Pastner Staff Thread

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Staff is not complete and CPast has not had his first recruiting class, let alone his first season, and you have already concluded that his tenure is a failure. Wow.

My bourbon soaked brain successfully removed filter between brain and mouth last night, again.

I had kind of kept a lid on it in the public forum up to this point. Some of it got out last night.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My bourbon soaked brain successfully removed filter between brain and mouth last night, again.

I had kind of kept a lid on it in the public forum up to this point. Some of it got out last night.
You need to ease off on the bourbon. It makes you think we can be UK if we just get the perfect coach/staff/recruit.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Possibly...but GT basketball hasn't been squat for a while. Think of all the ACC/SEC programs that recruit in Atlanta (which is pretty much all of them). Hard to fathom schools from those conferences not wanting what we think White would bring. Let's also keep in mind, he's respected nationally given his appointment to coaching the Jordan Games more than once. We're talking about a pretty well known name on the HS level.

Like I said, would be ecstatic to have him, but still makes me scratch my head knowing he's not already coaching on this level.
I'll bite. I think bringing on a high school coach is tough to swallow for any college HC - and understandably so. They're totally different games/atmospheres. As a high school coach, most of the time you're a teacher that coaches for a few hours after school. In college, you're all basketball 24/7 - that could be a tough adjustment, and something a HC should definitely be concerned about.

But I think this is job in particular makes a ton of sense, with White having serious inroads to GA talent and the basketball scene as a whole. I would be weary of bringing in White if I were an out of state school, simply because I'd be worried about how he would adjust and adapt to a new area. None of that is necessary at Tech - he'd be able to stay in his own backyard and recruit talent he was already familiar with anyway.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
The whole HS coach to college assistant is a great topic. Seriously, someone should write a book. Would be fascinating.

Some very successful HS coaches turn down offers and stay in HS for decades. Morgan Wootten, Bob Hurley, Stu Vetter et al. They always point to their love of working with HS kids and influencing lives. Others make the leap to college. Sometimes they succeed and it becomes part of their lore ("Coach Jones started out coaching out Podunk High and now he has State U in the Final 4!") Sometimes they don't succeed and people like us say "see, they can't make the HS to college jump"

From the public statements, it looks like Coach White wants to try to move up to college. I have no clue whether he will be a success or not, but it would be interesting to see how it plays out if he does get an opportunity

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
C'mon, friend. I haven't read any unreasonable or insulting posts from those expressing disappointment. Rather, they have expressed their opinions and reasons for them.

Your decision to call them liars and assert that the real reason is because they weren't discussed here first sounds TO ME as arrogant, condescending, and rude.

There are people who post their opinions as fact without supporting data. I haven't seen that herr, though I ignore some.
It could also be TiC.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
I'll say this again because I think it's important...

For as much of a dweeb and strange hire this was, and for all of the strange quotes and stubbornness that we see from him, how could you say he hasn't done well so far?

We are in play for the player of the year in Illinois (that includes Chicago, btw), kept 2 of 3 previous recruits (while working on the third), have given offers to multiple 4/5* for 2017, and are in play for a few grad transfers. Not to mention bringing back a successful, former GT, assistant; an excellent Big man coach, former head coach (something he previously wouldn't have done); and getting to work quickly on rebuilding the program.

I was never really the biggest fan of this guy, but you have to give him credit for everything that he is done, and he's not even really started yet.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I'll say this again because I think it's important...

For as much of a dweeb and strange hire this was, and for all of the strange quotes and stubbornness that we see from him, how could you say he hasn't done well so far?

We are in play for the player of the year in Illinois (that includes Chicago, btw), kept 2 of 3 previous recruits (while working on the third), have given offers to multiple 4/5* for 2017, and are in play for a few grad transfers. Not to mention bringing back a successful, former GT, assistant; an excellent Big man coach, former head coach (something he previously wouldn't have done); and getting to work quickly on rebuilding the program.

I was never really the biggest fan of this guy, but you have to give him credit for everything that he is done, and he's not even really started yet.
I agree. I believe he will do well at GT and that he will determine his longevity in the job. (That doesn't mean he will not get my unsolicited advice.)

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Does that mean we may have told him "No Thank You"? I hope not...sighs

If we considered both him and Labarrie and determined Labarrie to be the better choice, I can't be too mad about that. Nice to be in the position actually picking and choosing for once, instead of just setting for whoever didn't turn us down. I am not in a position to really know whether White or Labarrie were the better choice, but am confident that CJP and MBob are in a better position than me to determine that. Would be nice to get him in a support position though, if possible.