Patrick Skov to visit Tomorrow per KQ on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I see the spin cycle is running high today on GTSwarm. Eric would not have locked the thread if he thought the thread was not harmful in anyway to GT athletics but you guys are hammering KQ?????

For those that care, KQ received permission from the Skov family to release it since some message board hero on this site needed to pound his chest by throwing GT players under the bus. How do you think that makes CPJ feel that players leaked something.

There will likely not be a huge fallout over this in my opinion but let's be clear where the issue is and it's not with KQ.
Now you're just being silly.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
People need to remember that KQ earns his living by selling subscriptions and web hits.

@forensicbuzz I'm quoting you out of context. you made some really good points in your full post. But this 1 particular fact is symbolic of a bigger gripe I have with the way (non-GT people) view commerce on the internet. You are exactly right - KQ earns money by selling subscriptions. He's not a journalist, he's the paper delivery boy. His labor does not add new information to society's collective understanding of college football recruiting. He's merely repackaging rumors and information he obtained from other people and then privatizing that information and selling it for his own personal gain.

Why should KQ profit for reporting on a HS's decision to choose a college? Why should KQ profit for typing what CPJ said in an interview to the media? Don't get me wrong. I'm not discrediting journalism. Journalism serves a fundamental and necessary role in our society. Moreover, it's a challenging industry to operate profitably. But, let's not kid ourselves. KQ is not serving as a voice for the vulnerable. KQ is not enlightening our intelligence by framing an important social issue in a novel way. KQ is not researching and experimenting and innovating and failing and failing again and marching forth on the path of progress. Rather, KQ is doing what every person on this board has done their entire lives - discuss sports with other sports fans.

I have no sympathy for a UGA grad who earns a living selling subscriptions to a website about GT football. You have no right to profit off that information in the first place. I never visit rivals unless it's clicking on a link to a recruiting prospect posted on this site. And that link is public, so you / your yahoo superiors are earning $0.005 per click by showing me an ad for a "new law in GA that insurance companies don't want me to see". That's a more than fair price, IMO. But, at the end of the day, I don't want your product. I don't want rumors. I don't want Q&A's with subscribers. I don't want "exclusive" this or "subscribers only" that.

All i want is a website where I can spend 15 - 30 minutes of leisure time talking about GT football with my online "friends". you know, people who i can relate to. People who enrich my connection to my favorite football team. People who played football for GT and can explain the different roles in a 4-2-5 scheme. people who are parents of GT football players (How you doing, @DaddyBill). I want to be with my fellow nerd, the jolly good fellos who can provide me with advanced analytics to help me understand GT's offensive performance better. I want to watch youtube videos created by @Boomergump and listen to him break down game film. I want to hear from people who taught these prospects in HS.

& you know what - i know it costs money to host a website. and i know it costs eric a lot of time and effort to provide information on this site. But i guarantee you, if he asked for donations to help fund this site or even to help cover a personal expense if he ever fell on hard times, the people on this site would meet the donation target in less than 24 hours. Guaranteed. We don't take this site for granted.

The point of my rant is - "economic analysis" is only half the picture. (again, Im using the above quote out of context from its org. post). We also have to ask - should this guy even being making money in the first place? If you think about it, Twitter and Youtube essentially make KQ irrelevant. If HS players can tweet their offers and engage directly with fans, why pay the middleman for less and worse information? If HS players can upload their gamefilm, if GT can record CPJ answering media questions and upload the video to youtube, why do we need the middleman? We still need the Erics of the world - people who the establishment trusts and who can disseminate information better to the community. I add emphasis to community, b/c that's what separates eric from KQ. Eric gives information and the users on this forum all add their collective knowledge & opinions to it. GT benefits because it's building a more engaged fan base. Eric benefits b/c he enhances his reputation and builds influence to his name. We users benefit b/c we get better info about our hobby. compare that to KQ and rivals. Does GT benefit from rivals? definitely not in rankings. if anything, it hurts the fan base b/c people like me would go there and see GT pulling in the 56th best recruiting class...It's hard to compare GT to Stanford when we are ranked behind Iowa State, on any list. Do the GT players benefit from rivals? IDK, ask Will Bryan. Do the people paying $10 a month for information they can get for free benefit? IDK, ask a Comcast subscriber. Are the only people benefiting from that website the people who earn a profit from it? I.e. a UGA grad and the ugly-step child of the dot.com boom children (yahoo). KQ - We're done being treated like customers. We are fans.

/
end rant.
/ resume studying.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
@forensicbuzz I'm quoting you out of context. you made some really good points in your full post. But this 1 particular fact is symbolic of a bigger gripe I have with the way (non-GT people) view commerce on the internet. You are exactly right - KQ earns money by selling subscriptions. He's not a journalist, he's the paper delivery boy. His labor does not add new information to society's collective understanding of college football recruiting. He's merely repackaging rumors and information he obtained from other people and then privatizing that information and selling it for his own personal gain.

Why should KQ profit for reporting on a HS's decision to choose a college? Why should KQ profit for typing what CPJ said in an interview to the media? Don't get me wrong. I'm not discrediting journalism. Journalism serves a fundamental and necessary role in our society. Moreover, it's a challenging industry to operate profitably. But, let's not kid ourselves. KQ is not serving as a voice for the vulnerable. KQ is not enlightening our intelligence by framing an important social issue in a novel way. KQ is not researching and experimenting and innovating and failing and failing again and marching forth on the path of progress. Rather, KQ is doing what every person on this board has done their entire lives - discuss sports with other sports fans.

I have no sympathy for a UGA grad who earns a living selling subscriptions to a website about GT football. You have no right to profit off that information in the first place. I never visit rivals unless it's clicking on a link to a recruiting prospect posted on this site. And that link is public, so you / your yahoo superiors are earning $0.005 per click by showing me an ad for a "new law in GA that insurance companies don't want me to see". That's a more than fair price, IMO. But, at the end of the day, I don't want your product. I don't want rumors. I don't want Q&A's with subscribers. I don't want "exclusive" this or "subscribers only" that.

All i want is a website where I can spend 15 - 30 minutes of leisure time talking about GT football with my online "friends". you know, people who i can relate to. People who enrich my connection to my favorite football team. People who played football for GT and can explain the different roles in a 4-2-5 scheme. people who are parents of GT football players (How you doing, @DaddyBill). I want to be with my fellow nerd, the jolly good fellos who can provide me with advanced analytics to help me understand GT's offensive performance better. I want to watch youtube videos created by @Boomergump and listen to him break down game film. I want to hear from people who taught these prospects in HS.

& you know what - i know it costs money to host a website. and i know it costs eric a lot of time and effort to provide information on this site. But i guarantee you, if he asked for donations to help fund this site or even to help cover a personal expense if he ever fell on hard times, the people on this site would meet the donation target in less than 24 hours. Guaranteed. We don't take this site for granted.

The point of my rant is - "economic analysis" is only half the picture. (again, Im using the above quote out of context from its org. post). We also have to ask - should this guy even being making money in the first place? If you think about it, Twitter and Youtube essentially make KQ irrelevant. If HS players can tweet their offers and engage directly with fans, why pay the middleman for less and worse information? If HS players can upload their gamefilm, if GT can record CPJ answering media questions and upload the video to youtube, why do we need the middleman? We still need the Erics of the world - people who the establishment trusts and who can disseminate information better to the community. I add emphasis to community, b/c that's what separates eric from KQ. Eric gives information and the users on this forum all add their collective knowledge & opinions to it. GT benefits because it's building a more engaged fan base. Eric benefits b/c he enhances his reputation and builds influence to his name. We users benefit b/c we get better info about our hobby. compare that to KQ and rivals. Does GT benefit from rivals? definitely not in rankings. if anything, it hurts the fan base b/c people like me would go there and see GT pulling in the 56th best recruiting class...It's hard to compare GT to Stanford when we are ranked behind Iowa State, on any list. Do the GT players benefit from rivals? IDK, ask Will Bryan. Do the people paying $10 a month for information they can get for free benefit? IDK, ask a Comcast subscriber. Are the only people benefiting from that website the people who earn a profit from it? I.e. a UGA grad and the ugly-step child of the dot.com boom children (yahoo). KQ - We're done being treated like customers. We are fans.

/
end rant.
/ resume studying.
Save for that one, and maybe predictable, bit of GT elitism allowed to creep in, a really excellent analysis. Seriously. One would think you studied critical thinking somewhere. Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.