Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
The absolute very worst thing about Al Gore inventing the internet is that it allows people to use the inane phrase "accept mediocrity". I have been blessed to have been on this earth a long time. This is a phrase I honestly have never heard another human being use in an actual real live conversation. But sadly. I have read it numerous times...on the internet. It needs to go away. Rant over.

Impossible to like this more. That is the most lazy, least thoughtful phrase on the internet.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I think we should wait until this season is over to have these discussions in any kind of serious way. This team is in a very similar situation as the 2016 team which also started as a “Fire Paul Johnson” season and ended with a win in Athens and a bowl win(Ironically that team was also 3-3 at the halfway point of the season and beat VT on the road with the back up QB).

The few things I will say now is that we see a lot of young talent on offense with guys like Oliver and Mason. Woody has the D improving each week. There’s a lot of positives. There’s no way CPJ is canned if we make a bowl.

Also, the revisionist history here is laughable. Last week everyone was doom and gloom “VT has all the athletes! We’re doomed”! Now after we walloped them VT is “terrible”.

I think the perfect scenario would be CPJ rights the ship and we get to see this young talent he recruited and this D coordinator he hired have a chance to build something with Stansbury. Obviously if CPJ doesn’t right the ship, things change, but I don’t see what is wrong with rooting for that perfect scenario.

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
No doubt the system works , just have to have the jimmies and Joes that can executed. Reminds me of Barry Switzer when somebody ask him when Oklahoma was going to quit running the wishbone after they lost to Nebraska. He asked reporter do you know what system Nebraska runs? For those that don't know Nebraska was running the wishbone too.

DCjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Isn’t this the problem w CPJ? He can’t get the jimmies n joes.. I think not many players that has nfl talent wants to play in this offense and not many D talent wants to come here bc they r practicing vs inferior offense talent.. I recall Pete carrol’s team saying that they were good bc they were competing against the better talent every day that were on the team..

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Isn’t this the problem w CPJ? He can’t get the jimmies n joes.. I think not many players that has nfl talent wants to play in this offense and not many D talent wants to come here bc they r practicing vs inferior offense talent.. I recall Pete carrol’s team saying that they were good bc they were competing against the better talent every day that were on the team..

I listened to Sirius 81 on my way to the airport. They interviewed a Dawg re today’s game. I’m not sure how you mispronounce a monosyllabic word, but he did. Jimmy nor Joe he ain’t.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Also, the revisionist history here is laughable. Last week everyone was doom and gloom “VT has all the athletes! We’re doomed”! Now after we walloped them VT is “terrible”.
Don't you know? If we beat them, they must be a garbage team. ;)

I think some people are secretly (sometimes not so secretly) hoping this GT team bombs just so they can say "I told you so" and hire a new coach. Frankly, if we win two more games and go to a bowl game, Paul is not gone. And that scares a lot of people. A dominating win over a decent VT team got CPJ one step closer to securing his job. Honestly, I do not care what direction we go as long as it is fully justified. I don't want us to dump a ton of money on buyouts and hiring a new coach just to "shake things up." Hell, we might actually mess around and find ourselves in the ACC Championship this year if we beat UNC, Miami, and UVA. Wouldn't that be funny.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Don't you know? If we beat them, they must be a garbage team. ;)

I think some people are secretly (sometimes not so secretly) hoping this GT team bombs just so they can say "I told you so" and hire a new coach. Frankly, if we win two more games and go to a bowl game, Paul is not gone. And that scares a lot of people. A dominating win over a decent VT team got CPJ one step closer to securing his job. Honestly, I do not care what direction we go as long as it is fully justified. I don't want us to dump a ton of money on buyouts and hiring a new coach just to "shake things up." Hell, we might actually mess around and find ourselves in the ACC Championship this year if we beat UNC, Miami, and UVA. Wouldn't that be funny.
I am hoping for best and think 7 - 5 is do able with a war at uga.

Beating unc , mia, uva and acc championships game would be fun.

Loosing 4 in a row would not be fun.

As to all the pro coach verses coach must go folks -either way 4 and 0 Or 0 and 4 would be funny in a "see I told u type funny"

To put an end to pro verses go folks I would love of it to be one or the other.

As comedy guy jerry clower said about the guy wrestling a big raccoon up in a tree= shoot up into the tree- one of us has got to have some relief!!!!

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I am hoping for best and think 7 - 5 is do able with a war at uga.

Beating unc , mia, uva and acc championships game would be fun.

Loosing 4 in a row would not be fun.

As to all the pro coach verses coach must go folks -either way 4 and 0 Or 0 and 4 would be funny in a "see I told u type funny"

To put an end to pro verses go folks I would love of it to be one or the other.

As comedy guy jerry clower said about the guy wrestling a big raccoon up in a tree= shoot up into the tree- one of us has got to have some relief!!!!

Wasn't a raccoon, it was lynx, also known as a souped up wildcat!

