Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
That offense hurts the overall program.
The truth of the matter is that whether the offense helps more than it hurts or vice versa is the wrong discussion. Johnson isn't the OC. He's the HC.

I will gladly take the multiple Orange bowl appearances and the wins over UGA vs trying to run a pro style offense and return to the dreadful Gailey years.
So yep, I am glad he is the HC and not the OC.

I have a number of things I don't like about the coach and the offense, Just like I probably would with someone trying to run a different Offensive style.

I am in the camp of wanting to give the coach 2 more years now that we seem to finally have a real DC. Those wanting to make changes this fast I think are being foolish. I really want to see where we end up with a decent defense with the current offense.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The last 4 years Gailey had were better than these last 4 years of Johnson. And at least with Gailey we had recruiting trending in the right direction.

Is there anything different in these last 4 years than in the last years of Gailey?

I'd encourage you to find the answer to that question before comparing the two. And Gailey decidedly did not have recruiting trending in any "right direction". That's a false narrative that's been adopted.

slugboy

Staff member
Not exactly what I've heard. Mike Leach is regarded as a football genius and if you hire him, you will win. At first. His reputation is that he is VERY hard to work with and most AD's simply don't have the energy to butt heads.
And he put a kid in a metal shed in Texas (it was just dumb). Then he sued the school that fired him, and blamed everyone else for the situation.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
For the record, having such a dreadful ST's is not due to the offense or defense and that one falls squarely on the HC. That is by far my biggest issue. Whatever he is doing, he clearly would be hard pressed to do it any worse. He has excelled at being the suckiest of all sucky ST coaching.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of FSU, there’s another factory full of 4 and 5 stars that’s doing worse than us.

This is why we know coaching, at least poor coaching, really does matter. I believe good coaching matters as well, but poor coaching can take great talent down faster than great coaching can pull poor talent up, in my opinion.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
As people have told you time and again the issue is the last 4 years. We are a program going in reverse. But you know that and still don’t care and are probably simply happy you got a response to your post explaining that again. What the heck. I’ll press post anyway.

You can say it all you want, but it still does not make it true. It is called an opinion. Just Like a$$h01es, everyone has them.

My opinion is now that we seem to have a decent DC, I want to see how that works out with a top rated offense that we always have. I want to give the coach 2 more years before I decide if it is time or not.
I also want the AD to light a fire under CPJ to FIX special teams. No excuse for that.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
For the record, having such a dreadful ST's is not due to the offense or defense and that one falls squarely on the HC. That is by far my biggest issue. Whatever he is doing, he clearly would be hard pressed to do it any worse. He has excelled at being the suckiest of all sucky ST coaching.
Saban must be terrible too. His special teams play vs LSU was horrid. Did you see that? They missed two extra points, allowed a LONG KO return (almost a TD) and generally did NOTHING to help their team all night long. Maybe we can hire Saban when Bama fires him for his terrible special teams coaching.....

PS- the kid who missed the two extra points was the one who de-committed from GT just before signing day to go to Bama. Only bright spot for me all night in that game....LOL

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
You can say it all you want, but it still does not make it true. It is called an opinion. Just Like a$$h01es, everyone has them.

My opinion is now that we seem to have a decent DC, I want to see how that works out with a top rated offense that we always have. I want to give the coach 2 more years before I decide if it is time or not.
I also want the AD to light a fire under CPJ to FIX special teams. No excuse for that.
I am coming around to this thinking....even though I remain highly skeptical of the offense these days......

Truth

Georgia Tech Fan
Winning lots of games is but one objective of the GT administration in regards to football. Its a good one, and forum members are a disproportionate representation of those who consider it the foremost objective. Those who give money, like me, might well consider it less important than ethics, graduation rates, and honorable off field behavior among other considerations. Just saying...

As people have told you time and again the issue is the last 4 years. We are a program going in reverse. But you know that and still don’t care and are probably simply happy you got a response to your post explaining that again. What the heck. I’ll press post anyway.
In spite of the crappy games against USF, Pitt, and Duke, I don't see us as a program going in reverse. With Woody and a reinvigorated and steadily improving defense, and with all the depth we have now on offense, I think the next few years look incredibly bright. Johnson DOES, however, need to get the Duke problem solved; there's no excuse for them beating us regularly.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Here's the thing for me ... last night I watched the 1998 GT/UNC game, this was with Lil'Joe at QB, Oleary was the HC and Friegden was the OC.
We had a Option-Based offensive, but NOT the Triple-Option.
We had a fairly balance attack, the passing game was effective, we had TE's and used them effectively ... why can't CPJ morph his offense, he has to see it's limitations, or does he just too stubborn and not want too ???

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Here's the thing for me ... last night I watched the 1998 GT/UNC game, this was with Lil'Joe at QB, Oleary was the HC and Friegden was the OC.
We had a Option-Based offensive, but NOT the Triple-Option.
We had a fairly balance attack, the passing game was effective, we had TE's and used them effectively ... why can't CPJ morph his offense, he has to see it's limitations, or does he just too stubborn and not want too ???
Why would he want to change a great offense that every opponant hates to face?

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Is there anything different in these last 4 years than in the last years of Gailey?

I'd encourage you to find the answer to that question before comparing the two. And Gailey decidedly did not have recruiting trending in any "right direction". That's a false narrative that's been adopted.

This post makes me think you must be a recent a graduate from tech that isn’t familiar with anything before Johnson. Because nothing you said makes sense. Literally nothing. Gailey had a better record and made bowl games his last 4 years. GT was rated in the top 15 in each of his last 3 seasons at some point. We haven’t been rated in the top 25 once in the last 4 years and have missed at least 2 bowl games. We have become completely irrelevant. Gailey’s last recruiting class was rated in the top 20 in the nation and 08 was looking good as well before we fired him in 08. You just couldn’t be more wrong with anything you typed.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Because the TO has it's limitations without an effective passing threat ... IMO, this has been proven.
I think most of this comes down to the QB play and having a real deep threat at WR. Our offenses in 09 and 14 where better than most in all of football because we had a great WR and QB.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
This post makes me think you must be a recent a graduate from tech that isn’t familiar with anything before Johnson. Because nothing you said makes sense. Literally nothing. Gailey had a better record and made bowl games his last 4 years. GT was rated in the top 15 in each of his last 3 seasons at some point. We haven’t been rated in the top 25 once in the last 4 years and have missed at least 2 bowl games. We have become completely irrelevant. Gailey’s last recruiting class was rated in the top 20 in the nation and 08 was looking good as well before we fired him in 08. You just couldn’t be more wrong with anything you typed.
Who cares? We went 7-6 in 2007. Why does it matter if the polls overrated us at some point? The polls suck. Chan Gailey had us ranked 0 times at the end of the season. Even if we do CPJ haters favorite move and remove 2008 and 2009, CPJ has more years with end of season top 25 than Gailey did (1, but 3 with 09 and 08). 2006 was almost a great year, but the vaunted pro style offense scored 6 points against Wake Forest with Calvin Johnson on the roster.

If people want to long for the Oleary era where we had flunkgate and were paying a staff near the top of the NCAA, then I can at least understand since the team was good. But anyone who looks back at the Gailey era fondly has lost their mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.