Pass more?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Sweet baby Jesus you can’t in good conscience root for uga to beat Bama in the title game. The CFB media (by which I mean ESPN, mostly, because they flat out set the agenda) would absolutely play up the narrative that uga just overlooked us, and the win over Bama is just proof that they belong in the playoffs...and also that Bama is the best 1 loss team so they’re in too.

You can't, in good conscience, root for uga...ever.

Sparkybob

Georgia Tech Fan
it's biggest victory was over the nation's #48 ranked team and we're now behind Duke and PITT in the Coastal, both of whom have figured it out. Running a ton of QB keepers isn't terribly complicated. Completing passes seems to be though.

That's OK - I know many GT fans are thrilled with 7 win seasons. IIWII.
FYI GT is going to finish ahead of Duke this year.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Just out of curiosity, I looked at Ricky Dobbs's 2010 season at Navy. He threw an average of ~12 passes a game and ended up with 74 out of 135 completed (54%) for 1380 yards and 12 TDs with 5 interceptions. I think if you asked Coach what he would like his QBs to do he'd say, "Throw and run like Ricky." One caveat: that was the year they finally beat Notre Dame. They threw 2 passes in that game.

Sad story = apparently, Dobbs would have come to Tech if Coach had asked him to. He didn't. My guess is that he thought he had what he needed in Nesbitt and wanted to leave Ken something.

We've won 7 games under Paul Johnson 2 times in 10 years. 0 times in the last 5 years.
We won 7 games under Chan Gailey 5 times in 7 years.

The Paul Johnson era can be described as a lot of things... but a 7 win era is not one. Please come up with a new argument because that one is bogus.

who said anything about era? Where did I ever say anything about Era? Either point out where I did or retract that.

Do you think no one will be happy with 2018 if we lose to the godforsaken mutts?

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
FYI Duke has defeated us 4 of the last 5 games.

What is wrong with you? The team and coach made a great turn around from what could have been a disaster of a year and all you ever post negative crap. We have a chance for 9 wins this year. (8 more realistically) No one saw that coming at 1 - 3.

Your like a soggy hotdog bun at a bratwurst party.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
it's biggest victory was over the nation's #48 ranked team and we're now behind Duke and PITT in the Coastal, both of whom have figured it out. Running a ton of QB keepers isn't terribly complicated. Completing passes seems to be though.

That's OK - I know many GT fans are thrilled with 7 win seasons. IIWII.

Please name a single person you have seen on this board say they are happy with 7 wins. Then quote their comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Not to quibble (so here goes a quibble), but there were three sacks totaling 24 yards lost. You might have misinterpreted yards lost on QB keepers as sacks. There were a number of those. Not counting the sacks against the rushing total, we rushed for 170 yards on 57 carries, or 3.0 yards per carry. I don't know whether the fumble into the end zone counts as yards lost (I don't think so), and at any rate is hardly a reason not to throw the ball.

The fumble counted as yards lost to qua. qua had liek 3 yards one 3 carries but a long of 30.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The triple option of GT negativity:
1) You’re settling for mediocrity
2) Our High School Offense prevents us from getting 4 & 5 star recruits
3) Everybody knows not to go for it on 4th down

I wish those posters would at least use some critical thinking when it comes to criticizing the offense.

Here is my biggest critique:
I think playing to limit possessions is bad when we play equal and lesser teams. If we are scoring TD's on 40% of our drives then we have a 12% chance of not scoring a td in 4 straight possessions. In an 8 possession game, that is potentially an entire half without a td. In my opinion, decreasing possession increases our variance. If we are equal/better than our opponents I believe we should be trying to decrease variance. Against a clemson/UGA, having a lucky streak could break the game for us, so it makes sense there to increase variance.

So if a poster said, "Passing more or using uptempo could be used to increase our possessions count and give our offense a better chance to score more points. If our offense is really meant to be our strong suit, then we should be trying to have them score as much as they can." At least the opinion uses facts to support an opinion.

Sadly, the negative posters give zero thought in their posts and just say "we can't win without throwing" which is an objectively false statement. I would love to read actual thought out comments on why people things don't work and how they think things could be better. Lamenting on how "40 keepers don't win games" is just ignorant posters whining.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I wish those posters would at least use some critical thinking when it comes to criticizing the offense.

Here is my biggest critique:
I think playing to limit possessions is bad when we play equal and lesser teams. If we are scoring TD's on 40% of our drives then we have a 12% chance of not scoring a td in 4 straight possessions. In an 8 possession game, that is potentially an entire half without a td. In my opinion, decreasing possession increases our variance. If we are equal/better than our opponents I believe we should be trying to decrease variance. Against a clemson/UGA, having a lucky streak could break the game for us, so it makes sense there to increase variance.

So if a poster said, "Passing more or using uptempo could be used to increase our possessions count and give our offense a better chance to score more points. If our offense is really meant to be our strong suit, then we should be trying to have them score as much as they can." At least the opinion uses facts to support an opinion.

Sadly, the negative posters give zero thought in their posts and just say "we can't win without throwing" which is an objectively false statement. I would love to read actual thought out comments on why people things don't work and how they think things could be better. Lamenting on how "40 keepers don't win games" is just ignorant posters whining.
This is a really interesting concept. We do have sort of a hold serve, break serve type of game plan right now.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Please name a single person you have seen on this board say they are happy with 7 wins. Then quote their comment.

Well....I’m happy we’ve gotten to 7 now after our horrible start. But I’m disappointed we could have but didn’t get to 9 already. I probably count to bozo as someone who’s happy with 7 wins.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
This is a really interesting concept. We do have sort of a hold serve, break serve type of game plan right now.

When we had guys like Dwyer and BeyBey, we were top 10 in the country in big plays. We ran the same plays, but they often broke for long TDs instead of 20 yards. Need more game changers like that. Maybe Benson next year?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
When we had guys like Dwyer and BeyBey, we were top 10 in the country in big plays. We ran the same plays, but they often broke for long TDs instead of 20 yards. Need more game changers like that. Maybe Benson next year?

If we can’t connect on the big pass plays it’s a lot easier to stop all of our big plays.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Well....I’m happy we’ve gotten to 7 now after our horrible start. But I’m disappointed we could have but didn’t get to 9 already. I probably count to bozo as someone who’s happy with 7 wins.

“Happy we have gotten” is the key here. We still have two more games to try to pick up more wins.

I would also suspect you’re not happy with consistent 7 win seasons nor see that as a reasonable ceiling to shoot for.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
The ACC ( and most conferences ) have changed and always will. Duke , BC , Wake and Syracuse used to be " guaranteed " wins for many other teams in the conference. Currently UNC , UL , FSU and VT are somewhat down relative to past success. The point is , our record is not just determined by the strength our our team , but the strength of other teams that we play. To just compare won/loss records between two coaches is not a complete analysis.
We have remained remarkably consistent over the last 15 years or so regardless of coaches and competition, however