Our Offense

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yea but that team and time has come and gone. That was a once in 15 year team for GT.
It is what it is.

Best post of this thread. I am glad to see someone else gets it.

Did you just play the pwr5 card? lol.. Vandy??? Vandy???
They have been the bottom of the barrel for 25 years.

You can't be serious.

Last year, Vandy was #25 in scoring D versus pwr 5 opponents:
http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/national/team/defense/split24/category09/sort01.html

They were #6 in 3rd down conversions allowed versus pwr 5 opponents ... however, they were #1 of teams that played more than 2 pwr 5 opponents.
http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/national/team/defense/split24/category25/sort01.html

Of teams that played more than 2 pwr 5 opponents last year, they were #14 in ppd allowed, at 1.56

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/national/team/defense/split24/category09/sort01.html

They were #6 in 3rd down conversions allowed versus pwr 5 opponents ... however, they were #1 of teams that played more than 2 pwr 5 opponents.
http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/national/team/defense/split24/category25/sort01.html

Of teams that played more than 2 pwr 5 opponents last year, they were #14 in ppd allowed, at 1.56

I love how we cherry pick stats to fit an argument.

Whopping 3-9 in 2014 and blistering 4-8 in 2015,.

Yea, they are good..

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
Boy, this really blows away the ol' "our system is figured out" bs or the ol' "our system sucks" crappola. I wonder how our points per drive stat compares to the rest of the conference over that same period?

The system is sound, but like any system, you need guys who can execute it at a high level. Right now, we don't or maybe we do, but they haven't come close to reaching their peak performance due to lack of experience and development. How many 5 and 4 yr players are in the two deep on O? Here it is:

JT
Ike Willis
JJ Green
Ricky Jeune
Fromayan
Freddie B.
Shamire

7 upperclassmen out of 22 on the 2 deep. Out that 7, one is a former walkon (Ike), one is a transfer in his first year in system (JJ), one is a transfer in his first year as starter (Eason) one has been around a while, but is a first year starter (Sham) and three are multi-year starters.

After that, we have 15 freshmen and sophomores rounding out our offensive 2-deep.

Sorry, but that's not a recipe for a well-oiled machine early in a season against a top five opponent with arguably the best defense in all of college football. I'm not sure what everybody was expecting and why they were expecting it.

I didn't look but how many out of the 15 in the 2 deep are TF and TS? After 3 years in the program,I have a hard time calling them young and inexperienced.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Is it a disadvantage for us now that many opposing teams spend an inordinate amount of time prepping and practicing for us, plus the definite trend of teams scheduling byes or gimmie wins before they play us?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Yea, they are good..

Right. The question was about our offensive performance against Vandy, not simply whether we won or lost. So the relevant data is about their defensive performance, not their team as a whole. That's not cherry-picking stats, that's using the relevant stats for the question at hand.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer

Yea, they are good..

If I were to attack AE87's argument (crap 87 beat me to it!) I would not point out Vandy's overall record as a rebuttal to his citation of their defensive statistics. After all, the argument is about whether our scheme has been figured out by defenses.

A better argument would be : 'Yeah, Vandy's D was good last year, but that doesn't necessarily make 'em good THIS year'. Or you could argue 'their offense sucked so bad that it put too much pressure on their defense, and THAT this was the reason our O looked good against them....our scheme has still been figured out'.

Or you can say that Vandy had our scheme figured out, but just failed to execute the counter-scheme. Or that in this case we executed better and neutralized their counter scheme. Crap, never mind....now we are talking about execution again. Aw to hey with it, you're on your own!

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
If I were to attack AE87's argument (crap 87 beat me to it!) I would not point out Vandy's overall record as a rebuttal to his citation of their defensive statistics. After all, the argument is about whether our scheme has been figured out by defenses.

A better argument would be : 'Yeah, Vandy's D was good last year, but that doesn't necessarily make 'em good THIS year'. Or you could argue 'their offense sucked so bad that it put too much pressure on their defense, and THAT this was the reason our O looked good against them....our scheme has still been figured out'.

