Pastner Staff Thread

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
For what it's worth, when this assistant search started someone in the HS b'ball community told me almost verbatim:

"He needs to go HS coach if he wants local connections. Hire a guy with specific AAU ties and the other programs will black ball him. Take the route and not hire HS/AAU guy then he gets blackballed like Fox did when he was first hired."

The same person suggested White is the safest choice. So, that's one argument among a couple others that have me wanting White. It made sense with a blank slate and I don't know yet if there are implications with the two hires made.
That seems very reasonable as speculation.

I don't think hiring can simply be based on current connections to top recruits, that strikes me as poor strategy for long-term success. For example, see that guy CP hired at Memphis because all his sons are high major talents. It isn't like you can simply hire these guys, get the blue chip recruit, then fire that coach in a couple years to hire another well connected guy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Gonna ask again since no one really answered, and since some on here think Sharman White would be a slam dunk (and he may be): IF hes such a "no brainer" and brings everything we think GT needs (ties to local and possibly national talent, good recruiter...though this point is just conjecture, young guy with countless connections, etc.), why is he still coaching Miller Grove and not an assistant for another P5 program that could use exactly what we think GT needs. IF he's that good of a hire, programs with more resources than GT would have paid big $$$ for those kind of attributes.

And please, let's not say he was holding out for GT because he's been a fan his whole life. White is first and foremost an aspiring coach. If he had the opportunity to take a good P5 job, he would have by now.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Gonna ask again since no one really answered, and since some on here think Sharman White would be a slam dunk (and he may be): IF hes such a "no brainer" and brings everything we think GT needs (ties to local and possibly national talent, good recruiter...though this point is just conjecture, young guy with countless connections, etc.), why is he still coaching Miller Grove and not an assistant for another P5 program that could use exactly what we think GT needs. IF he's that good of a hire, programs with more resources than GT would have paid big $$$ for those kind of attributes.

And please, let's not say he was holding out for GT because he's been a fan his whole life. White is first and foremost an aspiring coach. If he had the opportunity to take a good P5 job, he would have by now.
I wonder the same i.e., I don't know. Your concerns could be valid.

Alternatively, it could be analogous to a Chris Mack/Gregg Marshall situation... improve your stock in a safe place and then maybe your next landing spot is nicer than it would have been 3-5 years ago.

I don't think he is a "no brainer". Just seems like a logically good fit even though there's always a risk. In this case for him it's the jump up with new responsibilities. The dynamics of the rest of the staff shaking out may influence things.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wonder the same i.e., I don't know. Your concerns could be valid.

Alternatively, it could be analogous to a Chris Mack/Gregg Marshall situation... improve your stock in a safe place and then maybe your next landing spot is nicer than it would have been 3-5 years ago.

I don't think he is a "no brainer". Just seems like a logically good fit even though there's always a risk. In this case for him it's the jump up with new responsibilities. The dynamics of the rest of the staff shaking out may influence things.

FTR...I have no clue about White (outside of the fact he's a great HS coach), or any coach on the HS level. I don't know him personally or do I have anything against him.

I'm just asking the question because his resume screams "Needs to be coaching in college somewhere" and he's openly campaigned for college jobs. For some reason he's still at Miller Grove and it makes me scratch my head.

Just like to hear what others have to say about Sharman White and why he's still coaching HS and not at a P5 program. Can't tell me he wouldn't have been a better hire than a coach CBG had last season ($$$...ahem).

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I don't think other jobs have the priority on Atl that we do.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
This is not shade per say but as someone who works at Redan High School I can say White recruits Dekalb very well. He's ability to fend off the private schools is very impressive. They have a good system and they coach it before they become varsity. Redan is just starting to do this with their new coach.
He aligned well with the AAU circuit too.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Is a homerun recruiting personality living in a city that produces 6-10 top 100 recruits annually

2017 is a stellar year for Atlanta HS recruits. Currently 8 kids in the Rivals 150. Got me thinking about whether 2017 is the norm or an outlier. The last 4 years (2013 - 2016) were not great years for Atlanta metro prospects. (8 top 100 guys across 4 years) If you look back over a ten year period, the data shows two things, I think

1) If you ignore 2013-15, Atlanta metro consistenly has 5 - 8 top 100 players. Most are in the 40 - 80 range. Clearly one of the most consistent metros for producing top 100 level recruits

2) The rankings are unbelievably poor predictors of future performance. MGH was #95 in his class? Really? Brogdon was 104? There are also scores of players whose hype never materialized into college production.

