Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I am too lazy for the research so a SWAG will have to do. My guesstimate is that approximately 7,000 names have been put forward as candidates for a GT coaching job that does not exist.

Maybe I should put my name in the hat...that doesn’t yet exist. We may go 0-12 but I’m reasonably priced. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
My stance has been and remains: If Tech has a losing season, I think we have to move on for business reasons- ie TStan will have a really hard time asking for money without positive progress to show. Last season, despite the losing season he was able to reasonably say; we were close in a lot of games; made an exciting coaching change on defense; switched to Adidas; built an impressive new locker room and was investing in more recruiting staff...

I don't know what he can point to this year to justify donations- Unless, we make it to a bowl (especially if we win). Or we beat uGA. Or we finish really strong behind a returning QB... And probably still have to have some assistant coaching heads roll for the STs and sloppy play. Otherwise, it's going to have to be a new head coach. (A strong start from the BBall team would help a lot too...)

But, I also think the best coach available to Tech for next season is likely CPJ. Make a list of the coaches we can afford, who would take our job, don't have a better job/offer, and are good enough to win 6+ here with our roster next season... CPJ is on top of that list, along with Monken and Niumatalolo. I don't think we could fire CPJ to hire his protege to run his system and solve the problems. Otherwise, we're hiring a retread, a has been or a never-was...

Thus, I hope you are right. I think all the pieces are in place (barring attrition) for next season to be the deepest and most talented team CPJ has had. The new defense is showing more and more progress. I'd like to see the fruition of what's building.

Really happy for the team BUT if you look underneath the hood the 5 teams GT has defeated have a combined 4 wins over Power 5 opponents. Slow Your Roll on this.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Really happy for the team BUT if you look underneath the hood the 5 teams GT has defeated have a combined 4 wins over Power 5 opponents. Slow Your Roll on this.
This got me interested. Up until they beat UF & UK, mutt opponents had beaten the same number. Now thy’re up to 13. They can get to 17 if they beat the Barn. Does that seem a lot for a 10-1 Team? We’ll be at 10 if we beat the U & Vag and dare I say it we’d have the same number if we beat them.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Wow, Mich’s opponents have a whopping total of 29 wins over P5 teams, ND’s opponents have a total of 23 wins over P5 opponents. Bama’s got 13 just like the mutts. Clemp only has 11.

Looks to me like the Wolvs & Domers are playing a hard schedule & the rest of favorites are taking the SEC road to the championship.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
So if Tech winds up 9-4/8-5 are all you naysayers still calling for PJ to be fired?

They will just slink back into the shadows and bide their time, waiting on some other opportunity to pounce. They will never change though. As we saw from the poll, the silent majority is accepting of CPJ's performance. The naysayers hope if they yell loud enough they will get someone to use an NFL style offense and be happy winning 3 games a year.

"But our recruiting rankings are up 1.2% over CPJ" You know the important stuff

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
They will just slink back into the shadows and bide their time, waiting on some other opportunity to pounce. They will never change though. As we saw from the poll, the silent majority is accepting of CPJ's performance. The naysayers hope if they yell loud enough they will get someone to use an NFL style offense and be happy winning 3 games a year.

"But our recruiting rankings are up 1.2% over CPJ" You know the important stuff

Yep, and when something happens to bring them back out they will be in their self righteous indignation mode :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
LOL!!! Of course you would bring up losing out. No doubt you would love that. SMDH

What, exactly, is wrong with getting that posters opinion on the same extreme case propositions as they had set out?
I answered their question. Are they, or you, immune from simply answering a question?

What are you afraid of?

Not SMDH at your response above, quite expected.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
This got me interested. Up until they beat UF & UK, mutt opponents had beaten the same number. Now thy’re up to 13. They can get to 17 if they beat the Barn. Does that seem a lot for a 10-1 Team? We’ll be at 10 if we beat the U & Vag and dare I say it we’d have the same number if we beat them.

So we should have no problem beating ugag?

LibertyTurns

Banned
So we should have no problem beating ugag?
We’ve never had “no problem” beating them even in those few years when we were the much better team. I guess if you were at GT in the late 40’s or 50’s maybe you have a different perspective.

I have no idea what the significance of your opponents P5 win records is. It doesn’t seem to make a difference to those coronating the 4 to play in the CFB playoffs otherwise we’d see a completely different ranking.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
If Tech ends up 9-4 (which won't happen), Paul Johnson will only be 5 games over .500 for the past 9 seasons vs. FBS opponents. Will all of the fans of mediocrity still be calling him a great coach?
Holy crap man, stop with this last 9 years or last 3 years crap. Either look at his entire tenure here or just look at the individual season. Also, don't give me the "he won with Gailey's players" crap. Last time I checked, Gailey wasn't here to coach those guys up.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
If Tech ends up 9-4 (which won't happen), Paul Johnson will only be 5 games over .500 for the past 9 seasons vs. FBS opponents. Will all of the fans of mediocrity still be calling him a great coach?

I feel he is a great coach irrespective of how the season winds up. Since he's in his 11th season and is 80-58 to date I think he's done rather well and we won't even bring up his prior record that for some reason we have folks that think that means nothing. As for who his teams have played I would put their schedule up against the vast majority of P5 schools. So oh great oracle, do you feel that Tech cannot beat anyone left on their schedule? In that case why play them? Right? I love how you naysayers claim that anyone who is supportive of PJ are somehow accepting of mediocrity, I assure you in my case that is so far from the truth it's absolutely laughable.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
I know that there is a lot of emotion related to where things are... I think winning literally cures everything. Winning 4 of 5 has opened the door for most rational people to say "yeah, I could see it..."

We have a freshman QB that's having success behind an OL that returns most everyone, including 2 freshmen that are showing real promise (Quinney and Hansen). This all gives you reason to say we should see what happens.

I understand on the other side that many people want to move on from the option. But the offense is hanging points on the board, bottom line. The defense is making strides, and I think Woody deserves more time.

I may be in the minority, but I think if Johnson gets us back to a bowl game, he buys himself another season.

Status
Not open for further replies.