Our Offense

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I hate to come out and admit this but I am starting to truly dislike our offense, two straight years of getting shut down by good defenses is wearing down my love for CPJ and the spread-option. It seems like the top teams with fast defenses like ND, VT, Clem etc have figured out how to disrupt our blocking schemes just enough to cut our running efficiency way down, unless we manage to get a passing game going which is very rare these days. I mean i hate to sound like a pussyassquiter but this is getting harder and harder to watch.

Am i the 0nly one here feeling this?

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
If we had the financial reserves to deal with this, yes, I'd be frustrated. With our lack of ability to provide the resources in recruiting, facilities, athletes that can maintain eligibility, all while maintaining APR, graduations, etc... I don't know what else we would go to everything else being equal.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Been on the fence about this since last year. As much as last night sucked, I think its too soon to say and will want to see how we do against Miami. I love watching this offense when its clicking but between young athletes and something with the coaching the past year it seems that the O-Line is only good against mediocre teams. I really want to believe 2014 wasn't a fluke year, and I think we have potential for another one of those years if we can rebound from this game unlike ND last year. Clemson is a powerhouse now, and they have only gotten better since 2014 and well we have stayed pretty flat. I do miss the CPJ Death March which its been a while since we could do that

Matt E

GT Athlete
Love the offense but would love to see more of a passing package to mix it up. We have the personal to go shift to empty 5-10x a game and spread the D with their base package on the field vs them substituting to nickel. Clemson went empty a few times last night and it was an easy QB run up the middle due to the defense being so spread out or a quick pass that gained 5-10 yards. I know we will NEVER see this, but it would make me feel much better about our prospects when we face a D that shuts down our bread and butter. Mixing it up isn't a bad thing.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
If we had the financial reserves to deal with this, yes, I'd be frustrated. With our lack of ability to provide the resources in recruiting, facilities, athletes that can maintain eligibility, all while maintaining APR, graduations, etc... I don't know what else we would go to everything else being equal.

I disagree with this and its the same old lame excuse I have been hearing for over 30 years every time things don't go our way. Look around and not just at the elite programs, our resources and facilities are not the problem, while recruiting and academics are issue's to some extent this all about our offense not working and it needs to be fixed, plain and simple. There is still a lot of football to be played and CPJ has the opportunity to turn it around, we'll see what happens.

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
I disagree with this and its the same old lame excuse I have been hearing for over 30 years every time things don't go our way. Look around and not just at the elite programs, our resources and facilities are not the problem, while recruiting and academics are issue's to some extent this all about our offense not working and it needs to be fixed, plain and simple. There is still a lot of football to be played and CPJ has the opportunity to turn it around, we'll see what happens.

That's fair. Execution on the OLine is atrocious. Jimmies and Joes feeds more to my prior comment. I hope Johnson can turn it around as well.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Love the offense but would love to see more of a passing package to mix it up. We have the personal to go shift to empty 5-10x a game and spread the D with their base package on the field vs them substituting to nickel. Clemson went empty a few times last night and it was an easy QB run up the middle due to the defense being so spread out or a quick pass that gained 5-10 yards. I know we will NEVER see this, but it would make me feel much better about our prospects when we face a D that shuts down our bread and butter. Mixing it up isn't a bad thing.

Yeah it's fun to occasionally watch other good option teams and see how they mix things up. Like last year Georgia Southern vs Georgia and especially the bowl game with Air Force vs Cal. I like our offense a lot (perfect fit to compete in the face of our inherent recruiting obstacles) but it sure is nice to see how other option teams get creative with formations and what not and run different plays. I wish PJ would steal from all of them and make GT the most unpredictable unstoppable option offense in the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
JT threw a screen pass to Juene I thought were has this been all game? Didn't look like much but it gained 6 yards and if Juene could have broke the tackle couldn't have went for more.

Can we get more of that please?

Matt E

GT Athlete
Yeah it's fun to occasionally watch other good option teams and see how they mix things up. Like last year Georgia Southern vs Georgia and especially the bowl game with Air Force vs Cal. I like our offense a lot (perfect fit to compete in the face of our inherent recruiting obstacles) but it sure is nice to see how other option teams get creative with formations and what not and run different plays. I wish PJ would steal from all of them and make GT the most unpredictable unstoppable option offense in the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was exactly my point and you nailed it. I don't want to change our identity our or bread and butter, just add a few wrinkles. I was excited when we hired Coach Cook based on his experience running different formations but nothing has changed IMO.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
Been on the fence about this since last year. As much as last night sucked, I think its too soon to say and will want to see how we do against Miami. I love watching this offense when its clicking but between young athletes and something with the coaching the past year it seems that the O-Line is only good against mediocre teams. I really want to believe 2014 wasn't a fluke year, and I think we have potential for another one of those years if we can rebound from this game unlike ND last year. Clemson is a powerhouse now, and they have only gotten better since 2014 and well we have stayed pretty flat. I do miss the CPJ Death March which its been a while since we could do that