Or you can say that Vandy had our scheme figured out, but just failed to execute the counter-scheme. Or that in this case we executed better and neutralized their counter scheme. Crap, never mind....now we are talking about execution again. Aw to hey with it, you're on your own!

I don't have time.. Some of us work lol..

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

GT has a lot more talent than Vandy has along with Paul Johnson being a much better head coach than Derek Mason.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow

Last year is irrelevant. (EX) GT in 2014 (11-3) GT in 2015 (3-9). We can look back in December and see just how good our competition was in 2016 and have a better idea of how good/bad we really are.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Right. The question was about our offensive performance against Vandy, not simply whether we won or lost. So the relevant data is about their defensive performance, not their team as a whole. That's not cherry-picking stats, that's using the relevant stats for the question at hand.

you replied to my 2014 comment.
I quoted your vandy comment that we beat a pwr 5 school.
I was pointing out they are not a very good pwr 5 school, which shows in the records of the years you pointed out.

They can lead the league in D and have losses. W's & L's is what gets you paid. Not D stats.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Last year is irrelevant. (EX) GT in 2014 (11-3) GT in 2015 (3-9). We can look back in December and see just how good our competition was in 2016 and have a better idea of how good/bad we really are.

That's what I don't understand. They are clinging to 2014.
2014 was great, I enjoyed it. but that time and team are gone.

Defenses DEFINITELY figured out the offense in the first half of 2014. Then FORGOT how to figure it out in the second half of 2014.

But--with all new skill guys and a crapload of injuries for GT--they refigured out how to stop us in 2015. I mean look at what UNC and Pitt did to our offense last year!

And now in 2016 BC and CU remembered how to figure out and stop our offense, but dumb ol' Vandy forgot.

So I am thinking it HAS been figured out. We haven't innovated like Mark Richt, whose offenses are usually pretty prolific. The confusing thing is that some teams experience AMNESIA with respect to our O. This creates the unfortunate illusion that our offense HASN'T been figured out. And so we go on running the same silly thing with varying results.

Yes, surely it has very little to do with how we execute. Folks have been stopping Navy dead-cold for years. Let's hope the rest of the season teams forget that it's actually pretty easy to stop our offense. It's pretty much our only hope.
Who has been stopping Navy dead cold for years? Currently they have the 5th highest rushing yards in the country. They finished 2nd in the country in rushing last year. When Navy has lost, it was because they were outmanned, not because their offense has been stopped.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I agree that we'll have a better idea of our competition at the end of the year. In fact, I said in the post that started this digression that our offense may get shut down from here on out. I mentioned our game against Vandy this year as a reason for some optimism. Now, of course, Vandy is not a great team, but they're not FCS either. Vandy isn't Clemson, but they're not Mercer either.

So, the entire context was about the performance of our offense, which makes the quality of Vandy's D the issue. Of course, last year's team was a different team, but it's not that different. Vandy returned 5 of top 6 DL, 7 of top 9 LBs and 6 of 8 DBs. This led the SBNation preview for this year to declare, "Vanderbilt's defense would be good enough to win the SEC East ... if it had an offense." If you compare the returners on offense from 2014 to 2015, you'll see why that comparison is not apt.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I agree that we'll have a better idea of our competition at the end of the year. In fact, I said in the post that started this digression that our offense may get shut down from here on out. I mentioned our game against Vandy this year as a reason for some optimism. Now, of course, Vandy is not a great team, but they're not FCS either. Vandy isn't Clemson, but they're not Mercer either.

So, the entire context was about the performance of our offense, which makes the quality of Vandy's D the issue. Of course, last year's team was a different team, but it's not that different. Vandy returned 5 of top 6 DL, 7 of top 9 LBs and 6 of 8 DBs. This led the SBNation preview for this year to declare, "Vanderbilt's defense would be good enough to win the SEC East ... if it had an offense." If you compare the returners on offense from 2014 to 2015, you'll see why that comparison is not apt.

oops, that last sentence should be clearer that it's about GT's offense