Pastner cleared of Ron Bell lies

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
No, that is why I don't understand why certain people (ahem..P36) keep banging that drum. He's my boy though, and I respect his opinion, but don't necessarily agree with it.

As we have discussed, it ain't like we got the funds to make a better, more effective hire. People should be rooting their asses off for Pastner to succeed on the court and on the recruiting trail.

Barring some infusion of $$, Winning and getting to the tournament is only way that things are going to get better.

I’d love to see him succeed. However, Nell and Geoff are making him look pretty bad

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
I am sure that is what you meant. But, I think this season is the one where Pastner has to succeed. The turmoil in the program due to Pastner's "friendship" with Ron Bell and the lack of a 2021 successful recruiting class would be the warning sign that Pastner is going to fail after year 5. My worry is that the NCAA cloud hanging over the program is seriously hurting our ability to recruit right now. That is not all on Pastner, but he is the HC and should be held accountable. If we are not cleared by the NCAA, and your scenario plays out, Pastner will not be here for year 5. TStan can see the cupboard empty as well as anyone.
NCAA cloud sure never hurt Kansas, LSU, Auburn, etc. The only school I remember being hurt recruiting wise by the potential scandal was Miami when the Addidas stuff 1st surfaced.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
NCAA cloud sure never hurt Kansas, LSU, Auburn, etc. The only school I remember being hurt recruiting wise by the potential scandal was Miami when the Addidas stuff 1st surfaced.

Compare their budgets to ours and let me know the outcome. Kansas is Kansas, just about all SEC schools have made a commitment to hoops. We haven’t.

Will Wade will eventually get his. It seemed that the coaching community (Mike Brey has been pretty outspoken) feel like he got off easy.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good for Coach Pastner. As mentioned he can concentrate solely on the basketball program and it clears one area of negative recruiting. Next big item is the meeting with GT an the NCAA on Aug 22. Hopefully we will know soon after that what, if any, penalties the NCAA puts on GT due to the strip club visit.

Bell and Pendley still have legal work ahead of them. I'll let Brandon weigh in on this but my expectation would be that at some point there will be a deal with the local prosecutor over all the criminal charges where they plead guilty to a handful of them and the rest get dismissed to minimize jail time. I doubt the DA wants to spend the time and effort to prosecute them through a jury trial on all those charges if he can just get guilty verdicts on a handful of them. Much cheaper for the citizens of the county.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Good for Coach Pastner. As mentioned he can concentrate solely on the basketball program and it clears one area of negative recruiting. Next big item is the meeting with GT an the NCAA on Aug 22. Hopefully we will know soon after that what, if any, penalties the NCAA puts on GT due to the strip club visit.

Bell and Pendley still have legal work ahead of them. I'll let Brandon weigh in on this but my expectation would be that at some point there will be a deal with the local prosecutor over all the criminal charges where they plead guilty to a handful of them and the rest get dismissed to minimize jail time. I doubt the DA wants to spend the time and effort to prosecute them through a jury trial on all those charges if he can just get guilty verdicts on a handful of them. Much cheaper for the citizens of the county.

It'd be nice if they could ban Bon Rell from twitter as well.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
{ajc reads the release}

Headline ...

"I mean, sure the cases were dropped and B***'s lies were all but shown to be just that, but did Pastner really prove his innocence?"

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here is link to CJP lawyer's full press release:

https://tucson.com/pastner-settlement-press-release/pdf_fac2ed96-b964-11e9-afb8-4b7963f0a991.html

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

I'm looking forward to Brandon's take on all of this.
I'm sure he's a little disappointed that this isn't going to trial as it appears as though B&P would have been absolutely destroyed by Pastner's atttoneys, but it makes sense for all of it to just be dismissed since B&P have nothing of value to take as judgement. Given the PR i'm assuming part of the agreement between the parties was likely the ability of the attorney to write the release to show how Pastner was wronged and exonerated.

Don't worry, AJC will eventually put this story on page Q27 of some future newspaper. They have nothing on it yet on their website.

slugboy

Staff member
Yeah me too. But the constant flow of garbage is still reaching someone somewhere.

If a “shut your trap about GT and anyone affiliated” isn’t part of the agreement for RB and his girlfriend to the extent that we don’t have to worry about this any longer, then our lawyers haven’t done their jobs.

I could not tell whether that was the case from the press release

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If a “shut your trap about GT and anyone affiliated” isn’t part of the agreement for RB and his girlfriend to the extent that we don’t have to worry about this any longer, then our lawyers haven’t done their jobs.

I could not tell whether that was the case from the press release

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Even if that language is in the agreement it does not stop that guy from saying or doing whatever. CJP and his lawyers would have to reopen the lawsuit or ask the court in AZ to step in.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Compare their budgets to ours and let me know the outcome. Kansas is Kansas, just about all SEC schools have made a commitment to hoops. We haven’t.

Will Wade will eventually get his. It seemed that the coaching community (Mike Brey has been pretty outspoken) feel like he got off easy.
I hope Wade gets his. I will believe it when I see it. I just don't trust the NCAA to ever do the right thing.

Yes the biggest thing holding back GT hoops is money. Hope that changes one day, but not sure it ever will.