Pass more?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Loserville is a P5 team (at least, in name) so that game was a pretty big stat boost.

VPI is historically bad and likely will miss a bowl game for the first time since forever. They were beat up and young when we blew them out. Plus, CPJ owns Fuentes.

The points vs d'oh U were greatly influenced by laughable Cane TOs which gave us short field TDs, rather than our below-average 53/241 rushing yards. A solid win nonetheless.

We absolutely didn't blow the doors off UVA. I was there and watched every play. The Cadavers did a pretty good job of stifling us. However we had a lot of great 2nd-effort yardage by the B-backs and some creative runs by the QBs plus The Catch by Stewart to get us a needed, deserved victory. Plus, amazing ST.

I think the Duke and PITT games were more of what we saw yesterday rather than statistical aberrations.

To have another 2014, we need to throw it like we did in 2014 rather than like we did in 2018. The QB Keeper offense of this year is a 7-win offense, at best.

You ignored the data to share your feelings. You are right that our offense did not do as well against d'oh U and uva. However, you have to compare how we did compared to how other teams have done. That's what my data did which you ignored.

I appreciate your passion if not your opinion.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
You ignored the data to share your feelings. You are right that our offense did not do as well against d'oh U and uva. However, you have to compare how we did compared to how other teams have done. That's what my data did which you ignored.

I appreciate your passion if not your opinion.
So far he has ignored ever comment regarding stats, so he can discuss how he feels. I should have realized I shouldn't take him seriously when he kept calling us a "QB keeper offense".

We performed better on offense against UVA then they were previously averaging. That certainly doesn't mean we were "good", but it does indicate that we did enough offensively to keep us in the game. I would much prefer a well rounded team then one where our offense has to outscore every opponent for a chance to win. If our defense can ever put together four quarters we are going to start looking real good.

slugboy

Staff member
No such thing as eligible tackles. You could line up WRs in tight like that and use them as edge blockers on zone running plays ... wait a second ...

Yeah, or you could slap eligible numbers on two guys like Parker Braun and split them out wide. Maybe even throw them a pass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Key play that could’ve given us a huge boost that didn’t: The Aback reverse to Quay should have scored if not for a hand that barely tripped him up. I think that was the drive that stalled on 4th down so we ended up getting zero points that time.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Key play that could’ve given us a huge boost that didn’t: The Aback reverse to Quay should have scored if not for a hand that barely tripped him up. I think that was the drive that stalled on 4th down so we ended up getting zero points that time.

Toe tackles have robbed us of a bunch of TD runs this year. About a dozen just off the top of my head.

slugboy

Staff member
There’s passing more, and there’s also using your wide receivers as a feature weapon. I’d like to see us feature our receivers more.

They don’t all have to be deep passes. UVA threw a couple of passes 4-5 yards deep to Reed and let him use his size and strength against the corners. He made a few people miss too. USF did the same with their big, fast wideout.

We’ve got big wideouts in Stewart, Camp, and Dolphus. I’m sure they’d like to hit other players when they have the ball as much or more than when they don’t. They should be able to be the same threat that Reed is. I’m sure that Cottrell and Searcy and other A backs would like to get outside even faster and beat players 1:1, so there isn’t a shortage of good players we can use in the passing game.

I’m not sure what the range would need to be, but I remember bubble screens to BeBe.

(Copied from thread. Tapatalk is mixing up titles)

midga fan

Georgia Tech Fan
NC State threw 53 times, rushed 27 and still only scored 23 points against Wake. Maybe if they'd thrown it a little more they'd have scored more :rolleyes:
Iowa passed 41, rushed 22 and scored 10 against Northwestern :rolleyes:
Kentucky passed 38, rushed 35 (there is the balance you want) and scored 7 against Tennessee :rolleyes:
Miss St passes 20, rushed 30 and scored 0. :rolleyes:

Keep saying things that have no basis on reality though. It is obviously only our offense that can be shut down.

Are there offenses that utilize high volume of passes efficiently? Yes of course! Is being efficient per pass important for us? Of course! Do we need to throw more to win? No, and it's a dumb argument to suggest "more passes = better performing offense" unconditionally. As displayed above, balanced offenses have bad days too, so why is this a problem with our scheme specifically?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Maybe. But I’ve seen coach run this O for a very long time. I’m pretty convinced he typically likes to throw it more than we have this year or last. I think there is a reason we haven’t.
Yes CPJ will only call the plays his QB can do, I have heard him say he has a set of plays for each QB. Now it would be nice to have a QB that could run all the plays :)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Maybe. But I’ve seen coach run this O for a very long time. I’m pretty convinced he typically likes to throw it more than we have this year or last. I think there is a reason we haven’t.

We've won the last four games while we completed 6 passes, aggregate. We're going to have to complete more than that in Sanford Stadium to have a chance.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
If the pass is there and is working, then sure. But if you look at the good teams we have played this year, TQM was 6 of 15 vs Pitt, 1 of 6 vs Clemson, and 1 of 8 vs. Virginia. He was 2 for 9 vs uga last year.

I just don't see it as a viable strategy, personally, to think we will do better at the thing we are worst at...against the best team we'll face.

But you never know. College ball can be crazy.

I really think our best bet would be a game like the Miami game. 3 of 4, all big completions downfield.