Atlanta metro players in top 100 (I used Rivals 150)
2008 -- 6
2009 -- 8
2010 -- 5
2011 -- 5 (incl M Brogdon at 104)
2012 -- 7 (incl MGH, Carter and C Mitchell)
2013 -- zero
2014 -- 1 (at #101 in Rivals 150)
2015 -- 3
2016 -- 4
2017 -- 8

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't think other jobs have the priority on Atl that we do.

Possibly...but GT basketball hasn't been squat for a while. Think of all the ACC/SEC programs that recruit in Atlanta (which is pretty much all of them). Hard to fathom schools from those conferences not wanting what we think White would bring. Let's also keep in mind, he's respected nationally given his appointment to coaching the Jordan Games more than once. We're talking about a pretty well known name on the HS level.

Like I said, would be ecstatic to have him, but still makes me scratch my head knowing he's not already coaching on this level.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
I hear the concerns but we shouldn't forget that the main calling card of Pastner is his recruiting ability (still have no idea how lol).

Without a staff he already convinced 2 of 3 previous recruits to stay, a top pg to name us in final 8, and multiple grad transfer interest. This guy knows how to recruit his area. I think White would be a wonderful addition but I'm not ready to get really angry if he doesn't get hired.

The two hires already are excellent additions.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
From reading the previous posts: I dare Pastner hiring guys we have not discussed on this thread! Who does he think he is! Anyhow?

C'mon, friend. I haven't read any unreasonable or insulting posts from those expressing disappointment. Rather, they have expressed their opinions and reasons for them.

Your decision to call them liars and assert that the real reason is because they weren't discussed here first sounds TO ME as arrogant, condescending, and rude.

There are people who post their opinions as fact without supporting data. I haven't seen that herr, though I ignore some.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
No. But now after seeing the way you try to twist words around I am suggesting you have female DNA.

Twist your words? What else could you mean about recruiting assassin? I mean, I didn't think you were the type of guy to claim a coach was a recruiting assassin before he ever recruited anyone anywhere. So who exactly has he recruited to prove he is a recruiting assassin?

Last month you were complaining about the HC hiring process. This month you are complaining about the assistant coach hiring process. You say I have female DNA, but you're the one that appears to be on a cycle.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
C'mon, friend. I haven't read any unreasonable or insulting posts from those expressing disappointment. Rather, they have expressed their opinions and reasons for them.

Your decision to call them liars and assert that the real reason is because they weren't discussed here first sounds TO ME as arrogant, condescending, and rude.

There are people who post their opinions as fact without supporting data. I haven't seen that herr, though I ignore some.
I took his comment as tic. Could be wrong.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You think he was on the west coast interviewing assistants before he hired the HC?

It was Larranaga.
We don't know what he was doing. I was musing that it would not be out of the ordinary for him to be checking background references for a lot of people. I am not pushing the idea that he talked to a lot of people to get the skinny on potential targets, I am just saying that is not an implausible scenario.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Possibly...but GT basketball hasn't been squat for a while. Think of all the ACC/SEC programs that recruit in Atlanta (which is pretty much all of them). Hard to fathom schools from those conferences not wanting what we think White would bring. Let's also keep in mind, he's respected nationally given his appointment to coaching the Jordan Games more than once. We're talking about a pretty well known name on the HS level.

Like I said, would be ecstatic to have him, but still makes me scratch my head knowing he's not already coaching on this level.
No one has offered a plausible answer yet to your question but I am still shuffling through this thread. I will be interested to see if someone answers this.