Pastner Staff Thread

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know. That's my point.

To be fair if you want Pastner to hire an experienced HC as his X & O's assistant, chances are this coach will have had a bad season recently and been fired. Outside of Dooley this year, it'd be pretty hard to pull a current HC away from his spot to be an assistant at a rebuilding program.

I wonder what the connection to Eric is, or if he found him through his coaching search and liked his resume.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is what stood out to me:

Reveno gained a reputation for his recruiting ability and also for his development of Stanford’s post players, seven of whom went on to play in the NBA. He was a staff member at the renowned Pete Newell Big Man Camp for six years.

I have no idea if this guy is the good X's and O's coach to supplement Pastner, but his development of post players is a great thing. Lammers should be happy.
Maybe Romello, as well.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe some one can tell me if there is an advantage of an X&O guy being from the left coast. How many ACC coaches have coached
against him?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Romello is more of a MGH mold I thought. A good big man coach would help our two raw PF/C's who redshirted as well

Romello isn't quite perimeter capable offensively but he is pretty money around top of the key. Erik Williams at Wake type. Not quite as fierce a rebounder

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Andy Katz:

Great move by new Georgia Tech coach Josh Pastner hiring former Portland coach Eric Reveno for his staff. Never heard anyone say a negative word about Reveno. Known to be a high-level big man coach (was at Stanford). Reveno also should help Pastner with administrative aspects of job and a good quote for media. A source said the hire will be official soon. Pastner also has hired former Georgia State and Georgia Tech assistant Darryle LaBerrie.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
2 key spots left: Assistant Coach and Director of Player Development
I really like the hires so far. I have a lot of respect for Justin Young and his opinions and he loves both hires.

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
So does Reveno also fill the X/O role or does the last coach need to be a guards and X/O coach? Anyone know if Sharman White would be willing to take Director of Player Development job?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So does Reveno also fill the X/O role or does the last coach need to be a guards and X/O coach? Anyone know if Sharman White would be willing to take Director of Player Development job?

I still think if White doesn't land here he'll end up at GaSt. We'd probably pay more even in a support role.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm just surprised that as a stats guy, you wouldn't acknowledge any value in someone bringing that type of expertise to the table. It won't hurt, that's my point.

I get that. You misunderstand me.

My point was that someone may have asserted that Hewitt had an expertise in "Building a Motion Offense"--he published a DVD with that title. Yet based on his results during his last years, I would dispute that expertise. So, if it's said that Eric developed an expertise but the evidence of its implementation for his team was decreased winning, I would question its value. As a stats guy, I don't just accept assertions of expertise as inherently valuable. I have to see evidence of their value. So, I'm not passing judgment one way or the other.

Still, my comment was not intended as that big of a point. It was more about my agnosticism than about him. I'm happy that he's got a positive reputation and look forward optimistically to his contribution to GT basketball.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I get that. You misunderstand me.

My point was that someone may have asserted that Hewitt had an expertise in "Building a Motion Offense"--he published a DVD with that title. Yet based on his results during his last years, I would dispute that expertise. So, if it's said that Eric developed an expertise but the evidence of its implementation for his team was decreased winning, I would question its value. As a stats guy, I don't just accept assertions of expertise as inherently valuable. I have to see evidence of their value. So, I'm not passing judgment one way or the other.

Still, my comment was not intended as that big of a point. It was more about my agnosticism than about him. I'm happy that he's got a positive reputation and look forward optimistically to his contribution to GT basketball.
It might be easier to implement this stuff as an assistant too.