Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
So recruiting hasn’t gotten better the last 2 years? Have you not seen that the freshman and sophomore have actually been playing better than the upper class guys? Also how many times did Gailey win an orange bowl, or beat UGA? Let’s also not forget how much easier of a schedule Gailey has. I’d take the high years to go along with that bad that we have with CPJ over the average years of Gailey.

No. I have not seen anything other than marginal improvement in recruiting. Rankings from 2 years ago were slightly better but a majority of that were the Swillings landing in the lap of CPJ.

No. The strength of our team this year is along the LOS on both sides of the ball which is dominated by upperclassmen.

I’m calling for change because of the last 4 years. Johnson has beaten uga once where Gailey never beat them and that drove me insane

The schedule for Johnson this year was set up to win 9 regular season games and win the coastal. Our schedule has been very weak this year. Dissatisfied with the results so far.

The last 4 years has seen a high of 9-4 with a bowl win over UK. I need more than that to offset 3-9, 5-6. Anything less than 7 regular season wins this year would be a major disappointment.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
No. I have not seen anything other than marginal improvement in recruiting. Rankings from 2 years ago were slightly better but a majority of that were the Swillings landing in the lap of CPJ.

No. The strength of our team this year is along the LOS on both sides of the ball which is dominated by upperclassmen.

I’m calling for change because of the last 4 years. Johnson has beaten uga once where Gailey never beat them and that drove me insane

The schedule for Johnson was set up to win 9 regular season games and win the coastal. Our schedule has been very weak this year. Dissatisfied with the results so far.

The last 4 years has seen a high of 9-4 with a bowl win over UK. I need more than that to offset 3-9, 5-6. Anything less than 7 regular season wins this year would be a major disappointment.
No biggie but we will just have to agree to disagree. Glad we all have our own opinions, only bad thing is none of us have proof for our arguments, it’s just our opinions. If we win out would you want to keep CPJ?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Lol. I love the insults. So cute. I would try a clever rebuttal but don’t have one right off.

Now that it is clear the time frame I’m referring too, I’m sure you see it my way and I can count on you to support change at the head coaching position moving forward. Go jackets.
No, no such luck. I look at a coach’s full body of work and I look at the circumstances involved in each season. Something I bet our A.D. will evaluate as well.

ps. No insult intended, I really didn’t understand your meaning from your choice of words.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
No biggie but we will just have to agree to disagree. Glad we all have our own opinions, only bad thing is none of us have proof for our arguments, it’s just our opinions. If we win out would you want to keep CPJ?

I think we should keep him if we get to 7 regular season wins. I’ll be in the UE both our next 2 games pulling for that to happen.

Deleted member 2897

the Swillings landing in the lap of CPJ.

The schedule for Johnson this year was set up to win 9 regular season games and win the coastal. Our schedule has been very weak this year. Dissatisfied with the results so far.

Wow so much fake news.

First, you should follow recruiting closer if you're going to make assessments like that on the Swillings. Fall in our lap they did not.

Second, Johnson has beaten uga twice in the last 4 years. They haven't beat us at home since 2012.

The schedule was set up to win 9 games? LOLOL. We played something like 8 teams who went to a bowl game last year.

"I need..." Don't really care about what you need. Its what the program and players need. I don't mean this to sound rude, but we don't need to spend an ounce of energy trying to please the negative nellies. We've won 4 out of our last 5 games and you're still not just glass half empty, you're going way out of your way to fake news stats - like 'well the glass would be 80% empty if that water were in a bigger glass.' I mean jeez dude.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
No, no such luck. I look at a coach’s full body of work and I look at the circumstances involved in each season. Something I bet our A.D. will evaluate as well.

ps. No insult intended, I really didn’t understand your meaning from your choice of words.

Looking at GT’s full body of work as a program and maybe we should expect to win like Dodd did in the 60’s. Of course that wouldn’t be an accurate way of looking at it. You have to look at trends. We aren’t trending in the right direction. Johnson can’t hold on to the work he did with Gailey’s players forever. And yes I know 14 was a great year with his players. Unfortunately that looks more like an outlier as we go along.

And yes, I understand GT has challenges that make it difficult for us to compete consistently with the elite of college football. Fortunately for us however, we play in the ACC coastal and there are no elite programs in it.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I learned last year with the "Roof hate" that once certain of our fans have decided they dislike and want to get rid of a coach, it is DONE. So, I doubt many of the fans that have now turned on PJ will change their stripes, no matter the outcomes. I do know this - if our coach has to beat UGA more times than they lose to UGAG, they are in BIG trouble. Kirby-san has increased their talent level 3 fold in only 2 years.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Wow so much fake news.

First, you should follow recruiting closer if you're going to make assessments like that on the Swillings. Fall in our lap they did not.

Second, Johnson has beaten uga twice in the last 4 years. They haven't beat us at home since 2012.

The schedule was set up to win 9 games? LOLOL. We played something like 8 teams who went to a bowl game last year.

"I need..." Don't really care about what you need. Its what the program and players need. I don't mean this to sound rude, but we don't need to spend an ounce of energy trying to please the negative nellies. We've won 4 out of our last 5 games and you're still not just glass half empty, you're going way out of your way to fake news stats - like 'well the glass would be 80% empty if that water were in a bigger glass.' I mean jeez dude.

