Pastner Staff Thread

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I would expect Labarrie to do a decent job working with the guards. I think I'd still roll with White as the #3 though.

It's a tough call for me. I like White and thought the hire was a no-brainer. That being said, he and LaBarrie fill the same slot in my head, especially when I think that Schrage might be an alternative for the last slot.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I get that. You misunderstand me.

My point was that someone may have asserted that Hewitt had an expertise in "Building a Motion Offense"--he published a DVD with that title. Yet based on his results during his last years, I would dispute that expertise. So, if it's said that Eric developed an expertise but the evidence of its implementation for his team was decreased winning, I would question its value. As a stats guy, I don't just accept assertions of expertise as inherently valuable. I have to see evidence of their value. So, I'm not passing judgment one way or the other.

Still, my comment was not intended as that big of a point. It was more about my agnosticism than about him. I'm happy that he's got a positive reputation and look forward optimistically to his contribution to GT basketball.

Gotcha, I agree with you. I do think his expertise in the analytics department could be more beneficial in an assistant role, but we'll see.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Curious and no disrespect intended but what is it that excites you about these choices?

I'm not him but I'll chime in with my ill-informed thoughts.

I like what I've read on The Reveno. Wanted an X's and O's and development demon. He seems to fit both and as an added bonus is apparently also good on the trail.

Like Labarrie because he's plugged into the local recruiting scene and seems to be a good coach at the college level. As an added bonus, he graduated with me so ... there's that.

No idea about the 2 behind-the-scenes dudes.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
To those of you who are less than pleased: What is it about these two that makes you unhappy? OK, neither is White or Huff. But, do you know (beyond a doubt) they are better than the two men CPast hired?

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
To those of you who are less than pleased: What is it about these two that makes you unhappy? OK, neither is White or Huff. But, do you know (beyond a doubt) they are better than the two men CPast hired?
I agree White and Huff have high upside however you don't know they are unproven at the college level

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Can you convince those people the ones hired benefit GT more than White and Huff?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Can you convince those people the ones hired benefit GT more than White and Huff?
No, but given my lack of knowledge about the four men, I have to rely on the judgement of the men who will be held accountable for these decisions. If you or I are wrong, the worst that happens is dtm will haze us on the Swarm. CPast could lose his job and trash a pretty bright career.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

People here have a tendency to make up their mind who we should get before we make a hire and then judge the hire based simply on if we hired them or not, instead of actually evaluating who we did hire.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
No, but given my lack of knowledge about the four men, I have to rely on the judgement of the men who will be held accountable for these decisions. If you or I are wrong, the worst that happens is dtm will haze us on the Swarm. CPast could lose his job and trash a pretty bright career.

I dunno man, I am not fully behind the Posh hire and I'm not fully behind the passing over of guys loyal to this program that want desperately to see this program succeed.

I could have gotten behind the Posh hire if we had made hires in the support staff that gave GT in roads to the states top recruits. I do not believe we have done that. And that fact has soured me on the initial hire that I tried to get on board with after saying "hell ****ing no"

We are treading water through buyouts til the next hire.

There is no good reason for not hiring these Atlanta recruiting assassins.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
I still think White gets the last spot on the bench. One of the articles posted about today's hires stated the last spot may take some more time to fill. White is still a HS coach for a few weeks.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
For what it's worth, when this assistant search started someone in the HS b'ball community told me almost verbatim:

"He needs to go HS coach if he wants local connections. Hire a guy with specific AAU ties and the other programs will black ball him. Take the route and not hire HS/AAU guy then he gets blackballed like Fox did when he was first hired."

The same person suggested White is the safest choice. So, that's one argument among a couple others that have me wanting White. It made sense with a blank slate and I don't know yet if there are implications with the two hires made.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I am a White supporter and trust he will be on the staff. Having said that. Having said that White has not recruited a single player to a college team.
Who has Huff brought to a college team?

So who has revenoand Labarrie brought to a college team?