Our Offense

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If we had Chris Griffin and Jake Whitley, let alone Gary Brown, and even a 100% Trey Klock and Stickler it may have been different.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The problem with your Argument is that Paul Johnson has won an ACC title..been to 2 OB and a Peach and has two 10 win seasons...

And? The last 6 years Johnson (42-37) has a worse record than Gaily (44-32) had in his 6 years here. And if it wasn't for Laskey's injury forcing Johnson to play the better back, it would be even worse.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
And? The last 6 years Johnson (42-37) has a worse record than Gaily (44-32) had in his 6 years here. And if it wasn't for Laskey's injury forcing Johnson to play the better back, it would be even worse.

And Gailey's teams never played in a New Years bowl, never won an ACC Championship despite having the best player in college football, never beat GA and was unbelievably boring! Screw Gailey and his "pro style" bulls**t.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I am about ready to quit thinking about this stinkin' turd of a game, but think about this: What would it have looked like if the teams swapped wide receivers? My perception was neither team hurt the other with their running game, or at least not much. When they needed to convert, they just threw it to a wide open receiver. Wide open because their speed forced our corners to play well off them to make sure they didn't get beat deep. Their corners played ours tight, because they didn't think they were fast enough to run by em. So even when JT had time, he had to try to force it to a covered receiver. I think we could have made a game of it if we had a single receiver with deep speed.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Come on guys. The problem is Paul Johnson and the TO. He is not going to change, he doesn't know anything else. Recruiting is the major problem and most highschool players are not going to sign on because they do not like his offense. He is going down with the ship trying to prove his system will work. So keep banging your head thinking things are going to get better. For the most part Tech will always be a 7/5 team.
I guess you didn't enjoy the '14 OB season?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
T
I guess you didn't enjoy the '14 OB season?

Watched the fire works after the game but 14 is gone.
Gone also is the 2014 msu dc, the uga dc and per the locals in nwf if fsu lays down again the fsu dc will be gone. That year when we beat Clemson the defense scored on 2 pic 6 . The clemson dc is still there.

That team was great but things have moved on.

Most important is the tape for 2015 ND, 2015 Clemson game, and now 2016 are available to world.

Time to be innovative. We have the talent at ol , bb, ab and qb to be special this year.

Take from an old guy who ran an pipeline engineering company , your competitors get better or they don't get money.

Watch vt run the baylor offense. Bud foster has smallish super fast defense but we can beat these guys.

Next 5 weeks are important for our future. WE are bloodied but not bowed and can beat these guys.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow

At least he got it right this year playing the better back from the get go. Although talent usually rises to the top. Maybe that's why Laskey is getting paid in the NFL.

GTFLETCH

Banned
So you are saying you would rather have Chan Gailey who never went to a Peach Bowl or to 2 Orange Bowls (winning 1), or won the ACC Title... You were happy with the 7 win seasons and the Emerald Bowls and losing to Wake Forest in the ACC Title game....

You are making NO SENSE!!

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the point is that neither are what we want, Chan's boring old offense not Paul's high school offense. The contrast between the two records is to point our that there are the CPJ diehards who wanted chan gone for his record and now, with time, Paul's is very similar.....

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think this is the best offense for us to differentiate our very average recruiting. That said I think it needs to be simplified so that we aren't always hearing about mental errors and blown assignments. It's like Groh's defense was great on paper but too hard.

Plus it has to be simpler so that we can have more plug and play QBs. Next year we are going to start over again with a QB with very little experience and the mantra will be wait till he really learns the system. Well, that QB should be getting experience this year and I was saying after the first drive of the second half that MJ should be in to get that experience. Clemson had buried us and if we started making a run they would just take it off of cruise control. MJ needs the experience now.

If we lose to Miami, I'll scream this more as the ACCCG will be out of reach (VT, UNC and Pitt are better than Miami probably and some on the road).

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
As I have said in prior posts, if you are not innovating you are getting left behind. This offense has now been seen and studied within the ACC for 9 years. They have seen the things that work against it and the defensive coordinators are not all stupid. This offense works well when it is executed but teams seem to have found ways to disrupt or execution. The first time it was really obvious to me was when we played Iowa in a bowl game several years ago. They absolutely demolished us. Not sure what the answer is but continuing to do the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is called insanity. There is no doubt that this offense makes recruiting more difficult for elite lineman and QB's. We get the HS QB's that are more run oriented and not great passers but want to still play QB in college. The linemen want to play in an offense that is more pass protection oriented like the pro game. WR's want to get more than 1 or 2 passes thrown to them a game. We get kids that want an education and are good (but not elite) players. I am very proud of the character and classroom achievement of our players.

