Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

slugboy

Staff member
Fwiw, when you say, "the entire game turned on" a single play in a game we won by three scores, you lose credibility, imo.
If you feel that way. The fumbled punt was at 7:15 in the second quarter. The odds turned towards us then, and the chart below looks like it has a "turn" there to me.
upload_2018-10-31_11-33-39.png

Here's what the scoring looked like. The fumbled punt changed a reasonable shot for VT having a two score lead to us knotting up the game at 6:57 in the second. It did change the course of the game. The second shift was forcing a 3-and-out on VTs next drive and us taking the lead for the first time.
When we got into the third, the wheels came off for VT. I have no idea why they didn't play like their backs were against the wall to start the third quarter.
upload_2018-10-31_11-35-56.png

We went from trailing and trading punches to tied after the fumble, then leading on the next drive. What wouldn't make that the biggest play of the game?
When we're leading, it changes how we play offense and how we play defense.
If VT doesn't fumble the punt, how does the game go? Which team would blink (or fumble) first?
Looking at the other games this year, if the other team doesn't screw up, then we do, and the wheels come off for us instead of them.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Key would only work if he makes a good hire at OC and keeps his hands off the offense. He was a god awful OC at UCF. However I don't know if we have the financial backing to really have a "CEO" type coach. We are better off having a good offensive coach and paying for a decent DC or vice versa. If we can afford to pay Roof $750k+ a year I think we can afford to retain Woody if our HC can basically be a Co-OC on the offensive side.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If you feel that way. The fumbled punt was at 7:15 in the second quarter. The odds turned towards us then, and the chart below looks like it has a "turn" there to me.
View attachment 4391
Here's what the scoring looked like. The fumbled punt changed a reasonable shot for VT having a two score lead to us knotting up the game at 6:57 in the second. It did change the course of the game. The second shift was forcing a 3-and-out on VTs next drive and us taking the lead for the first time.
When we got into the third, the wheels came off for VT. I have no idea why they didn't play like their backs were against the wall to start the third quarter.
View attachment 4392
We went from trailing and trading punches to tied after the fumble, then leading on the next drive. What wouldn't make that the biggest play of the game?
When we're leading, it changes how we play offense and how we play defense.
If VT doesn't fumble the punt, how does the game go? Which team would blink (or fumble) first?
Looking at the other games this year, if the other team doesn't screw up, then we do, and the wheels come off for us instead of them.

After that muffed-punt touchdown, our D forced two punts to end the first half and then 2 punts and a turnover on downs to start the second half. We only punted one more time. It is, of course, possible that both our D and our O would have simply collapsed if we had not recovered that fumbled punt. I just think it unlikely.

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
If Satterfield goes to UNC and CPJ is gone at GT i want the next GT head coach to be

Pat Fitzgerald Northwestern
Neal Brown Troy State
John Grass Jacksonville State
John Stiegelmeier South Dakota State
Mike Houston James Madison
Jason Candle Toledo
Dave Aranda LSU DC-Assistant Head Coach
Eliah Drinkwitz NCSU Offensive Coordinator
Mike Lynch Syracuse Offensive Coordinator
Matt House Kentucky Defensive Coordinator

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
Mike Houston now at James Madison has done a great job there; He came to the Citadel from Lenoir Ryne installed the Triple option; In his first year won the conference and beat South Carolina; James Madison hired him he scraped the option went t o more conventional offense and has done an unbelivable job; I think he may go to UNC

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Mike Houston now at James Madison has done a great job there; He came to the Citadel from Lenoir Ryne installed the Triple option; In his first year won the conference and beat South Carolina; James Madison hired him he scraped the option went t o more conventional offense and has done an unbelivable job; I think he may go to UNC
Yeah i think UNC will hire either Mike Houston or Scott Satterfield:cigar:

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
If Satterfield goes to UNC, I really hope he doesn't poach Woody from us.
If Satterfield gets the job at UNC or any where else, I believe he’s coming for Woody and Woody will go IMO.

Had Woody been at a bigger program he wouldn’t of left to come to GT. I believe he was just able to make the jump before Satterfield and he took the chance knowing Satt wouldn’t be far behind him and they could rejoin somewhere whether it be at GT, UNC, Id somewhere else.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
If Satterfield goes to UNC and CPJ is gone at GT i want the next GT head coach to be

Pat Fitzgerald Northwestern
Neal Brown Troy State
John Grass Jacksonville State
John Stiegelmeier South Dakota State
Mike Houston James Madison
Jason Candle Toledo
Dave Aranda LSU DC-Assistant Head Coach
Eliah Drinkwitz NCSU Offensive Coordinator
Mike Lynch Syracuse Offensive Coordinator
Matt House Kentucky Defensive Coordinator

Obviously it is always a crap shoot, unless it is Saban.

But I would add Major Applewhite & Charlie Strong to your list.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I kind of feel if that if the boosters are willing to shell out $14million for Fedora's buyout then they will be willing to throw some serious coin at a guy like Venables or Brohm or whoever the hot name is this year. $14million for a guy to not coach means you are serious about being a big time football school. Lots of people don't believe that Auburn can afford Gus's buyout which is around the same and that the boosters are simply bluffing.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Firing him now would be a total disaster...

A.) The season has turned around
B.) The structure is in place for a great season next year. Great OL returns, QB returns, 3 good BBacks return, A-Backs will be good.

G-Tech has a 9+ win team coming back next season.

My stance has been and remains: If Tech has a losing season, I think we have to move on for business reasons- ie TStan will have a really hard time asking for money without positive progress to show. Last season, despite the losing season he was able to reasonably say; we were close in a lot of games; made an exciting coaching change on defense; switched to Adidas; built an impressive new locker room and was investing in more recruiting staff...

I don't know what he can point to this year to justify donations- Unless, we make it to a bowl (especially if we win). Or we beat uGA. Or we finish really strong behind a returning QB... And probably still have to have some assistant coaching heads roll for the STs and sloppy play. Otherwise, it's going to have to be a new head coach. (A strong start from the BBall team would help a lot too...)

But, I also think the best coach available to Tech for next season is likely CPJ. Make a list of the coaches we can afford, who would take our job, don't have a better job/offer, and are good enough to win 6+ here with our roster next season... CPJ is on top of that list, along with Monken and Niumatalolo. I don't think we could fire CPJ to hire his protege to run his system and solve the problems. Otherwise, we're hiring a retread, a has been or a never-was...

Thus, I hope you are right. I think all the pieces are in place (barring attrition) for next season to be the deepest and most talented team CPJ has had. The new defense is showing more and more progress. I'd like to see the fruition of what's building.

Status
Not open for further replies.