change is necessary, but change for the sake of change is rarely the right thing to do imo.[/QUOTE]

Good post and I agree with everything you just typed. Here’s to ending the season 10-4

Animal02

Banned
Clemson is #1, UGA is #2. Miami and Duke are next—same ballpark.

We should have beaten Pitt and USF, and would if we played them now. But, we played them then.

On the other hand, we get duh U late in the season when they are collapsing, unlike most years when we seem to play them early and the are still full of themselves,

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't get the unbridled confidence in the totally unproven Key. Sure, everybody wants the next Dabo, but Dabo is an extremely rare case. And the idea that Key would somehow be a total game changer for our recruiting? And who is to say that just because he is an alum that he would consider this his destination job if a blue blood came calling?

I dunno. I'm not saying we should never consider hiring the guy, but I think you're way ahead of yourself.
It’s just my opinion. No matter who we hire next unless it’s a big time proven name which we’re not, we’re going to be taking a gamble. I would just like that gamble to be on key. I think his recruiting would help a lot of our problems with his recruiting abilities. Will he be the next Dabo or anywhere close who knows. He could fail he could be better but I think he is a good solid hire and if we hire him and he fails I’ll have to admit I thought wrong.

Whether it’s this year or later down the road, we are More then likely going to hire an unproven guy at our level of football. Once again and I have stated many times it’s my opinion. There’s many opinions on here and that’s all they are. If there wasn’t a lot of different opinions this would be a boring forum. There’s no need to hate on anyone’s opinion because no ones is better than the others. I’ve also stated some I like some other names like Venables or Aranda but I don’t believe them are realistic names. That would be my top three. There’s other names I would support if we hired and some I wouldn’t be happy about. I just Believe Key is a proven top notch recruiter and could bring in great coaching talent to surround him and really then the program around.

We have new top facilities, now with a top brand in Adidas, we play in a wide open coastal that we could take reign of, play in the city of Atlanta, etc. so many reasons to help out a great recruiter even more and to help over come the negatives in recruiting

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
Ironic. GT has one of the TOP rated offenses in the country. And all we seem to talk about it is dumping it to get something else.

Jeremy Pruitt, UT's coach, made a comment Saturday that he recruited at FSU, UGA(g), and Bama. And of all the players on the UT squad today ... he recognized only 2 that were pursued by major programs. In other words, the talent level at UT was incredibly bad.

That's UT. What makes anyone think that Tech is going to change to a new offense and get anything other than what we are getting now and IMPROVE on what we are already doing.

I don't think it's the offense. It's execution. Improve the defense, hold on to the ball ... and we probably have a pretty competitive squad.
Understandable and I’m glad you have your own opinion people need to quit getting so upset about other people opinion. Yes GT has a high offense, yes we put up the rushing yards we do because it’s made that way. But it isn’t getting the job done. It’s not winning any more ACC Championships and it’s for sure not going to compete for a National Championship. The next coach may not either but why not try. Why not bring a top notch recruiting coach to GT let him bring on good coaches with him and see what they can make happen. What’s the worse that can happen, us not win anymore ACC ships and not ever be mentioned for the national ship. This offense will not beat the top teams anymore and it’s because they’re light years ahaead of us in recruiting and coaching. We may score great numbers but teams out score us and finds ways to stop it enough to beat us. Once again this is my opinion I’m glad so many other people on here have different ones. It keeps things interesting

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Understandable and I’m glad you have your own opinion people need to quit getting so upset about other people opinion. Yes GT has a high offense, yes we put up the rushing yards we do because it’s made that way. But it isn’t getting the job done. It’s not winning any more ACC Championships and it’s for sure not going to compete for a National Championship. The next coach may not either but why not try. Why not bring a top notch recruiting coach to GT let him bring on good coaches with him and see what they can make happen. What’s the worse that can happen, us not win anymore ACC ships and not ever be mentioned for the national ship. This offense will not beat the top teams anymore and it’s because they’re light years ahaead of us in recruiting and coaching. We may score great numbers but teams out score us and finds ways to stop it enough to beat us. Once again this is my opinion I’m glad so many other people on here have different ones. It keeps things interesting

Interesting. So the conclusion is we should install an offense that is less productive and this will help us how?

With a better defense and fewer fumbles, we’d be 6-2. And very respectable.

And while we can be a Top 25 team, its not practical to say we will win another NC. To do that, we’d need another 50 million in revenue. I just dont see that happening.

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
With a better defense and fewer fumbles, we’d be 6-2. And very respectable.

And we also wouldn't have a thread with this topic. But we don't have a better defense with fewer fumbles and the coach has had 10 years to get us a better defense with fewer fumbles. That's why some are upset.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
And we also wouldn't have a thread with this topic. But we don't have a better defense with fewer fumbles and the coach has had 10 years to get us a better defense with fewer fumbles. That's why some are upset.

Totally legitimate.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
At UCF, Key negatively recruited Tech. Not a Tech Man.

Saying the offense isn't getting it done because we haven't won the ACC in a few years is ignorant. Offences don't win or lose games. Teams do. When a team loses, you look at what part of the team effort seems most in need of improvement. For us, it's not the offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.