Pastner cleared of Ron Bell lies

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Hard to tell if the slant the article uses that Pastner tried to hide/shade things is legit or not. Regardless - 2 things are reasonably clear to me

1) Stansbury won't want to hire a new BB coach right now even if he could fire CJP for cause. He can't get the level of coach the program really needs for 2 more years until the ACC Network and a few other things kick in (reference GT finance article the other day)

2) This article is dropping at a crucial time for recruiting. Regardless of what you or I may think of the validity of this article, most high end recruits are not going to spend the time it takes to really parse through the article or the whole situation. They have other easier and arguably better options. This really feeds the perception that CJP won't be here long term.

Painting this as GT Basketball Herpes that won't go away ain't far from the truth. :(

slugboy

Staff member
2) This article is dropping at a crucial time for recruiting. Regardless of what you or I may think of the validity of this article, most high end recruits are not going to spend the time it takes to really parse through the article or the whole situation. They have other easier and arguably better options. This really feeds the perception that CJP won't be here long term.

:(

Basketball recruiting seems to go on 365 days a year. Possibly the one day that’s less critical is the day after signing day, and we were recruiting then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

I think you are overestimating the reach of this article. I doubt many recruits bother to read it, and those that are interested in us can just ask the coaching staff about the situation.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
I think you are overestimating the reach of this article. I doubt many recruits bother to read it, and those that are interested in us can just ask the coaching staff about the situation.

It's hard for me to believe that opposing coaches aren't using this against us on the recruiting trail. Or at least that's what I tell myself to feel better about all the 2nd place finishes.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It's hard for me to believe that opposing coaches aren't using this against us on the recruiting trail. Or at least that's what I tell myself to feel better about all the 2nd place finishes.

I'm sure about the general situation they are. I don't think this article changes things in the slightest though.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
On the one hand, Judd seems to be on a witch hunt with Pastner.

On the other, not losing any sleep if Pastner gets fired for cause.
If Pastner were to be fired what could we even pay a new coach? Would it be a league low 1 mil?

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Not a good look for Pastner. It’s a shame we don’t have funds for a replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
At least it hasn't shown up on ESPN.com, so it might just be a dawg fan wanting to remind the public of the situation.

Or I could be wrong...
GIFs2019619103132.gif

bos

Helluva Engineer
Easy recruiting against Pastner when you can just point these article out to the recruits/parents. This is all on Pastner. I can see beyond losing games, but tarnishing the program with this Ron Bell stuff is idiotic. The team is handcuffed now financially so we'll just have to wait 2 more years when it's less costly to replace him.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

I think you would be surprised at the recruits who have a view of CJP due to the record and the number or articles out there already. It is a hard ask to get them to look at Red's analysis that says CJP has at least 2 more years or that all this Ron Bell nonsense is indeed nonsense. I know one 4 star prospect personally who isn't going to do it despite my personal relationship with him and the family and my repeated trying to get them to do that. These guys have lots of really good options and they are looking for easy reasons to knock someone out as it makes their decision process a lot easier. Net net, regardless of whether the NCAA eventually goes after CJP (which is doubtful), this is IMHO a big deal for recruiting - especially a couple of weeks from decisions about official visits.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
If Pastner were to be fired what could we even pay a new coach? Would it be a league low 1 mil?

Yeah, just promote Reveno, bump him up to a mil, hit up some donors and hit the market next year.

Not that any of this will happen. He probably survives.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I would spend a lot of money the day Pitino were hired. Half of it on a GTAA donation and half of it on a bottle of champagne.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I think you would be surprised at the recruits who have a view of CJP due to the record and the number or articles out there already. It is a hard ask to get them to look at Red's analysis that says CJP has at least 2 more years or that all this Ron Bell nonsense is indeed nonsense. I know one 4 star prospect personally who isn't going to do it despite my personal relationship with him and the family and my repeated trying to get them to do that. These guys have lots of really good options and they are looking for easy reasons to knock someone out as it makes their decision process a lot easier. Net net, regardless of whether the NCAA eventually goes after CJP (which is doubtful), this is IMHO a big deal for recruiting - especially a couple of weeks from decisions about official visits.

The record thing is it's own beast but that situation was going to be the case regardless. That's something that is a side effect of the position gregory left us in.

This thing with the NCAA was an issue before and this new article doesn't change anything in the slightest. It isn't new information and coaches were already going to point to the issue before this article came out. This isn't some hot topic breaking news. Recruits, like the one you know, who were going to eliminate us based on a surface view of this situation likely already have done so. Others, who were willing to look deeper likely won't change based on this article if they are aware of it coming out at all. My point isn't that the NCAA situation isn't an issue. My point is this article doesn't change anything.

The good thing is that one 4* recruit doesn't represent all recruits. We had all these issues last year and our problem wasn't having chances at guys. We had plenty of targets on campus and reportedly were late favorites for a number of them. If we are in a similar situation this year, a better on the court year will probably yield different results. In addition we don't have to land a huge class. We basically need two good recruits and we'll be fine.