jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We need a dislike button to push for posts
Here you go.
th

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
@lawyermark: this is a great idea. It would save lots of thread-inches by eliminating replies that only serve to inflame and lead to hijacked threads.

Eric?

GTsuperfan

Jolly Good Fellow
I get it guys. Some of you dislike KQ. Just want you to dislike him for the right reasons. Carry on.

CPJ seemed pretty darn confident that no one could guess this one. I imagine he won't play that game again. Regardless you would have to be pretty short sighted to pass on a free MBA and a chance to run the ball 10+ times per game.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This guy won't have a huge learning curve imo. He should have plenty of football smarts and experience. I don't think hitting the hole as a Bback is terribly different from a FB hitting the correct hole to make a block. Gotta know where to go and be quick about it in both instances.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I hate when message board folks attack each other. We are all Tech fans and all want the same thing, success for Tech sports. (Well, aside from J Hart who just wants CPJ fired at all costs...but I digress.) KQ has generally been great for Tech fans and provides a lot of good information. Yes, he botched the Gregory thing big time, but I also tend to think his information was pretty solid when he first reported it. That was also an outlier to what I otherwise understand to be generally good and reliable reporting.

What I don't like is him being rude to Eric. I think this site is the absolute best and that Eric does a tremendous job moderating posts and being fair and responsible with reporting. That said, I would rather us Swarm posters be the "bigger man" and not respond to KQ's personal remarks to Eric with equally low personal attacks back.

Let's just hope this all turns out for the best and that we get a new player to cheer for. I think it is generally good to have more folks reporting and providing information on Tech sports than less. Rant over.

dhbartlett12

Ramblin' Wreck
Skov has explosiveness, and watching his videos, his team relied on him to score goal line TDs from basically the BB position. I think he is a great fit.
When I saw that he was a FB, my first reaction was "oh no." but his film laid that to rest. He runs down hill, carries the ball well, and has great acceleration. He is 22/23 years old, is heavy, but actually lost weight since highschool. He is 100% muscle.
The fact that he has no stats is not an issue. He's had no opportunity. Every year, every team has an older kid shine because its his first year to get the chance to play.

Maybe he can't make the transition, but I don't see any reason to think that will happen. Worst case scenario is that he is on par with Sims/Days/Laskey, which is to say good.

gtalltheway

Jolly Good Fellow
I see the spin cycle is running high today on GTSwarm. Eric would not have locked the thread if he thought the thread was not harmful in anyway to GT athletics but you guys are hammering KQ?????

For those that care, KQ received permission from the Skov family to release it since some message board hero on this site needed to pound his chest by throwing GT players under the bus. How do you think that makes CPJ feel that players leaked something.

There will likely not be a huge fallout over this in my opinion but let's be clear where the issue is and it's not with KQ.
But who's your source? Or are you kelly quinlan?

Last edited:
Skov has explosiveness, and watching his videos, his team relied on him to score goal line TDs from basically the BB position. I think he is a great fit.
When I saw that he was a FB, my first reaction was "oh no." but his film laid that to rest. He runs down hill, carries the ball well, and has great acceleration. He is 22/23 years old, is heavy, but actually lost weight since highschool. He is 100% muscle.
The fact that he has no stats is not an issue. He's had no opportunity. Every year, every team has an older kid shine because its his first year to get the chance to play.

Maybe he can't make the transition, but I don't see any reason to think that will happen. Worst case scenario is that he is on par with Sims/Days/Laskey, which is to say good.
Actually, the worst case scenario is that he doesn't pan out at all, but so what? What have we lost by giving him a chance? A scholarship is apparently open, and since it's only for one year (I assume), then that scholarship will be open again next year.

gtalltheway

Jolly Good Fellow
I hate when message board folks attack each other. We are all Tech fans and all want the same thing, success for Tech sports. (Well, aside from J Hart who just wants CPJ fired at all costs...but I digress.) KQ has generally been great for Tech fans and provides a lot of good information. Yes, he botched the Gregory thing big time, but I also tend to think his information was pretty solid when he first reported it. That was also an outlier to what I otherwise understand to be generally good and reliable reporting.

