Pastner cleared of Ron Bell lies

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Is this writer a dawg?

Judd is a Western Kentucky grad. His thing is investigative jounalism and he is held in high regard (Pulitzer nominated). Does mostly politics, but also has worked on sex scandals and the school cheating scandal. This article is really flimsy for someone on his level.

Still freshly annoyed with Pastner every time this mess gets brought up again, fair or unfair.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I said this elsewhere. The author conveniently used the term "shaded the truth". He never said Pastner lied.

In my opinion, he never said that because he couldn't outright prove it and if he published it as Pastner lying, he's basically committed libel and left himself open to litigation. What's one more lawsuit for Pastner right now?

This Ron Bell **** is annoying, but there's no purpose for it to remain in the news other than driving clicks and bad publicity.
Kinda ironic that he’s accusing Pastner of shading the truth, when that’s EXACTLY what he himself is doing in the article...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I looked him up. His last dozen or so stories are just some guy throwing rocks at stuff.

GT fans with a dwag obsession is always funny. Thank you for contributing that angle.

You're welcome. But don't take my comment and run that marathon.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
You're welcome. But don't take my comment and run that marathon.

tumblr_lex3s2CgQN1qe0eclo1_r9_500.gif

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
It is obvious I think this is a PR nightmare for recruiting just as top players are starting to pare their lists back, but I have to give credit that PJ Hall did announce us in his top 5 just after this dropped.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It is obvious I think this is a PR nightmare for recruiting just as top players are starting to pare their lists back, but I have to give credit that PJ Hall did announce us in his top 5 just after this dropped.

Just goes to show that it’s not a big thing with recruits as most think. He’s been dealing with this for more than a year. I don’t think it’s any more of challenge to overcome than our lack of post season relevance.

MWT89

Jolly Good Fellow
According to his LinkedIn page, Judd (the author) went to Western Kentucky so we may be able to rule out UGA bias.

My guess is he thinks he’s got some Pulitzer Prize-winning scoop.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
According to his LinkedIn page, Judd (the author) went to Western Kentucky so we may be able to rule out UGA bias.

My guess is he thinks he’s got some Pulitzer Prize-winning scoop.

I went to eastern Maine community college and the University of Maine at Orono. That doesn’t mean that if I wrote an article about the University of Georgia it wouldn’t have a negative Georgia slant to it.

MWT89

Jolly Good Fellow
I went to eastern Maine community college and the University of Maine at Orono. That doesn’t mean that if I wrote an article about the University of Georgia it wouldn’t have a negative Georgia slant to it.

True, but had he gone to Georgia's journalism school I'd be a lot more skeptical of his intentions.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Ayyyy my uncle is a prof there and have several Black Bear cousins. Parents have a summer place 30-45 minutes from Acadia so I am up that way (a lot less now sadly but headed up there next month for the first time in a couple years).

GTFLETCH

Banned
CJP is a liar...needs to be fired! Why he would think anyone would believe he had a "make-a-wish foundation relationship only with Bell" ....what a Moron! If the NCAA - which warned him to tell the truth - punishes him, we’re guessing that Georgia Tech would fire him for cause, thus avoiding his buyout!

Link
https://www.ajc.com/news/public-aff...tner-shaded-the-truth/94miknZIkRyFdxv71BpYjO/

Link
https://www.dukebasketballreport.co...chs-josh-pastner-possibly-in-big-trouble-ncaa

Link
https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/at...ll-full-story-in-ncaa-investigation/968591581

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Forget recruiting - forget our record. Just like I don't want Pitino coaching Ga Tech I also don't want a definite goof ball and possible slanter of the truth -I'm trying to be nice - coaching Ga Tech. He has proved already he is a goof ball by being associated with Bell. I absolutely do not go for the story of the "make a wish". It insults my intelligence.

You don't go for the story that a proven conman lied to get what he wanted? It's not just some off the cuff explanation. It is fairly important part of Pastner's lawsuit against Bell.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Even in a firing for cause situation (which this may not be. A negotiated settlement is probably our best case scenario), coaching transitions aren't cheap. If there are some big time hoops donors, by all means, I hope they step forward. Otherwise, we have no good options right now.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Even in a firing for cause situation (which this may not be. A negotiated settlement is probably our best case scenario), coaching transitions aren't cheap. If there are some big time hoops donors, by all means, I hope they step forward. Otherwise, we have no good options right now.

It's like we should have a separate thread, titled in all caps, with only this post in it, locked, and pinned to the top of the basketball forum.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
You don't go for the story that a proven conman lied to get what he wanted? It's not just some off the cuff explanation. It is fairly important part of Pastner's lawsuit against Bell.

I really don't know but the evidence makes it hard to believe that their relationship was limited to a normal "make a wish" relationship. The evidence suggests it went beyond that with the talk about potential recruits or transfers. So do some other aspects where they obviously spent time together. Plus the relationship went on for years and years.

So right now, I am very skeptical.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
This type of reaction is the reason that I think the AJC story is bad. The AJC writer didn't find new pictures of Bell in the locker room, they were available to the NCAA when Pastner made his comments. The AJC writer didn't find new video of Bell opening a package with a basketball, it was available to the NCAA when Pastner made his comments. The NCAA had access to everything in the entire article before they made decisions about what allegations to make. The only information that the AJC writer gained access to recently was the interview tapes. Since the NCAA conducted those interviews, they had access to them as soon as anyone.

There are things in this story that are bad for Pastner. Those things have been in the public for at least a year, and almost two for most of them. The dukebasketballreport article says that the AJC article is full of details. However, the details are along the lines of:
  • The NCAA didn't ask questions that this AJC writer wishes they did.
  • Pastner didn't fully explain situations that the NCAA didn't inquire about.
If those types of assertions are allowed to become "proof" that he wasn't truthful, then how about the following assertions:
  • NCAA investigators failed to ask a certain mutt running back about a Trans-Am.
  • NCAA investigators failed to ask Coach K about payments to Williamson.
  • NCAA investigators failed to ask Justin Fields how much money he was paid to sign with the mutts.
  • NCAA investigators failed to ask me if I violated the speed limit in the last week.
The NCAA not asking questions isn't "proof" that you misled them. Not explaining details that the NCAA doesn't ask about isn't "proof" that you misled them. Pictures of RB in a location that CJP said he didn't allow him to go aren't "proof" that CJP misled the investigators. Video of RB supposedly opening a package years ago isn't "proof" that CJP misled the investigators about how many packages he sent to RB.

The article could have pointed out the Bell pictures and video and questioned whether CJP told the truth. Instead the article listed those as falsehoods and mixed them with general "they didn't ask" type statements. If you want to find the truth, you look into actual questions and try to get the answers. If you want to write a hit piece, then you mix unanswered questions with general vague statements and hint at something untoward. Which way was this AJC article written?
#FakeNews

oh, wrong forum?