Our Offense

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
I think this is the best offense for us to differentiate our very average recruiting. That said I think it needs to be simplified so that we aren't always hearing about mental errors and blown assignments. It's like Groh's defense was great on paper but too hard.

Plus it has to be simpler so that we can have more plug and play QBs. Next year we are going to start over again with a QB with very little experience and the mantra will be wait till he really learns the system. Well, that QB should be getting experience this year and I was saying after the first drive of the second half that MJ should be in to get that experience. Clemson had buried us and if we started making a run they would just take it off of cruise control. MJ needs the experience now.

If we lose to Miami, I'll scream this more as the ACCCG will be out of reach (VT, UNC and Pitt are better than Miami probably and some on the road).
I agree. MJ or Taquan need meaningful snaps this season.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For the record, I am not trying to pick on JJ Green. I was just using him as an example. There is a ton of blame to go around right now and benching him will certainly not be a cure all. He might end up being really good for us. Right now, execution in general for this team is a real problem. I has been so in our wins to date, and was so in our loss.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
JT does not look lost... I cannot for the life of me understand the issues fans have with JT. I understand he is not the midline specialty QB and or the get 1 more yard QB. But the general "he cannot run this offense" is beyond understanding.

IMO JT looks lost quite a bit this year. I'm not sure if it's all on him since other offensive players seem to be even more confused about what to do, who to block and which way to run.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
IMO JT looks lost quite a bit this year. I'm not sure if it's all on him since other offensive players seem to be even more confused about what to do, who to block and which way to run.

I'd look lost as well with a sea of unblocked defenders bearing down on me after every snap...

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
It's still early, I'm gonna wait and see how it goes this weekend before I jump to any real conclusions. Clemson DL is gonna cause major problems for anyone they play. If they give Louisville a fit then they are legit and Miami is gonna have good athletes all over the field. So we'll see how it goes.

Joeb21

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't tell you Hill because you know that's the answer but just don't want to hear it?....OK:banghead:

But the answer is Hill. We also had a good possession receiver opposite him. Hill had speed, got separation, got open deep, and did take the top off defenses. He had some easy drops so was no Calvin or even DT. But that latter doesn't make the former not true.
This.
He was not an elite receiver but he had great speed and opposing teams were forced to respect him.

This ain't gonna be popular but I'll say it anyway. Cut blocking is effective IF you effectively take your man out of the play ie he is on the ground. Now if our players aren't doing the job we all know what that means, yep the dreaded next man up. Other than that cut blocking is not gonna work.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
May be one more disappointing game to watch. Miami now has a good coach with a chip on his shoulder. And they have always had pretty good athletes.

Doesn't matter who the coach has been (Randy Shannon, Al Golden) they've had success against us in the CPJ era. Now you give them a coach who was successful against us during his stint at UGA, plus they still retain the athletes they usually have? Not a good combo for GT.

But the games are won on the field, so it'll be interesting to see what Richt can do against us in a different setting.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Most important is the tape for 2015 ND, 2015 Clemson game, and now 2016 are available to world.

Time to be innovative. We have the talent at ol , bb, ab and qb to be special this year.
CPJ claims, and the players echo, that Clemson did not do anything they have not seen before or anything they have not practiced against.

Is that blowing smoke or is the problem something other than defensive schemes against the option?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
CPJ claims, and the players echo, that Clemson did not do anything they have not seen before or anything they have not practiced against.