What I don't like is him being rude to Eric. I think this site is the absolute best and that Eric does a tremendous job moderating posts and being fair and responsible with reporting. That said, I would rather us Swarm posters be the "bigger man" and not respond to KQ's personal remarks to Eric with equally low personal attacks back.

Let's just hope this all turns out for the best and that we get a new player to cheer for. I think it is generally good to have more folks reporting and providing information on Tech sports than less. Rant over.
I agree with you, although kq might have had good info at the time on the Gregory thing it's still not his place to do what he did but it's Georgia techs place

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I see the spin cycle is running high today on GTSwarm. Eric would not have locked the thread if he thought the thread was not harmful in anyway to GT athletics but you guys are hammering KQ?????

For those that care, KQ received permission from the Skov family to release it since some message board hero on this site needed to pound his chest by throwing GT players under the bus. How do you think that makes CPJ feel that players leaked something.

There will likely not be a huge fallout over this in my opinion but let's be clear where the issue is and it's not with KQ.

I read that thread and no one was throwing any GT players under the bus, a guy made a guess based on some rumors. Eric locked the thread because a coach told him. KQ has no position to attack E on anything- he provided none of the rumors and confirmed nothing.

Lastly, how do you know KQ had permission?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Eric is not the bad guy here (not that anyone is calling him that other than KQ). I believe KQ broke it first and then CPJ commented on it (or the other way around). Once that off-season nest was disturbed, the message board guys weren't going to stop guessing. The only difference between this board and any other [dumb] board is that we're smart enough and resourceful enough to figure it out. If everyone that knew about it would have not lost their cool when we came up with the right answer, we would have kept on moving. It would have been easy to deny [read: redirect] for another couple of days. Eric's sole error was admitting he actually knew and that it wasn't a 1st or 2nd stringer. There were too many other 'swing-and-misses' Skov to stick as the right answer.

I say the blame lies with KQ for getting anxious and asking for permission to "break" the story. By the time he tweeted, the thread was down. Those of us that read it knew, but it wasn't out there in the public anymore. It would have kept for another day or so, especially after Eric said to keep it under wraps. No, this falls fully on KQ's shoulders. Just my opinion.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
People need to remember that KQ earns his living by selling subscriptions and web hits. He's charging for what we have here. This site is taking money directly from his pocket, and is mostly out-performing his site. In terms of recruiting, I find Eric's info more timely and better vetted that what I've seen on the Rivals site, and it's free. Can't blame him for getting grumpy about it.

@Eric didn't you work on the Rivals site for a while with Kelly? You're stealing his thunder, no wonder he's ornery.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When I saw the name, I just had to chuckle. You see, I know the Skov family very well. Shayne attended the last school I worked at in NY before moving to ATL last summer. He is a great kid. Don't let the whole fro hawk thing fool you. That kid is intelligent and he is sophisticated. He was a great student and the head prefect of the student body his senior year. That doesn't happen by accident. In fact, I would have to say he was certainly the best pure leader the student body had seen in my tenure. We were pretty close. I tried like heck to get him to go to GT during his recruitment. I think he was interested (certainly had the grades) but he didn't have a very high opinion of the DC we had at the time. You know, the first one in the CPJ era. Anyway, I failed GT nation, in that I couldn't persuade Shayne otherwise. Having said that, I would love to see any member of the Skov family attend GT, if even for one year.

It broke my heart to see his mom go down hill like that. She is a wonderful woman and I enjoyed getting to know her. His Dad is pretty special too. I don't know Pat well. I'll be honest, but I know of him. If he was raised in that family, he will be solid. Nuff said. We would be lucky to have him. If nothing else it would be a good chance for me to reunite with the family.

Status
Not open for further replies.