Pastner cleared of Ron Bell lies

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Think about this...

LSU just spent more on their football locker room than what it will cost us to pay a new Coach if we fired Pastner.

Even if we could fire him for cause, which is not evident, where is that money coming from?

Ah, yer just a Pastner apologist!

(Am I doing it right?)

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I have read the AJC article 3 times and the more I read it, the more pissed I get at the dawg rag of a paper. Nothing new here, just another attempt to keep this issue on the front page. I quit the AJC 17 years ago and will not give them another penny. Sure, coach made a terrible mistake getting involved with this sleazeball, but it was a big lesson for him I believe. I stand by coach on this issue until facts arise that cause Tstan to withdraw Tech's support, and not because of some words by a supposedly investigative reporter being paid by the dawg loving AJC.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Like him or hate him, Mark Bradley's article posted today sure seems fair to me ---
https://www.ajc.com/blog/mark-bradl...re-trouble-than-worth/3reSKVPxLgCW68Mf2HgHFO/

I wouldn't quite say fair. It makes the same kinds of assumptions as the Judd article:
“I never let him in the locker room.” Really? Were those images Photoshopped?
As I said before, pictures of Bell in the locker room don't necessarily mean that Pastner let him in the locker room.

There are serious questions regarding Pastner and Bell. Why was this nutjob given as much access as he was? Why didn't Pastner see him as a stalker and liar? Still, with respect to misleading the NCAA in the investigation, Judd nor Bradley have anything that the NCAA didn't have before they published their notice of allegations. The NCAA did not accuse Pastner of "shading", only the AJC. If the full transcript were released, I could read through it to see if I agree with Judd's assessment. Until I can do that, or the NCAA accuses Pastner of misleading them, I am not going to believe Judd. Even if they do, I probably won't give much respect to a columnist who has devoted a considerable amount of his time and columns in the last few years to trying to get coaches fired.

Yeah, I can't read Bark's work. Based on the title though, I get the gist?

I think we all tend to recognize the juice hasn't been worth the squeeze at this point.
You should read it. IMO it's an objective article with some facts that don't even relate to Bell. Bradley says that he likes Pastner, but with all the baggage, real or not, he could be hurting Tech overall. I can't disagree with that.

crut

Helluva Engineer
I have a huge issue with us allowing Ron Bell to influence our perception of a man - who other than letting someone get too close to his program as a means of being compassionate - has done basically nothing wrong. There's something to be said for a community that stands up to this type of influence and doesn't let it affect them.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have a huge issue with us allowing Ron Bell to influence our perception of a man - who other than letting someone get too close to his program as a means of being compassionate - has done basically nothing wrong. There's something to be said for a community that stands up to this type of influence and doesn't let it affect them.
Look - I hear you but I didn't see much compassion for our players he threw under the bus in the NCAA interview. "They should have known better" was how he characterized their visit to Bell's house and gifts accepted. Really -- They are kids and probably should have know better but Pastner was the one that introduced them to Bell. Pastner, himself, didn't know better than to get involved with Bell either - or so he says. He also blamed the Parents on the illegal visit. These comments irritated me and seemed very self serving.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
What I find hard to believe is the idea that CJP really tried to convince the NCAA that Bell was nothing more than a normal fan. Wasn't his relationship with Bell publicly really well known? I mean, there were articles in the paper about how close they were before he ever left Memphis (LINK). Before this recent AJC article, was there a single member of this board that didn't already know that Josh gave Bell a lot of access to the team at both Tech and Memphis? The AJC article seems to think it is breaking that relationship as a "brand new" story.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
You should read it. IMO it's an objective article with some facts that don't even relate to Bell. Bradley says that he likes Pastner, but with all the baggage, real or not, he could be hurting Tech overall. I can't disagree with that.
Bark Madley is a Dawg in sheep's clothing. Beware!

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I wouldn't quite say fair. It makes the same kinds of assumptions as the Judd article:
As I said before, pictures of Bell in the locker room don't necessarily mean that Pastner let him in the locker room.

There are serious questions regarding Pastner and Bell. Why was this nutjob given as much access as he was? Why didn't Pastner see him as a stalker and liar? Still, with respect to misleading the NCAA in the investigation, Judd nor Bradley have anything that the NCAA didn't have before they published their notice of allegations. The NCAA did not accuse Pastner of "shading", only the AJC. If the full transcript were released, I could read through it to see if I agree with Judd's assessment. Until I can do that, or the NCAA accuses Pastner of misleading them, I am not going to believe Judd. Even if they do, I probably won't give much respect to a columnist who has devoted a considerable amount of his time and columns in the last few years to trying to get coaches fired.

More of the same old ****...Three articles in three days from the AJC, all in an attempt to bring heat on Pastner, all pretty much the same article. Pastner obviously pissed someone off up there.

Like Pastner or hate him, this **** is a bit absurd. The thing that is unfair about this article is that it doesn't even take into account the alternative. It's not like we would have a blank slate and open checkbook.

I agree, there were a lot of questions of why, but I don't think that Ron was as bat-**** crazy then, as he is now. At least he wasn't open about it. Do I think that he and Pastner had a closer relationship than he explained to the NCAA, yes and no.

I do think that Josh had known him for a while and had developed some sort of a relationship, but I also think that it was based upon the fact that he was viewed as a charity case from the start.

Last edited:
Bark Madley is a Dawg in sheep's clothing. Beware!

Regardless, it's still a good objective article. There's really nothing pro-mutt about this statement from the article: What does it say that Tech never had a chance at Anthony Edwards, the nation’s top recruit, of Holy Spirit Prep, which sits eight miles from McCamish? What does it say that Georgia, which hasn’t won an NCAA tournament game since 2002, landed the Ant-Man? (For the record, Tech offered a scholarship when he was a rising sophomore at Therrell High. It was told, “Not interested.”)

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't dislike Pastner. I can't decide if I like him either. I think I could if we didn't suck so badly. One thing I do know is that he's brought this entire situation on himself. He can't recruit for **** and the Bell thing isn't helping make that better. To my surprise he and his staff have actually been better gameday coaches than I expected. When he was hired I figured the recruiting was about to really pickup but had doubts he was capable of coaching them worth a damn.

There's no doubt that the AJC has it out for Tech however Bradley's article is spot on. Given our history of being made examples of by the NCAA I fully expect Tech basketball to have the book thrown at them when the penalties are announced. When that happens it will be nearly impossible to hire a good coach whenever Pastner is ultimately let go. Tech basketball has been in a decade long spiral down the drain that seems almost impossible to get out of. Just when we get the slightest glimmer of hope that the tide is turning (Pastners 1st season) we get smacked back to reality by the utter stupidity of the people in charge.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Regardless, it's still a good objective article. There's really nothing pro-mutt about this statement from the article: What does it say that Tech never had a chance at Anthony Edwards, the nation’s top recruit, of Holy Spirit Prep, which sits eight miles from McCamish? What does it say that Georgia, which hasn’t won an NCAA tournament game since 2002, landed the Ant-Man? (For the record, Tech offered a scholarship when he was a rising sophomore at Therrell High. It was told, “Not interested.”)
LOL! Like we recruited so well before he came to Tech. He needs the 5 years to prove himself without a lot of crap from our fans quoting the Dawg loving AJC.