Is that blowing smoke or is the problem something other than defensive schemes against the option?
Maybe they are right, but if so it points to a greater disparity in talent than anyone can acknowledge. I guess a coach can't very well say our guys weren't as good as their guys, but if they weren't, just how do you explain that whipping? I would guess the Christians saw nothing from the lions they didn't didn't expect. But at kickoff it was still Christians vs. lions. Sometimes all the preparation and all the coaching still leaves you with that mismatch at kickoff. After our first series I never felt we had a chance. After Clemson's first series, I knew it.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Maybe they are right, but if so it points to a greater disparity in talent than anyone can acknowledge. I guess a coach can't very well say our guys weren't as good as their guys, but if they weren't, just how do you explain that whipping? I would guess the Christians saw nothing from the lions they didn't didn't expect. But at kickoff it was still Christians vs. lions. Sometimes all the preparation and all the coaching still leaves you with that mismatch at kickoff. After our first series I never felt we had a chance. After Clemson's first series, I knew it.

Just for my info, do you understand the difference between not doing your job and doing your job not well enough?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

I don't think the defensive scheme had anything to do with it. Having 300 lb defensive linemen who can run like a SOB had a lot more to do with this latest debacle. Not to mention linebackers that were athletic and utter disdain for our wide receivers which permitted them to cheat a safety up for run support which in most cases was a waste of time because by the time he got to the play the linemen and linebackers had already blown it up.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
"why-or-why-not-trouble-lurks-for-georgia-tech-offense" link -
Some interesting facts that include -
"Georgia Tech’s offensive effort against Clemson on Thursday night was quite arguably its worst in the 110-game tenure of coach Paul Johnson. Tech set Johnson-era lows for yards per play (2.38) and rushing yards (71).

However, the company it joins might be an indication that perhaps the sky is not falling earthward. The game it might most resemble is the 2010 Orange Bowl, when Iowa held the Jackets to 3.1 yards per play, which until Thursday was the all-time low for Tech with Johnson.

That team won the ACC championship with a future all-pro at wide receiver (Demaryius Thomas), the 2008 ACC player of the year at B-back (Jonathan Dwyer), a two-time All-ACC center (Sean Bedford) and a future draft pick at A-back (Anthony Allen), not to mention Joshua Nesbitt at quarterback, and yet was controlled almost as completely as Tech was on Thursday night. The point being – getting stonewalled by Clemson isn’t necessarily an indication that the offense is incapable and all is lost, given that one of Johnson’s very best teams was beaten in similar fashion."

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Some more -
"Since 2008, Tech has had nine league games in which it has averaged 8.0 yards per play or more. To put that into context, as powerful as Clemson’s offense was last year, its best single-game average was 7.8.

The nine-game total is tied with FSU for the most in the ACC. In fact, only seven teams have any games at 8.0 or better.
8.0 yards-per-play against ACC opponents games since 2008
Georgia Tech
Florida State
Miami
North Carolina
Clemson
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

On the other hand, Tech has had three ACC games when held to 4.0 yards or less – Clemson and Boston College this season, Duke last year and Miami in 2011. It’s tied with Miami for second fewest in the ACC, behind FSU with two. (I didn’t include Maryland, Louisville, Syracuse or Pittsburgh.)
4.0 yards per play or less against ACC opponents
Florida State
Miami
Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech
Clemson
NC State
North Carolina
Virginia
Duke
Boston College
Boston College
27"

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Some more -
"Since 2008, Tech has had nine league games in which it has averaged 8.0 yards per play or more. To put that into context, as powerful as Clemson’s offense was last year, its best single-game average was 7.8.

The nine-game total is tied with FSU for the most in the ACC. In fact, only seven teams have any games at 8.0 or better.
8.0 yards-per-play against ACC opponents games since 2008
Georgia Tech
Florida State
Miami
North Carolina
Clemson
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

On the other hand, Tech has had three ACC games when held to 4.0 yards or less – Clemson and Boston College this season, Duke last year and Miami in 2011. It’s tied with Miami for second fewest in the ACC, behind FSU with two. (I didn’t include Maryland, Louisville, Syracuse or Pittsburgh.)
4.0 yards per play or less against ACC opponents
Florida State
Miami
Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech
Clemson
NC State
North Carolina
Virginia
Duke
Boston College
Boston College
27"
Food for thought. Based on these numbers alone, whose offensive system would you rather run?