Pastner Staff Thread

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I dont have a problem with anyone we got (if those are the guys we get) especially Schrage, he was pulling big talent guys from the Midwest out to Stanford.

Its the guys we didn't get (Huff, White, either, both, whatever) that makes me aggravated.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Remembering back to my days of hiring and firing I recall that the person I hired was someone I felt I could work with and establish a close relationship.
I suspect this is the case with Pastner and his staff. The staff basically will be living together for a few years.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I just got a text from an "insider" that said the St. Francis coach got offered a job in the recruiting office and to be coach of the FCA team, with ability to move up. (I have no idea if it's true or not)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I just got a text from an "insider" that said the St. Francis coach got offered a job in the recruiting office and to be coach of the FCA team, with ability to move up. (I have no idea if it's true or not)
Bruce Evans, as director of player personnel handled on campus hosting of recruits, I believe, so unless it's that gig, I've got no idea what our GT hoops recruiting office is.

If Huff takes that gig, whatever it means, that would be great news.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
This is the list of coaches now on Ramblinwreck. Looks like all positions are open and can be assigned as needed.
I guess the question is how large a staff can Pastner have? How much money can he spend?
Josh Pastner - Head Coach
Mike Bewley - Strength and Conditioning Coach
Richard Stewart - Assistant Athletic Trainer
Erica Sheppard - Administrative Coordinator

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Labarrie is the only one confirmed.

RE Schrage - from the Stanford bio -
"Mike Schrage completed his eighth season, serving as the program's James C. Gaither Assistant Coach of Men's Basketball in 2015-16.
Schrage is responsible for coaching and scouting, in addition to serving as the team's recruiting coordinator. The Cardinal has continued to make significant strides off the court, with its recent recruiting classes ranking among the top-30 in the country."

Unless he is coming in as the #2 guy, this looks like a move across country for the same job.

Could it be Schrage, Labarrie and White? My problem is that I do not understand why not White. Can I get some help here?

I think it could be those 3. All have deep Atlanta roots. Mike Schrage is a head coach in the making. I could see him filling out top assistant role.
I have known the guy for years and he is a basketball junkie unlike anyone else I have ever known. I think he would relish this type of opportunity as well as the opportunity to come back home. His mindset is a great fit for Georgia Tech too. He is a grinder who knows what it takes to be successful and he does not let others opinions sway him easily.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Labarrie is the only one confirmed.

RE Schrage - from the Stanford bio -
"Mike Schrage completed his eighth season, serving as the program's James C. Gaither Assistant Coach of Men's Basketball in 2015-16.
Schrage is responsible for coaching and scouting, in addition to serving as the team's recruiting coordinator. The Cardinal has continued to make significant strides off the court, with its recent recruiting classes ranking among the top-30 in the country."

Unless he is coming in as the #2 guy, this looks like a move across country for the same job.

Could it be Schrage, Labarrie and White? My problem is that I do not understand why not White. Can I get some help here?

Schrage wasn't kept on Haase's staff.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
The best part of this hire is Reveno is apparently “a leader in the use of sports performance analysis technology.” About time we get someone with that mindset/background in GT's athletic dept. Anyone know if the bball program is keeping the sports psychologist around, or was that a Gregory thing?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Hmm....would be cool to find out that THAT was the west coast trip of a few weeks ago that everyone got wrong at the time. Maybe our AD really has been scheming for a year on how to put together this staff.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The best part of this hire is Reveno is apparently “a leader in the use of sports performance analysis technology.” About time we get someone with that mindset/background in GT's athletic dept. Anyone know if the bball program is keeping the sports psychologist around, or was that a Gregory thing?

I wonder if he was developing his expertise in sports performance analysis technology during the last several years while Portland's on-court performance was in decline.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if he was developing his expertise in sports performance analysis technology during the last several years while Portland's on-court performance was in decline.

There's an infinite number of variables that go into having a winning team. Sports performance analysis technology won't make or break a program.

Would you not agree that Eric Reveno having that expertise is better than Eric Reveno not having that expertise?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is what stood out to me:

Reveno gained a reputation for his recruiting ability and also for his development of Stanford’s post players, seven of whom went on to play in the NBA. He was a staff member at the renowned Pete Newell Big Man Camp for six years.

I have no idea if this guy is the good X's and O's coach to supplement Pastner, but his development of post players is a great thing. Lammers should be happy.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Hmm....would be cool to find out that THAT was the west coast trip of a few weeks ago that everyone got wrong at the time. Maybe our AD really has been scheming for a year on how to put together this staff.

You think he was on the west coast interviewing assistants before he hired the HC?

It was Larranaga.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
There's an infinite number of variables that go into having a winning team. Sports performance analysis technology won't make or break a program.

Would you not agree that Eric Reveno having that expertise is better than Eric Reveno not having that expertise?

I don't know. That's my point.