Pastner Wardrobe Watch

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I listened to this on the way home from work last night and I found his insights into our defensive philosophy to be fascinating. I know he incorporated the different zones to make up for an overall lack of talent on the roster, but I really hope he keeps this defensive philosophy even when our talent has been upgraded. We are hard to prepare for because of our multiple defensive looks and our tendency to change defenses mid possession. This could be even more devastating when we are on equal footing talent-wise with the rest of the ACC. If we eventually decide to man up the majority of the time we will just look like every other team and the games will turn into shootouts hoping the more talented team wins. I would love for us to develop a defensive reputation similar to UVA all the while having players talented enough to score 90 as well.
Agreed. I was thinking recently that CJP has strategized and coached in an analogous manner this year to CPJ's philosophy or formula for success at Tech. And both can be traced back to Bobby Dodd in how the grey fox would explain to his team that the opponents were bigger, faster, and stronger, but that the Tech athletes were smarter. Then he would coach to negate superior athletes through smart teamwork. Offensively, both CPJ and CJP try and create a lot of space then a lot of movement and straightline (or to the basket) aggression. But CJP's defensive strategy is even more akin to CPJ and Dodd at taking advantage of Tech's student-athlete smarts and discipline to throw multiple looks (formations) at the opponent to keep them off balance. That is crucial when a David meets Goliath.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
More good press (hint: scroll to the New Faces, New Places, Nice Results section) ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/forde-...ollege-basketballs-stretch-run-050916502.html

Also some interesting reading on lots of other cbb topics.

ETA: I hope the staff is keeping tabs on that Porter kid who's committed to WAS. If WAS keeps Romar after this season just to keep Porter committed, they're idiots. Even when we did it for Favors, at least we got a NCAA season out of it. WAS has the likely #1 pick on the roster right now and are under .500. Yuk.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
More good press (hint: scroll to the New Faces, New Places, Nice Results section) ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/forde-...ollege-basketballs-stretch-run-050916502.html

Also some interesting reading on lots of other cbb topics.

ETA: I hope the staff is keeping tabs on that Porter kid who's committed to WAS. If WAS keeps Romar after this season just to keep Porter committed, they're idiots. Even when we did it for Favors, at least we got a NCAA season out of it. WAS has the likely #1 pick on the roster right now and are under .500. Yuk.

He is easily the winingest coach in program history I beleive. Outside of random people with no affiliation to the program (Us, twitter-verse) there doesn't seem to be a ton of press on his failures. I think he gets one more year

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
He is easily the winingest coach in program history I beleive. Outside of random people with no affiliation to the program (Us, twitter-verse) there doesn't seem to be a ton of press on his failures. I think he gets one more year

Their football team going to the playoff probably takes a lot of heat off him too. But, at some point, they gotta ask themselves what do they want to be basketball-wise.

That he's their winningest coach is simply a feat of longevity. He's been living off early career "success" for a lot of years now. I mean, they have multiple NBA guys on the team right now and can't win. WTF?!

I have no clue how he recruits so well, but if I were the NCAA I'd have boots on the ground in Spokane. For the reasons you mentioned, I wouldn't be shocked to see him get another (mediocre) year.

Anyways, more positive GT-related press ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/31/...nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share&_r=0

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Their football team going to the playoff probably takes a lot of heat off him too. But, at some point, they gotta ask themselves what do they want to be basketball-wise.

That he's their winningest coach is simply a feat of longevity. He's been living off early career "success" for a lot of years now. I mean, they have multiple NBA guys on the team right now and can't win. WTF?!

I have no clue how he recruits so well, but if I were the NCAA I'd have boots on the ground in Spokane. For the reasons you mentioned, I wouldn't be shocked to see him get another (mediocre) year.

Anyways, more positive GT-related press ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/31/...nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share&_r=0

Agreed on all accounts

He has hiring practices that a town like Memphis would appreciate

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Whoa, why you gotta bring up old stuff? That's bygones under the bridge or some such phrase.

People in glass houses sink ships.

IMG_0894.JPG

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
The person behind the notcoachjohnson account is a certified genius when it comes to comedy. Some of the things that come out of that account have had me on the floor in tears.

Absolutely agree!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk