Pastner vs Crean

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This is the peak of Cream's time there.

Let that sink in.

ETA: And, of course, at his next stop he'll be touting how he made Edwards into an NBA player. :rolleyes:

Kids fall for the darndest things.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is the peak of Cream's time there.

Let that sink in.

ETA: And, of course, at his next stop he'll be touting how he made Edwards into an NBA player. :rolleyes:

Kids fall for the darndest things.

I heard he made D-Wade into a future Hall of Famer. No wonder the$e recruit$ are $printing up to "little a" to play for him $$$$$$....

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I heard he made D-Wade into a future Hall of Famer. No wonder the$e recruit$ are $printing up to "little a" to play for him $$$$$$....

Eggsactly.

Secondly though, I'm disappointed you completely failed to jump on the Tom Ice 'Cream' thing. You gone soft (serve)?

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Crean did a pretty good job at Marquette, keeping them stable and even lead them to a Final Four in his fourth year. Didn't reach anywhere near that success in the next five years though. Given what he walked into at Indiana, he did a hell of a job getting that program back on its feet as well! However, at a program like IU, they want what they had under Knight and I doubt they're ever going to get there again. Granted, after those back to back Sweet Sixteen appearances, the four years that followed included no postseason, another Sweet Sixteen, a first round exit, and a loss to Pastner in the first round of the NIT. Seems like a guy that can really recruit, but the actual on court success has a ceiling. I'm just not sure if that ceiling depends on the program he's at. With UGA, he's got a talent rich state, and I'm sure UGA fans would be happy with three straight NCAA appearances if it meant first round exits just to get some momentum and notoriety back to the program, but I'm not sure he's going to be able to pull that off. I've watched very few of their games, but after upsetting Memphis, I legit thought they could be a bubble team, but it seems like they've taken a complete nosedive.

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
They aren't winning but Edwards seems to have increased the excitement level to a point where ticket sales continue to be strong. I would imagine (with no data in front of me) that they are well ahead of last year and certainly outdrawing us by a significant amount.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
They aren't winning but Edwards seems to have increased the excitement level to a point where ticket sales continue to be strong. I would imagine (with no data in front of me) that they are well ahead of last year and certainly outdrawing us by a significant amount.
This is unfortunate but probably true.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Edwards is gone after this season (more than likely), and although they have 2 four star recruits coming in next season, they don't have a player quite to the level of Edwards to take his place for "excitement" factor. Crean will have to rely on actually playing good and winning basketball to drum up the excitement Edwards provides. Not looking likely.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Posting these mainly to get on @Peacone36 nerves since I know he really hates the guys running it...

Haha, it's funny 'cause it's true.

Not sure what to make of this but .. ok. Maybe if I had twitter, I'd understand? :D

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Posting these mainly to get on @Peacone36 nerves since I know he really hates the guys running it...

Haha, it's funny 'cause it's true.

Not sure what to make of this but .. ok. Maybe if I had twitter, I'd understand? :D

So you're saying that man behind the Coaching Changes Twitter account? That explains it...

slugboy

Staff member
Edwards is gone after this season (more than likely), and although they have 2 four star recruits coming in next season, they don't have a player quite to the level of Edwards to take his place for "excitement" factor. Crean will have to rely on actually playing good and winning basketball to drum up the excitement Edwards provides. Not looking likely.

Edwards would be insane not to go after this season, and halfway insane not to shut down completely right now to avoid injury before the NBA draft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Edwards is gone after the season, i'd be surprised if he is even going to class in Athens. He is going to be a Top 3 pick in the draft.

Their ticket sales i'm sure were well ahead of ours this year with Edwards coming in but after how the season has gone I bet they dip a fair bit before next season.
If you look at their boards and blog sites they were really active through mid-january and have just dropped to almost nothing now as their season fell apart.

Their defense is awful (which is not that unusual for Crean - in the last 18 seasons he has coached his teams have had a DEff ranking of below 100 ten times, and only 5 times better than 50). CBSSports had a new mock draft this week and Edwards dropped from #1 to #2 in it. Their comment was he was toiling away on a bad UGA team taking more bad shots than good ones.

in SEC play Edwards leads them with 20.8 ppg, but is shooting only 29% from three and taking more than 50% of his shot attempts from there. Meanwhile he has only 68 FTA in 11 SEC games.
Hammonds is their second leading scorer at 10.4 ppg.
Their FR class is going to need to step up bigtime next season for them to be any better than they are right now.