Pastner vs Crean

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Make no mistake, there is plenty to criticize Pastner for. I just see no reason to fluff up the UGA coach to make that point. The fact is as of right now Crean still has a worse win% at UGA than Pastner has at GT. Last year was the worst year for UGA basketball since 04-05. The best coaching job either coach has pulled at their current school was Pastner's year 1 and the worst coaching job was Crean's year 1. This year they have one quality win and haven't even reached conference play yet. There are probably a dozen coaches that would better make the point of the topic than Crean.

Sorry, but the benefit of the doubt that is being given to Crean in this topic is what I would expect from UGA fans. Not from GT fans, no matter your opinion on our current coach. Now maybe he cruises through SEC play, goes to the sweet sixteen, lands another huge class in '21 and this topic is justified, but you would think people would wait for that to happen before making this topic instead of when they beat an overrated Memphis team minus the biggest reason for their ranking. Hell Memphis is now ranked 21st and goes to play Wichita State on the road. There is a decent chance they aren't a top 25 team this time next week.
I think what he’s saying is is that we’ve heard pastner give a buttload of excuses & tell us “we’re not gonna expect to be contenders until year 3,4”, when crean has made waves in year 2. And btw it’s year 4 & nothing has changed , it’s regressed from year 1

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The little brother syndrome ? Are you serious ?

Yes and the rest of your post demonstrated that syndrome perfectly.

I think what he’s saying is is that we’ve heard pastner give a buttload of excuses & tell us “we’re not gonna expect to be contenders until year 3,4”, when crean has made waves in year 2. And btw it’s year 4 & nothing has changed , it’s regressed from year 1

lol what waves has he made this year? They literally have one quality win. Do you realize the irony in ripping Pastner for saying it'll take 3-4 years when it was Crean that suffered the worst season in a decade for the program in year 1 while Pastner won ACC CoY in year 1?

Oh and for those keeping score Crean is now 2-18 against SEC teams while at UGA.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Happy Crean’s mutts lost to KY. Not sure what the crowd was like at stegeman, but was thrilled to hear GO BIG BLUE chant over the tv :)

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
Happy Crean’s mutts lost to KY. Not sure what the crowd was like at stegeman, but was thrilled to hear GO BIG BLUE chant over the tv :)
On tv it looked like a good showing by the Georgia fans. Lowest amount of UK fans I can remember at Stegman.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes and the rest of your post demonstrated that syndrome perfectly.

lol what waves has he made this year? They literally have one quality win. Do you realize the irony in ripping Pastner for saying it'll take 3-4 years when it was Crean that suffered the worst season in a decade for the program in year 1 while Pastner won ACC CoY in year 1?

Oh and for those keeping score Crean is now 2-18 against SEC teams while at UGA.
2-0 vs us

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
It's very very easy to rip Pastner: say what you want about the trouble off the court, but anyone with common sense knows he knew some of what has gone on with the stuff that's put us on probation. The first year was very good but been downhill since, it doesn't take very long to rebuild a bball program when it only takes a couple of really good players to get things going, i.e: auburn!! He has repeatedly made excuses about how if Okogie hadn't left we'd be in great shape,etc. Recruiting isn't good at all: I said earlier we had the 37th ranked class but it's actually 43rd, and GT shouldn't be excited about that. Crean hasn't set the woods on fire but he's recruited a player that we haven't seen the likes of here since Favors, he's got the fanbase excited and 10-4 would be nice for us right now. I don't think my 2 cents on this is really not a praise on Crean but more of an indictment on Pastner and the state of GT bball: it should be soooooo much better than this and some people think we should settle for it which is stupid..we have tradition here and are in a very very fertile recruiting area. And I think Collins may be proving that we can get good athletes even with academic restrictions.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, and Stegeman sells out even though that redneck fan base doesn’t give 2 s***s about basketball.

But posters on here will tell you that losing to them (again) didn’t matter because that game isn’t important.

As soon as they hired Crean, I new it was going to be bad for GT. They are more serious than us and they don’t even care about basketball.

One of the more infuriating things about this board and those in our fanbase who feel this way.

LibertyTurns

Banned
So just an update.

After the 10 point home loss against previously winless, in conference, Ole Miss, UGA is now 1-5 in the SEC bringing Crean's record to 3-22 against SEC teams in his time at UGA.
Those 3 wins are enough to piss you off & ruin your day. The mutt cannot lose enough to satisfy my appetite.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UGA has also fallen below GT in the KenPom rankings. GT is at 83 after the win today, UGA falls to #91 with its loss.

GT has simply lost too many close games. According to KenPom GT played the 31st toughest OOC schedule and through today the 8th toughest schedule overall . GT needed to find a way to win some of those close games, instead they have lost almost all the close ones except against NC ST.

For me personally, losing to UGA sucks in any sport, but especially basketball. I'm not happy at all about Pastner's record against UGA as it is the most important OOC game to me every year.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Braine screwed us with the Hewitt contract and MBob really finished it off.

Don't leave out DRad who turned the MBB search over to Eddie Fogler who was bad mouthing our job while arranging guys to interview for it.

Also, I wish we had reason to pay attention to this but in case anyone wants to follow it the NCAA updates the NET rankings every day.
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

After the rankings is a link to the NET Team sheets.
https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/SitePages/Home.aspx
The team sheets is a big pdf document that has the teams in NET order. But you can see exactly what the committe receives. there is alot of info on it.

What's very frustrating is if this team had simply pulled out the home games against Ark and ND then you could legitimately talk about them as a bubble team (not one on the right side of it, but one still in contention with a month to go).
Doesn't mean it will stay this way but GT is ahead of UGA in all the major ranking systems used by the NCAA right now - Sagarin, KenPom, BPI, NET.

As mentioned above though we should not be comparing ourselves to UGA, we should be flat out consistently better than their program.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

The loss to them sucks for obvious reasons, but I feel reasonably certain that if we played them today, it would be a different outcome.

They seemed to play way above their heads in that game. If we had played any defense on Rayshaun Hammonds, we get that W.

To no one's surprise, that was his season high. He doubled his season avg. in that game as he is only averaging 13.4 ppg on the season.