Pass more?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Respectfully, my argument is not nor has ever been to "Fire CPJ". Even when we were 1-3, I wasn't saying we need to change coaches.

I think being good at something comes with repetition so by passing it more, we'd be 'better at passing' . :D
I know you were not talking to me. Being bored I looked back at 10 pages of your posts and I could NOT find one place you said CPJ should be fired. numerous time you said we need to open up and pass more would like to see us use the shotgun ( Which most would agree) until we have a game like Louisville and they can't stop granny. Reading I did take it as you were not happy with out offense but still did not see you say we need to fired CPJ. Not being happy about the offense or defense does NOT make anyone a bad fan. You seem to be one who will not be happy winning on 7 or 8 games a year which I don't think many would be. But after starting out the season 1-3 I am happy with the last 7 games. But I did NOT see anywhere you said CPJ should be fired. I guess I would be one who thought you did by reading things and making an assumption, Or reading things you did not say and thinking I knew what you said but didn't. I know I need to do better reading only what someone has said and not adding what I thought they meant.

I know you were not talking to me. Being bored I looked back at 10 pages of your posts and I could NOT find one place you said CPJ should be fired. numerous time you said we need to open up and pass more would like to see us use the shotgun ( Which most would agree) until we have a game like Louisville and they can't stop granny. Reading I did take it as you were not happy with out offense but still did not see you say we need to fired CPJ. Not being happy about the offense or defense does NOT make anyone a bad fan. You seem to be one who will not be happy winning on 7 or 8 games a year which I don't think many would be. But after starting out the season 1-3 I am happy with the last 7 games. But I did NOT see anywhere you said CPJ should be fired. I guess I would be one who thought you did by reading things and making an assumption, Or reading things you did not say and thinking I knew what you said but didn't. I know I need to do better reading only what someone has said and not adding what I thought they meant.

Thank you, STech81. You are both a gentleman and a scholar. We both want the same thing for our team, which in the immediate future is an ***-whooping of the ****ing uga mutts. So let's drink to that - have a Happy Thanksgiving, sir. :beercheers:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Respectfully, my argument is not nor has ever been to "Fire CPJ". Even when we were 1-3, I wasn't saying we need to change coaches.

I think being good at something comes with repetition so by passing it more, we'd be 'better at passing' . :D

In the Paul Johnson Time Frame thread, @TheSilasSonRising posted:
IF things keep going as is (in game management, lackluster recruiting, certain aspects of the game totally underperforming, etc.) how can GT NOT afford to make a change.

I don't see CPJ, for whatever reason, being able to change the things going wrong.

If he could, he would have done some things different by now.

We can not afford, in every way, to be in this position next year.

Much less in 2022.

To this post, you replied:
Agreed - I think it's a rather-large red flag that, some 10 years in under CPJ, we are still sooo bad fundamentally. Throwing the ball, catching the ball, blocking people, tackling people, making PATs....these are football basics. Forget things like "Don't run fake-punts in the 1st qtr from your own 27 yd line with a 270# DE trying to get 8 yards". We're dreadful with the basics, which is a failure of coaching.

When you agree with someone who says, "how can GT NOT afford to make a change," you are agreeing that he needs to be Fired. That's just a fact. When you then make an additional 84 posts in that thread which were largely critical of CPJ, one can reasonably infer that they were intended to support the claim (that is to argue) that CPJ should be fired.

In the Paul Johnson Time Frame thread, @TheSilasSonRising posted:

To this post, you replied:

When you agree with someone who says, "how can GT NOT afford to make a change," you are agreeing that he needs to be Fired. That's just a fact. When you then make an additional 84 posts in that thread which were largely critical of CPJ, one can reasonably infer that they were intended to support the claim (that is to argue) that CPJ should be fired.

Or one can reasonably infer, from the actual quote itself, that we were observed to be performing poorly in regards to fundamentals and that such a performance was indeed a failure of coaching...and that I took the time to type that out.

Given that CPJ blamed himself and the staff repeatedly for this in post-game interviews without CPJ calling for his own firing, it can be inferred that's what I was doing too. Fact is, I've not called for the guy's firing no matter how hard you try to spin and imply otherwise. Am I a fan of the guy's offense and recruiting? Nope - but that's not the accusation.

Your obsession with me is noted though (and a bit creepy). The fact that you took the time to count the # of posts I made in a thread is quite indicative of how little-else you must have going on in your life. Trust me when I say that I absolutely am NOT spending any amount of time whatsoever on your posting history! Suggestion: Take a break and enjoy some time with your family on Thanksgiving. It's a better way to spend your time than counting my posts here or elsewhere.

Then on Saturday, as you count the # of words in this response (or whatever), know that I'm watching the game and yelling "THWG" at every opportunity. **** the dwags!!

Pitt isn’t an acronym, where the letters are capitalized as they’re each the first letter of their own word, but an abbreviation of a longer word, therefore there is no reason to capitalize the whole thing. It’s not PITTsburgh, it’s Pittsburgh.
And I have no clue what ranking you’re working with (I looked at “power ranking”, the only list I found that goes down that far), but both Pitt and Duke are LOWER than us, with us 36, Duke 39, UVA 47, and Pitt 48. Flip our Duke game to a loss for them and yeah they probably drop below that level. So you’re still just whining that we didn’t beat Clemson.
Congrats

Abbreviation - whatever. I will definitely continue to type PITT, esp. since it appears to trigger some people here.

I refer to here https://www.teamrankings.com/ncf/
and here https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-130-college-football-teams
as there isn't an AP ranking for teams outside of #25. UVA was 48th last week before we played 'em.

Not sure why you refer to PITT and Duke, since we lost to both teams?

