Pastner Wardrobe Watch

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
He was pretty much NBA or bust out of high school, but wasn't GT a favorite to land Howard if he chose to attend college? I think I remember him having strong GT leanings.

I thought we were favorites to land Randolph Morris, who eventually signed with Kentucky.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I thought we were favorites to land Randolph Morris, who eventually signed with Kentucky.

Morris came down to us & Kentucky. Probably the 1st recruiting heartbreak story I really remember following closely.

I believe Howard is on record as saying he would've gone to UNC if he had to go to college, but I'm pretty sure nobody was recruiting him. NBA or bust is accurate, as I recall.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Morris came down to us & Kentucky. Probably the 1st recruiting heartbreak story I really remember following closely.

I believe Howard is on record as saying he would've gone to UNC if he had to go to college, but I'm pretty sure nobody was recruiting him. NBA or bust is accurate, as I recall.

That's how I recall it also. Morris to KY definitely hurt. I was always like, "well, I know we're not getting that Howard kid but Morris has GT written all over him." Then Tubby happened.

Still, my biggest GT recruiting heartbreak was Abdur-Rahim to *shudders* Cal. I just couldn't understand it at the time. That one still stings.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't Morris going overseas? Or the draft? Or ineligible and then all of a sudden he was a UK signee? For some reason I remember something funky happening up at the end.

Weren't Howard, Morris and Josh Smith all on the same AAU team too? :eek:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Weren't Howard, Morris and Josh Smith all on the same AAU team too? :eek:

Yup. That team was LOADED.

https://www.legendssf.com/blogs/legends-blog/14491885-10-best-aau-basketball-teams-ever

3. 2003 Atlanta Celtics - Dwight Howard - NBA. Josh Smith - NBA. Randolph Morris - Kentucky, NBA. Jarvis Crittenton - Georgia Tech, NBA. Brandon Rush - Kansas, NBA. Mike Mercer, Georgia. The most intimidating front line in the history of traveling basketball. Future defensive Goliath's Josh Smith and Dwight Howard teamed to make the Celtics a dominant force. The often loaded Celtics featured 5 future NBA players and no one matched their talent level. Won the Adidas Big Time in Vegas. Won every game in the tournament (except 1) by 20 or more points.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
My high school team played against Dwight and Crit when they were at SWACA. It's hard to say who hurt us more, but the game was not very close. Our tallest player was 6'3" and he was also our point guard.

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college/how-tech-josh-pastner-are-trying-to-catch-up-in-re/nsHws/
For Georgia Tech basketball coach Josh Pastner and his staff, simply being visible to recruits at the multitude of AAU tournaments that they attended this summer wasn’t enough. And not even wearing a polo with the “GT” logo was sufficient.

“We had to wear Georgia Tech, nothing but,” he said. “But it had to have the whole word spelled out – ‘Georgia Tech basketball’ – and it had to be big. I wanted us to be a walking billboard.”

The immediate impact of Pastner’s marketing efforts won’t be known until this November, and probably not fully felt for a couple more years. But it apparently helped.

“Everybody talks about how visible he is,” said Norm Parker, director of the powerful Georgia Stars AAU team.

I wasn't really sure where to put this link since it talks about so many different targets that we are going after, but because of the quote above, I figured this was as good a place as any. The article is very good and really sheds a light on CJP and the entire staff's work ethic. I have no idea how he will work out in the long run, but I absolutely love what CJP has been doing so far to turn this ship around.