Pastner Wardrobe Watch

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It's not in my nature to just blindly follow. I like to think for myself and have an opinion. It would be completely hypocritical for me to fall in line after saying some of the things I said for almost a year leading up to the hire.

Heh, you best believe there are some just waiting to jump on you if you do. Especially considering how much support you've thrown behind the bulldogs. :sneaky:

Seriously though, I don't think it'd be blind following. Like has been said, CJP's here now. What good does it do to not root for the guy?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
It's not in my nature to just blindly follow. I like to think for myself and have an opinion. It would be completely hypocritical for me to fall in line after saying some of the things I said for almost a year leading up to the hire.

I don't think hypocritical is the right word. This is simply him doing things differently and better than you (and I) expected prior to the hire. I don't think it would be hypocritical to give him credit for doing what seems to be a really good job to this point. That doesn't have to be - and shouldn't be - unqualified support. Simply an acknowledgement of things done well so far. I was not happy with the hire to start but am more than willing to give him credit to date - and I don't think that is hypocritical.

But that doesn't mean extend the contract or equate him with K, Roy or Boeheim. There is still a long way to go before he passes muster. He has them playing about as well as anyone could have expected - and that goes to better organization and coaching (as a staff) than we saw at Memphis. But it is not unfair to point out he was the beneficiary of one of the all time eggs laid by UNC. Not unfair to point out we ain't even to the half way point of this year. Not unfair to point out we still need to see a ton more talent recruited.

Time will tell about the longer term but IMHO it ain't hypocritical to say so far better than I expected.
Thus endeth my english syntax lesson for the day :LOL:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Heh, you best believe there are some just waiting to jump on you if you do. Especially considering how much support you've thrown behind the bulldogs. :sneaky:

Seriously though, I don't think it'd be blind following. Like has been said, CJP's here now. What good does it do to not root for the guy?

Hey I want him to win every game the rest of the way. This is not a BG situation where I was almost hopeful for Ls because I knew he wasn't the guy and we needed to be bad to force the change (when it actually worked out exactly the opposite way) I want nothing more than for Pastner to be the guy. I wanna win.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I don't think hypocritical is the right word. This is simply him doing things differently and better than you (and I) expected prior to the hire. I don't think it would be hypocritical to give him credit for doing what seems to be a really good job to this point. That doesn't have to be - and shouldn't be - unqualified support. Simply an acknowledgement of things done well so far. I was not happy with the hire to start but am more than willing to give him credit to date - and I don't think that is hypocritical.

But that doesn't mean extend the contract or equate him with K, Roy or Boeheim. There is still a long way to go before he passes muster. He has them playing about as well as anyone could have expected - and that goes to better organization and coaching (as a staff) than we saw at Memphis. But it is not unfair to point out he was the beneficiary of one of the all time eggs laid by UNC. Not unfair to point out we ain't even to the half way point of this year. Not unfair to point out we still need to see a ton more talent recruited.

Time will tell about the longer term but IMHO it ain't hypocritical to say so far better than I expected.
Thus endeth my english syntax lesson for the day :LOL:

I have acknowledged his successes up to this point and have said this is the best coaching we have seen in this program in the last 6 years (at least) without any hesitation.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hey I want him to win every game the rest of the way. This is not a BG situation where I was almost hopeful for Ls because I knew he wasn't the guy and we needed to be bad to force the change (when it actually worked out exactly the opposite way) I want nothing more than for Pastner to be the guy. I wanna win.

Agree on all counts. I'm ashamed to say I openly rooted against BG.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I never rooted against CBG/GT or CPH/GT with respect to games. I always wanted to win every game. I did express frustration and dissatisfaction with both and hoped for their replacement during their last years.

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
So, do you think that there is no such thing as a bad coach, that fans of a team are always wrong who think changing coaches is best for the team?
That's not what I'm trying to say. I just think there is a sliding scale on when this is appropriate. It's early days and I think as a fan one should be all in right now. In time there is much more latitude to be skeptical or even fed up if things aren't heading in the right direction.
Obviously it's a free country so each should do as they see fit, it's just the way I view my very small role in support of the team.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
That's not what I'm trying to say. I just think there is a sliding scale on when this is appropriate. It's early days and I think as a fan one should be all in right now. In time there is much more latitude to be skeptical or even fed up if things aren't heading in the right direction.
Obviously it's a free country so each should do as they see fit, it's just the way I view my very small role in support of the team.

I'm glad this discussion has remained a Q&A instead of a bunch of attacking. Kudos to us.

Let me ask you this. If you had watched a program for a handful of years and recognized how a team played /performed during those years and decided that was not for you, how are you supposed to react when that coach is then brought in to run your program? You can't just cut loose what you witnessed for 5 years just because that guy is at the place you root for now can you? (I obviously can't) BUT, I absolutely hope he has massive success and wins us titles every year til he retires. I'm just not ready to thumb my nose at Memphis or the rest of the ACC and say "Look at our guy, Boom!"

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm glad this discussion has remained a Q&A instead of a bunch of attacking. Kudos to us.

Let me ask you this. If you had watched a program for a handful of years and recognized how a team played /performed during those years and decided that was not for you, how are you supposed to react when that coach is then brought in to run your program? You can't just cut loose what you witnessed for 5 years just because that guy is at the place you root for now can you? (I obviously can't) BUT, I absolutely hope he has massive success and wins us titles every year til he retires. I'm just not ready to thumb my nose at Memphis or the rest of the ACC and say "Look at our guy, Boom!"
No doubt I have ignorance on my side and as they say ingorance is bliss. ;)
I just want more butts in the seats. More fun for me, more energizing for the team, and shows well for the program. Some wreckless support in spite of potentially better judgement wont hurt anyone.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
No doubt I have ignorance on my side and as they say ingorance is bliss. ;)
I just want more butts in the seats. More fun for me, more energizing for the team, and shows well for the program. Some wreckless support in spite of potentially better judgement wont hurt anyone.

Haha. That's a solid answer. Well done

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This week's radio show had some good insights, one of which was how they're trying to keep kids fresher, given the ACC grind.

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
This week's radio show had some good insights, one of which was how they're trying to keep kids fresher, given the ACC grind.

I listened to this on the way home from work last night and I found his insights into our defensive philosophy to be fascinating. I know he incorporated the different zones to make up for an overall lack of talent on the roster, but I really hope he keeps this defensive philosophy even when our talent has been upgraded. We are hard to prepare for because of our multiple defensive looks and our tendency to change defenses mid possession. This could be even more devastating when we are on equal footing talent-wise with the rest of the ACC. If we eventually decide to man up the majority of the time we will just look like every other team and the games will turn into shootouts hoping the more talented team wins. I would love for us to develop a defensive reputation similar to UVA all the while having players talented enough to score 90 as well.