GTFLETCH

Banned
I guess the biggest question at this point does 5-7 allow AD TStan to give him one more year... My guess is probably so... With Cooper, Benson, BJS injuries I am sure AD TStan takes it into account..... 6-6 or better and CPJ is safe

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
What is our typical roster of QB's who are effective and who actually stay with the program? Nominally 3?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Despite the "we must pass more to win" crowd, did I mention that most of our biggest wins have come when we actually move the ball on the ground well and throw LESS? :happy:
Actually, I don't think we have won a game against a big physical team that had better athletes than us without passing effectively. We have dominated games where our O line wa simply better than their D line, but that doesn't honestly happen often in big boy football. It's usually a stalemate in the trenches and you have to find other ways (deception) to move the football.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Actually, I don't think we have won a game against a big physical team that had better athletes than us without passing effectively. We have dominated games where our O line wa simply better than their D line, but that doesn't honestly happen often in big boy football. It's usually a stalemate in the trenches and you have to find other ways (deception) to move the football.
You talking about this year or are you saying none of those SEC/NFL teams we beat previous seasons were big or physical?

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

I don’t necessarily disagree with you but want to make sure we are on the same page. I agree we generally need to pass “effectively” to win against the big boys. I do not agree we have to pass MORE.

I have already posted this data, but will post it again. We actually had 10 or less pass ATTEMPTS in 8 of our 12 wins over ranked opponents during CPJ’s tenure. I am sure many of those are less than 5 completions.

#16 FSU - 6 pass attempts
#13 UGA - 6 pass attempts
#4 Va Tech - 7 pass attempts
#25 Clemson (ACC title game) - 18 pass attempts
#6 Clemson - 9 pass attempts
#18 Clemson - 11 pass attempts
#8 UGA - 16 pass attempts
#8 Miss St. - 12 pass attempts
#9 FSU - 10 pass attempts
#18 Va Tech - 7 pass attempts
UGA - 10 pass attempts
#17 Va Tech - 8 pass attempts

For me, passing efficiency is more critical than number of passes. We can and have won many games over big boys with just a select few, well timed pass plays. That is actually when we are at our best. It is false that we need to pass more to beat those teams.

I always read a comment and think .......just exactly how much Offensive NFL talent have we produced in the last 40 years? The best talent that actually play has come from CPJ, with the exception of Calvin. We will never be an NFL factory....can you spel Calculus.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
He can get the jimmies and joes(Mills & Gray) but he just can’t keep them all around.

slugboy

Staff member
I always read a comment and think .......just exactly how much Offensive NFL talent have we produced in the last 40 years? The best talent that actually play has come from CPJ, with the exception of Calvin. We will never be an NFL factory....can you spel Calculus.

We produced more NFL players under Gailey (a number of defenders made and started in the NFL and some still do, but we had some good running backs and tight ends, too). That’s even with Flunkgate.
We produced a good bit with O’Leary on both sides of the ball—receivers, linemen included.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slugboy

Staff member
I don’t necessarily disagree with you but want to make sure we are on the same page. I agree we generally need to pass “effectively” to win against the big boys. I do not agree we have to pass MORE.

I have already posted this data, but will post it again. We actually had 10 or less pass ATTEMPTS in 8 of our 12 wins over ranked opponents during CPJ’s tenure. I am sure many of those are less than 5 completions.

#16 FSU - 6 pass attempts
#13 UGA - 6 pass attempts
#4 Va Tech - 7 pass attempts
#25 Clemson (ACC title game) - 18 pass attempts
#6 Clemson - 9 pass attempts
#18 Clemson - 11 pass attempts
#8 UGA - 16 pass attempts
#8 Miss St. - 12 pass attempts
#9 FSU - 10 pass attempts
#18 Va Tech - 7 pass attempts
UGA - 10 pass attempts
#17 Va Tech - 8 pass attempts

For me, passing efficiency is more critical than number of passes. We can and have won many games over big boys with just a select few, well timed pass plays. That is actually when we are at our best. It is false that we need to pass more to beat those teams.

Looking just at the wins and not the losses is cherry picking. At the very least, it’s bad stats.
If you just look at wins, for any team and not just us, you’ll think “more running = more wins”. A big part of that is that running works great when you’re ahead. When it’s the fourth quarter, and you’re down by 10, it sucks to need nine minutes to score a TD.
Also, if you look at any team’s wins, of course their basic game plan works better in the wins. It worked then, but not in the losses. That’s like asking lottery winners how they picked their numbers and trying to win the lottery the same way. Problem is, they picked their numbers the same way in the losses too.
When you look at games we lost, our opponents dared us to pass, and we couldn’t.
It’s like our offense is “Sex Panther Cologne”. Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.
[YOUTUBE]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Huh? Seems like you are asking me to prove a negative. Anyway, I posted the stats in reply to this comment: “I don't think we have won a game against a big physical team that had better athletes than us without passing effectively.” The stats I posted were intended to show that is irrefutably untrue if their point was that we need to complete a good number of passes to beat big teams. We have beaten plenty of very good, ranked, factory programs with less than 5 completions.

Status
Not open for further replies.