Wow. I really didn’t think this would be so difficult for people to understand but I was obviously wrong. The 4 years that have been below GT’s historical standard are 15,16, 17 & 18. I know 18 isn’t over yet so that is obviously where the confusion is coming in.

I don’t view myself as negative about the program. I actually view myself as one of the few half full posters on here as I believe our program is capable of doing better than this. I view you guys saying this is as good as we can do as the negative ones.

Perspectives. Aren’t they wonderful.

Deleted member 2897

Looking at GT’s full body of work as a program and maybe we should expect to win like Dodd did in the 60’s. Of course that wouldn’t be an accurate way of looking at it. You have to look at trends. We aren’t trending in the right direction. Johnson can’t hold on to the work he did with Gailey’s players forever. And yes I know 14 was a great year with his players. Unfortunately that looks more like an outlier as we go along.

And yes, I understand GT has challenges that make it difficult for us to compete consistently with the elite of college football. Fortunately for us however, we play in the ACC coastal and there are no elite programs in it.

He should get extra credit taking players suited for a different system and in the first year getting them to learn his playbook and execute it.

Fact: In the 50 years prior to CPJ we were winning 8+ games once every 10 years. Under CPJ we're winning 8+ games once every 2.5 years.

With our having to play Clemson, Georgia, Miami, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame............most every year, if you're expecting us to win 8-9 games every year, you're asking us to finish ranked around #15. (In other words, if we went 9-3 this year, I argue we'd finish ranked around #15.) I have no idea where on earth you come up with such an expectation. I mean yea, we should desire to win every game, but I can't fathom where your level of negativism comes from.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I learned last year with the "Roof hate" that once certain of our fans have decided they dislike and want to get rid of a coach, it is DONE. So, I doubt many of the fans that have now turned on PJ will change their stripes, no matter the outcomes. I do know this - if our coach has to beat UGA more times than they lose to UGAG, they are in BIG trouble. Kirby-san has increased their talent level 3 fold in only 2 years.

Fwiw, the relative performance of our D may have impacted Roof's employment status more than the "Roof hate" of fans.

Deleted member 2897

Wow. I really didn’t think this would be so difficult for people to understand but I was obviously wrong. The 4 years that have been below GT’s historical standard are 15,16, 17 & 18. I know 18 isn’t over yet so that is obviously where the confusion is coming in.

So you're expecting us to understand that CPJ has only beat Georgia once in the last 4 years, but the years you're including in those 4 years includes 2018, in which we haven't played them yet? Get off the crack son.

You know, Clemson has only beat us 5 times in the last 50 years. The years I'm including in those 50 are 2013-2063.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, the relative performance of our D may have impacted Roof's employment status more than the "Roof hate" of fans.

I guess Woody should look for a pink slip, then. If you look at the statistics, especially 3rd down D, it ain't really much different this year, in fact in some categories, it is worse. But, I would not expect it to be, since our talent is not that much better. ASA has been a God-send, though.

The "Roof-hate" was developed based on the performance of the D, so tomato, tomato. I was not saying that people hated him as a person.

I respect your opinion but completely disagree. But that’s ok.

Come on man. I would rather climb into the top 15 and fade late than never be in the 25 at all. The point is the nation had some respect for us and we were on the radar. These last 4 years have been abysmal and easily the worst 4 year stretch over the past 20 years. Why you want to support the coach that has caused this descent is beyond me but I’ve resigned myself to just understand this mentality is a reality to this board.
Sure would like to know what you disagree with about the stats I posted.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I guess Woody should look for a pink slip, then. If you look at the statistics, especially 3rd down D, it ain't really much different this year, in fact in some categories, it is worse. But, I would not expect it to be, since our talent is not that much better. ASA has been a God-send, though.

The "Roof-hate" was developed based on the performance of the D, so tomato, tomato. I was not saying that people hated him as a person.

Roof was fired after his first season. Roof left after his fourth season without significant improvement on D in many statistical categories.

I appreciate that some people react emotionally and want to fire a coach after one or two bad seasons without looking at the context. I'm suggesting that that was not the case with Roof.

Animal02

Banned

He has a narrative to maintain Facts and reality cannot be allowed to alter that narrative.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Who cares? We went 7-6 in 2007. Why does it matter if the polls overrated us at some point? The polls suck. Chan Gailey had us ranked 0 times at the end of the season. Even if we do CPJ haters favorite move and remove 2008 and 2009, CPJ has more years with end of season top 25 than Gailey did (1, but 3 with 09 and 08). 2006 was almost a great year, but the vaunted pro style offense scored 6 points against Wake Forest with Calvin Johnson on the roster.

If people want to long for the Oleary era where we had flunkgate and were paying a staff near the top of the NCAA, then I can at least understand since the team was good. But anyone who looks back at the Gailey era fondly has lost their mind.

Well stated. Anyone touting Gailey's tenure loses me.

Longing for the O'Leary days (which is my era incidentally, since apparently that matters) at least makes sense. Even then, it has to be understood that the academic climate has shifted drastically since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.