No one whines about losing to Clemson anymore, sadly. "It Is What Is Is" has settled over the program and people now just expect losing to them. Fairly indicative of the state of things.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Or one can reasonably infer, from the actual quote itself, that we were observed to be performing poorly in regards to fundamentals and that such a performance was indeed a failure of coaching...and that I took the time to type that out.

Given that CPJ blamed himself and the staff repeatedly for this in post-game interviews without CPJ calling for his own firing, it can be inferred that's what I was doing too. Fact is, I've not called for the guy's firing no matter how hard you try to spin and imply otherwise. Am I a fan of the guy's offense and recruiting? Nope - but that's not the accusation.

Your obsession with me is noted though (and a bit creepy). The fact that you took the time to count the # of posts I made in a thread is quite indicative of how little-else you must have going on in your life. Trust me when I say that I absolutely am NOT spending any amount of time whatsoever on your posting history! Suggestion: Take a break and enjoy some time with your family on Thanksgiving. It's a better way to spend your time than counting my posts here or elsewhere.

Then on Saturday, as you count the # of words in this response (or whatever), know that I'm watching the game and yelling "THWG" at every opportunity. **** the dwags!!

Deflect from your "Agreed" and then make personal attack.

Whatever dude

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
100% of my body of work is based upon facts. Things like "The highest ranked team we beat in 2018 so far was UVA at #48" is fact. "We've lost 4 of 5 to Duke" is fact. "VPI is historically bad" is factual - they're headed for their first losing season in almost 3 decades.

If people get to hurl invectives at me first, I see no reason to take the high road in response. But 100% of the time, the defenders of CPJ are the first to go there. It's an interesting observation: A lot of people here get VERY triggered by any suggestion that there's anything wrong with the scheme we run regardless of losses to teams of equal-or-lesser talent like Duke and PITT.

I have given 100% credit to CPJ for turning around our 1-3 start though. I don't hate the guy, have not advocated his firing, and have only suggested a shotgun formation for the possible-generational talent of James Graham, since that's where the kid did most of his damage in HS.

People have different standards and expectations for success and Tech fans aren't different from that. Personally, though the 6-1 finish has been nice, to not win the Coastal this year is pretty lame considering that we absolutely should have. Apparently that belief makes me some sort of Bad Guy. Whatever.

It doesn't matter now though. What does is beating the ****ing mutts on Saturday. If we can pull that off and ruin those *******s' season, I'd consider 2018 a success.

Just how much do you like 100%? I’m gonna go ahead and guess you like it...100% :LOL:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Why cant we just hit the quick AB pass in the flats???
Rocket toss does the same thing but gets the ball in his hands sooner.

I wonder where the smoke route has gone? That should be an automatic 5 with the chance to go to the house if you make one guy miss. I’d love to see us put Juanyeh on O for one play, this play.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Rocket toss does the same thing but gets the ball in his hands sooner.

I wonder where the smoke route has gone? That should be an automatic 5 with the chance to go to the house if you make one guy miss. I’d love to see us put Juanyeh on O for one play, this play.

We haven’t really had a very effective smoke route since Nesbitt left. I remember he was very good at getting the ball out to the WR quickly, before the corner had a chance to react. It seems all the QBs we’ve had since have all kind of floated it out to the WR, giving the CB way too much time to close the gap and make a play. For it to be effective, the WR needs a little bit of space to make that first move.

slugboy

Staff member
We haven’t really had a very effective smoke route since Nesbitt left. I remember he was very good at getting the ball out to the WR quickly, before the corner had a chance to react. It seems all the QBs we’ve had since have all kind of floated it out to the WR, giving the CB way too much time to close the gap and make a play. For it to be effective, the WR needs a little bit of space to make that first move.

Same with an A back screen when we split them out (I don’t think we’ve run that this year). The ball just takes too long to get out there.

Do we run a WR fly where the A Back comes into the flat behind them? Either that’s man, and the A Back is open, or its zone and the WR is at least open 15 yards deep.

I’d like to see an RPO on a rocket toss. WR runs a fly, and if the C.B. follows you toss it. If the C.B. reads the toss you throw it over his head. Probably missing something here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Same with an A back screen when we split them out (I don’t think we’ve run that this year). The ball just takes too long to get out there.

Do we run a WR fly where the A Back comes into the flat behind them? Either that’s man, and the A Back is open, or its zone and the WR is at least open 15 yards deep.

I’d like to see an RPO on a rocket toss. WR runs a fly, and if the C.B. follows you toss it. If the C.B. reads the toss you throw it over his head. Probably missing something here

The current issue would be footwork.

The qb opens up to the non play side, rotates and throws playside. With how the qb performs the toss, I don't see a way for him to read a corner.

slugboy

Staff member
The current issue would be footwork.

The qb opens up to the non play side, rotates and throws playside. With how the qb performs the toss, I don't see a way for him to read a corner.

You could flair pass instead of rocket toss—about the same distance but traditional passing stance.

Unk T

Georgia Tech Fan
Let me change this discussion a little. A few times last week PJ called some pass plays not on 3rd and long. I just knew we were fixing to see a nice gain and maybe change how they were playing our running game. The protection was good enough to get the pass off in rhythm, but Taquon didn't throw it. I can only assume that even with one man coverage, our receivers didn't have the speed or moves to work free. Is that the main reason why PJ continues to try variations in the run game this year instead of more passes even when the defense dictates the pass?

I have seen on many occasions where there was someone wide open and TM wouldn't throw it or throw it to someone else. The problem was not with the receivers.

Example... Lynch had 763 yards receiving his first two years and 252 yards receiving in his last 2 years. He didn't suddenly forget how to get open.