Pass more?

You have to be kidding historically bad?

What do you call historically bad ?
here is their past seasons
https://virginiatech.sportswar.com/vt-football/past-football-seasons/

Bad this year yes historically bad , no. Everyone on here knows you HATE CPJ but it does get old after awhile.

Historically bad, YES- as in First Losing Season in 26 years. That's Historically Bad. I know it gets CPJ an extension but believe it or not, going 5-6 (VPI's best possible record) sucks for most fans.

By "Everyone", are you referring to the numerous people that Like many of my posts? Or just the Scheme-First, School-Second Johnsonians who love the same 7-win seasons and lower-tier bowlgames that got Gailey deservedly fired?

We all know you love CPJ more than the school but embracing mediocrity gets old after awhile.

You ignored the data to share your feelings. You are right that our offense did not do as well against d'oh U and uva. However, you have to compare how we did compared to how other teams have done. That's what my data did which you ignored.

I appreciate your passion if not your opinion.

What data did I ignore? I watched every play in person - the O scored 17 pts. The punter and ST scored 10. A great, very-entertaining victory but let's not go nuts pretending our offense did fantastic. What it absolutely DID do was take advantage of a UVA Turnover and complete 1 single pass when we needed it and most importantly, win the damn game.

I don't agree that I need to compare us vs other teams though. When plays are being executed, it doesn't matter what Miami did vs UVA a month ago or what we didn't do vs Duke a month ago. It doesn't matter that our early-season PK couldn't hit water if he was in a boat. What mattered is that Wells is a badass who is drilling kicks NOW.

Let's hope we have more success vs the mutts running those numerous early-down QB Keepers. We don't want to get into too many "and long" downs vs the idiot mutts. Let's also hope our defensive secondary learns how to tackle better over the next 5 days - we can't afford all those YAC that UVA racked up.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I agree but it's not an offense that's sustainable against teams that are better than VPI, which is my point.

It beat miami. It beat UVA ( marshall had over 100). It was driving on duke before clusterfumble. Again you don't really understand the offense. That is ok not everyone actually understands football and our offense is not a simple one.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Historically bad, YES- as in First Losing Season in 26 years. That's Historically Bad. I know it gets CPJ an extension but believe it or not, going 5-6 (VPI's best possible record) sucks for most fans.

By "Everyone", are you referring to the numerous people that Like many of my posts? Or just the Scheme-First, School-Second Johnsonians who love the same 7-win seasons and lower-tier bowlgames that got Gailey deservedly fired?

We all know you love CPJ more than the school but embracing mediocrity gets old after awhile.

You repeating the same old tired tripe gets old too....that never stops ya. Just when I thought the 40 QB sweep troll tripe was getting old you double down on the 7 win troll tripe to out do yourself.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
If we align as usual on offense with WRs spread to each side, will the dwags play 9 men in the box? If we play a tight formation with the WRs next to the tackles, will the dwags play 11 men in the box?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If we align as usual on offense with WRs spread to each side, will the dwags play 9 men in the box? If we play a tight formation with the WRs next to the tackles, will the dwags play 11 men in the box?

If they do, we'd best go up top and loosen them up. It might work or it might not, but running into the teeth of that most assuredly won't.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If the pass is there and is working, then sure. But if you look at the good teams we have played this year, TQM was 6 of 15 vs Pitt, 1 of 6 vs Clemson, and 1 of 8 vs. Virginia. He was 2 for 9 vs uga last year.

I just don't see it as a viable strategy, personally, to think we will do better at the thing we are worst at...against the best team we'll face.

But you never know. College ball can be crazy.

I really think our best bet would be a game like the Miami game. 3 of 4, all big completions downfield.

A closer look at the Clemson game will reveal that we threw 8 passes for a total of 57 yards, 7.1 yards per pass. We ran the ball for a 2.6 YPC average. Maybe if we'd thrown more we could have run more effectively.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
A closer look at the Clemson game will reveal that we threw 8 passes for a total of 57 yards, 7.1 yards per pass. We ran the ball for a 2.6 YPC average. Maybe if we'd thrown more we could have run more effectively.

the rush yardaage is depressed by a 20 yard loss on a fumble and about 5 sacks. we were actually closer to 200 actual yards on rushes not great but not as bad as 146.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
...Or just the Scheme-First, School-Second Johnsonians who love the same 7-win seasons and lower-tier bowlgames that got Gailey deservedly fired?

I hate putting people on ignore, but it is posts like this that make the board a miserable place.

Bye.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
The question would be, how good is Ugag's defense compared to the last few defenses we've faced. If they're Miami level, or UVA level, then, if we play well (if good Georgia Tech rolls into Athens), we could score 30'ish on them. If we can play EXTREMELY opportunistic defense with some help from them, then we'll have a chance. Boy, I'd love to see an upset!!! We need that. CFB needs that. I'd honestly love for GT to beat Ugag, then Ugag to beat Alabama just to send CFB into a circus, and destroy narratives.

Sweet baby Jesus you can’t in good conscience root for uga to beat Bama in the title game. The CFB media (by which I mean ESPN, mostly, because they flat out set the agenda) would absolutely play up the narrative that uga just overlooked us, and the win over Bama is just proof that they belong in the playoffs...and also that Bama is the best 1 loss team so they’re in too.

It beat miami. It beat UVA ( marshall had over 100). It was driving on duke before clusterfumble. Again you don't really understand the offense. That is ok not everyone actually understands football and our offense is not a simple one.

it's biggest victory was over the nation's #48 ranked team and we're now behind Duke and PITT in the Coastal, both of whom have figured it out. Running a ton of QB keepers isn't terribly complicated. Completing passes seems to be though.

That's OK - I know many GT fans are thrilled with 7 win seasons. IIWII.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
the rush yardaage is depressed by a 20 yard loss on a fumble and about 5 sacks. we were actually closer to 200 actual yards on rushes not great but not as bad as 146.

Not to quibble (so here goes a quibble), but there were three sacks totaling 24 yards lost. You might have misinterpreted yards lost on QB keepers as sacks. There were a number of those. Not counting the sacks against the rushing total, we rushed for 170 yards on 57 carries, or 3.0 yards per carry. I don't know whether the fumble into the end zone counts as yards lost (I don't think so), and at any rate is hardly a reason not to throw the ball.

crut

Helluva Engineer
it's biggest victory was over the nation's #48 ranked team and we're now behind Duke and PITT in the Coastal, both of whom have figured it out. Running a ton of QB keepers isn't terribly complicated. Completing passes seems to be though.

That's OK - I know many GT fans are thrilled with 7 win seasons. IIWII.
We've won 7 games under Paul Johnson 2 times in 10 years. 0 times in the last 5 years.
We won 7 games under Chan Gailey 5 times in 7 years.

The Paul Johnson era can be described as a lot of things... but a 7 win era is not one. Please come up with a new argument because that one is bogus.