I don't think 2014 was a fluke. Every top team we played we beat that year. The 2 losses, we were in the game right up until the last second. I'm not so sure the skilled players now have bought into this offense like Laskey , Days, Smelter,Hill, Bostic,Perkins and company. We all know if you execute well this offense is unstoppable. We've seen it. Execution looks terrible everywhere on offense. That includes QB,BB,AB,WR and o line. Bad reads, bad tracks and missed assignments are getting old. If changes aren't made in "want too"and attitude of this team, we could be looking at another 3-9 season.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I think the death marches will return as we start to get beefier quarterbacks into the system. Love JT and what he's done for the program, but he's just not a guy who can sustain a death march on his own. I also think teams are starting to key in on him now as he's one of our biggest playmakers, so he's getting limited. I think Matthew Jordan won't be nearly as electric, but you'll probably see us change the playbook a bit to fit his style next year. Also, Lucas Johnson is 6'3" 200 lbs, but he's got a ways to go. LJ, assuming he buys in completely, brings a lot of talent in both running and passing and could make the offense very dynamic. But all this talk doesn't help in the present, so let's hope the coaches find a way to compensate for talent differential at the LOS first. Need a good OL to thrive in any system.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If our guys blocked who they're supposed to block, our O would be unstoppable. Part of the problem is playing a mix of young guys who are well below their ceiling (Bryan, Klock, Braun, Marshall). Another issue is having a passing game designed to take advantage of single coverage filled with guys who can't get open in single coverage.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
If our guys blocked who they're supposed to block, our O would be unstoppable. Part of the problem is playing a mix of young guys who are well below their ceiling (Bryan, Klock, Braun, Marshall). Another issue is having a passing game designed to take advantage of single coverage filled with guys who can't get open in single coverage.

Hit the nail on the head.

The issue is the receivers. We don't have anyone that can get separation. Same last year.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I think the death marches will return as we start to get beefier quarterbacks into the system. Love JT and what he's done for the program, but he's just not a guy who can sustain a death march on his own. I also think teams are starting to key in on him now as he's one of our biggest playmakers, so he's getting limited. I think Matthew Jordan won't be nearly as electric, but you'll probably see us change the playbook a bit to fit his style next year. Also, Lucas Johnson is 6'3" 200 lbs, but he's got a ways to go. LJ, assuming he buys in completely, brings a lot of talent in both running and passing and could make the offense very dynamic. But all this talk doesn't help in the present, so let's hope the coaches find a way to compensate for talent differential at the LOS first. Need a good OL to thrive in any system.

I really miss those death marches. Really hoping to see blocking improve as well, JT looked like he was scrambling like last year most of the game.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
The biggest issue I see and have seen when the offense fails like this is the timing and leverage. While sometimes you see a guy that seems to be going after the wrong assignment for blocking, often they make it to their guy either too early, too late, or have the wrong angle relative to the ball carrier behind him.

The ball carrier should ideally be sprinting toward the designed alley right before the blockers are about to make contact with their assignment. Instead, I often see blockers making contact and the ball carrier still hesitating and continuing to move wide instead of seeing the alley and shifting to 6th (or vice versa when the blocker has outside leverage, the ball carrier goes inside). There's the "should I go inside or outside" hesitation which seems to be more than enough time for the defender to beat the block and make the play. Sometimes they run straight into their blocker or get way too close and the defender can just lunge at them; I think this is because the ball carrier is looking beyond at the second layer of blocking possibly because he thinks that first block can be maintained longer than it really can/is?

So yes, there are times where our guys are completely whiffing the block or not even going in the right direction but whenever I review the film, if we can improve the timing, decisiveness, and instincts about what their teammate/blocker is trying to do for them (we'll call this "swarm think" for comic relief) then we would have better production on offense.

Now admittedly, the above does not explain the first half of the game last night. I think that is all about Clemson timing the snap or something weird because they are getting crazy penetration up the middle that was disrupting Justin's footwork.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I hate to come out and admit this but I am starting to truly dislike our offense

The offense is not as bad as we think. Most mistakes are made on offense, so I'm not terribly worried about it. The core problem is that a spread option is designed to work above the 40 yard line where you can open up all your offensive tools. It can especially effective inside the opponents 35.

But we aren't getting there. Our defense is too passive and yields too much to get us in position to open up. It's a simple recipe ... maintain good field position, play good defense, make as few offensive mistakes as possible, exploit the kicking game, and make breaks and capitalize on them.

We won't be able to fully realize the spread option unless we implement the rest of it. Therein lies the problem. And the opportunity.