Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

slugboy

Staff member
Huh? Seems like you are asking me to prove a negative. Anyway, I posted the stats in reply to this comment: “I don't think we have won a game against a big physical team that had better athletes than us without passing effectively.” The stats I posted were intended to show that is irrefutably untrue if their point was that we need to complete a good number of passes to beat big teams. We have beaten plenty of very good, ranked, factory programs with less than 5 completions.

We lose a bunch of games because we can’t pass. Miami last year, where we couldn’t move the ball at all in the second half, and couldn’t complete a pass to get a first down. UVA last year. Arguably USF this year where we couldn’t catch up. Would have helped against Clemson this year. Against both Pitt and Duke this year, our running game either let us down or cost us (by three fumbles).

How many games do we need to see where we can’t catch up?

Even looking at the VT game, the entire game turned on the VT fumbled punt. Up until then, we were trading blows. VT forced a punt, and if they’d caught it, I think the pressure would have been on us, and the game could have gone more like Duke. Instead we got a lead and put the pressure on them.

Almost any defense wants to make the other team one dimensional. We shouldn’t do our opponents work for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We lose a bunch of games because we can’t pass. Miami last year, where we couldn’t move the ball at all in the second half, and couldn’t complete a pass to get a first down. UVA last year. Arguably USF this year where we couldn’t catch up. Would have helped against Clemson this year. Against both Pitt and Duke this year, our running game either let us down or cost us (by three fumbles).

How many games do we need to see where we can’t catch up?

Even looking at the VT game, the entire game turned on the VT fumbled punt. Up until then, we were trading blows. VT forced a punt, and if they’d caught it, I think the pressure would have been on us, and the game could have gone more like Duke. Instead we got a lead and put the pressure on them.

Almost any defense wants to make the other team one dimensional. We shouldn’t do our opponents work for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fwiw, when you say, "the entire game turned on" a single play in a game we won by three scores, you lose credibility, imo.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
We lost to Miami because the boosters decided to make Roof the DC even though he was a complete failure everywhere he went. Miami ran the bubble screen for an entire series to march down the field on the last drive. We lost to USF because of defense and most importantly special teams. UVA was 100% on the defense where we lost the lead with 1:30 or something like that left. We have lost games because we can't pass but you chose some of the worst examples to make your point.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I don’t necessarily disagree with you but want to make sure we are on the same page. I agree we generally need to pass “effectively” to win against the big boys. I do not agree we have to pass MORE.

I have already posted this data, but will post it again. We actually had 10 or less pass ATTEMPTS in 8 of our 12 wins over ranked opponents during CPJ’s tenure. I am sure many of those are less than 5 completions.

#16 FSU - 6 pass attempts
#13 UGA - 6 pass attempts
#4 Va Tech - 7 pass attempts
#25 Clemson (ACC title game) - 18 pass attempts
#6 Clemson - 9 pass attempts
#18 Clemson - 11 pass attempts
#8 UGA - 16 pass attempts
#8 Miss St. - 12 pass attempts
#9 FSU - 10 pass attempts
#18 Va Tech - 7 pass attempts
UGA - 10 pass attempts
#17 Va Tech - 8 pass attempts

For me, passing efficiency is more critical than number of passes. We can and have won many games over big boys with just a select few, well timed pass plays. That is actually when we are at our best. It is false that we need to pass more to beat those teams.

Kudos for the nice data mining. Well done.
(y)

bmatthews6

Georgia Tech Fan
Probably way off topic here, but my Bills are on MNF and I've been jumping thru tables all night. Talked to my cousin last week (worked under Key last year at Bama) and Key desperately wants the job. Scares me a little that he has no head coaching experience, but of all the options suggested he is hands down the best recruiter and I feel as an alum that Tech wouldn't just be a stepping stone. Believe Satterfield to UNC is a done deal.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, when you say, "the entire game turned on" a single play in a game we won by three scores, you lose credibility, imo.
Slug we knew what u meant
At was kind of a bit literal .
Thanks for the comment.
Really added a lot of data.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Probably way off topic here, but my Bills are on MNF and I've been jumping thru tables all night. Talked to my cousin last week (worked under Key last year at Bama) and Key desperately wants the job. Scares me a little that he has no head coaching experience, but of all the options suggested he is hands down the best recruiter and I feel as an alum that Tech wouldn't just be a stepping stone. Believe Satterfield to UNC is a done deal.
I wonder if he would come be the OL coach at GT next year and wait out for the HC job? Imo that would make it more reasonable for him to get the job. Thanks for the info.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't that long ago that I remember he was negatively recruiting against us to get Mike Rogers to commit to UCF over GT (I know he was just doing his job). Honestly, I am not sold on him because of the lack of head coaching experience. Hell, he's only ever been a position coach, except for one year he was the offensive coordinator of an 0-12 team. May be better to let him go to a G5 school as HC first before we consider hiring him; I imagine we are his dream job so I doubt he'd get picked up elsewhere if he succeeds. Only reason I would want to pursue him is if he'd work for cheap ($1.8 million roughly like Pat Narduzzi) and we could pay our coordinators really well, essentially copying the Dabo Swinney/Clemson model (Swinney also was only a position coach, but he was a dynamic recruiter like Key that set the tone of the program).

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if he would come be the OL coach at GT next year and wait out for the HC job? Imo that would make it more reasonable for him to get the job. Thanks for the info.

I don't think he would leave Bama to take the same job at Tech. Would need to be a coordinator at the very least.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

If Satterfield goes to UNC, I really hope he doesn't poach Woody from us.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
He wont if cpj is here. But if cpj is gone and Satterfield does go to unc yes woody probably gone.
If Satterfield goes to UNC and CPJ is gone at GT i want the next GT head coach to be

Pat Fitzgerald Northwestern
Neal Brown Troy State
John Grass Jacksonville State
John Stiegelmeier South Dakota State
Mike Houston James Madison
Jason Candle Toledo
Dave Aranda LSU DC-Assistant Head Coach
Eliah Drinkwitz NCSU Offensive Coordinator
Mike Lynch Syracuse Offensive Coordinator
Matt House Kentucky Defensive Coordinator

Status
Not open for further replies.