As I have said in prior posts, if you are not innovating you are getting left behind. This offense has now been seen and studied within the ACC for 9 years. They have seen the things that work against it and the defensive coordinators are not all stupid. This offense works well when it is executed but teams seem to have found ways to disrupt or execution. The first time it was really obvious to me was when we played Iowa in a bowl game several years ago. They absolutely demolished us. Not sure what the answer is but continuing to do the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is called insanity. There is no doubt that this offense makes recruiting more difficult for elite lineman and QB's. We get the HS QB's that are more run oriented and not great passers but want to still play QB in college. The linemen want to play in an offense that is more pass protection oriented like the pro game. WR's want to get more than 1 or 2 passes thrown to them a game. We get kids that want an education and are good (but not elite) players. I am very proud of the character and classroom achievement of our players.
One flaw in your argument is that after Iowa (undeniably the best defense we have faced), the offense still managed to maintain and improve, leading up to 2014. What made Iowa's defense so formidable was their discipline. What made Clemson's defense so formidable was their size and speed. I don't think we have ever, and perhaps never will, face a defense as disciplined as Iowa's was, but we will continue to face big and fast defenses like Clemson's. Do we have an answer? I would think after 35 years of coaching this offensive scheme, Johnson would have an answer, but we haven't seen it yet. Let's hope we do and SOON.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The offense is not the problem. This is the same offense that rewrote the offensive efficiency record books a mere 16 games ago. Do you remember the orange bowl and the "they just can't stop it folks"? What has changed are the players running the offense. Are defenses evolving? Of course. Is our offense evolving? I would say so, based on the plays I am seeing run.

The sad truth, IMHO, is that the kids on the current roster have not learned to run the offense yet. I am not picking on the kid because he is a well respected player and athlete, but just look at JJ Green, for example, and watch the game tape. He is a good runner, but he hasn't learned to block in space yet and he really doesn't have a feel for what we are doing. I'll bet if you lined him up and gave him deep handoffs in a zone block scheme, he would be more than fine. That is the stuff I am talking about. When was the last play you saw one of our WRs hit a huge play? Do you guys realize we are never behind the defense anymore? It used to be commonplace, with guys running free deep all the time. Our level of team execution and stretching ability at the boundary are down right now. I'm not sure what we can do for the latter but the former can and should be improved upon.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
So you are saying you would rather have Chan Gailey who never went to a Peach Bowl or to 2 Orange Bowls (winning 1), or won the ACC Title... You were happy with the 7 win seasons and the Emerald Bowls and losing to Wake Forest in the ACC Title game....

You are making NO SENSE!!

Well I wouldn't be making sense if that is what I said. But it isn't. I'd try reading what's actually said rather than trying to twist it into something you can just dismiss without actually facing the issue.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I am not picking on the kid because he is a well respected player and athlete, but just look at JJ Green, for example, and watch the game tape. He is a good runner, but he hasn't learned to block in space yet and he really doesn't have a feel for what we are doing. I'll bet if you lined him up and gave him deep handoffs in a zone block scheme, he would be more than fine.

It's tough to outline problems sometimes when they can be somewhat obvious and it seems like you're calling out a kid who's trying his best. I know that isn't what you're doing, I'm just saying that when things are going bad it's easy for all of us to pick out faults from the comfort of our La-Z-Boys and it is my hope that we as a fanbase won't start with the, "Bench s0-and-so, he sucks!" posts. To your point, yes, watch the very first play of the game and watch what happens with the playside A-Back. Even if we had blocked #1 the play would've blown up. And that was our first play of the game.

Sometimes the other team is just that much better. Our margin for error against those teams is razor-thin, and we don't help ourselves when we turn people loose or miss an assignment. This is probably what Vandy and Tulane and other teams we've beat on feel like after we play them. Sometimes we're Clubber Lang, sometimes we're Rocky:

But when Rocky executes and gets his mind rite he can win, too.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I hate losing, but I hate the loser trolls more. Smdh.

It could be that we're shut down every game from here on out, but history suggests it's unlikely. We pulled our starters just last week against a pwr5 team while practically scoring at will.

Watch the CU game and the Vandy game comparing D formations. Watch last year's CU game. My guess is that you'll see CU doing more of what Vandy did. They were well prepared.

We needed to play at our best and didn't.

The offense is not the problem. This is the same offense that rewrote the offensive efficiency record books a mere 16 games ago. Do you remember the orange bowl and the "they just can't stop it folks"? What has changed are the players running the offense. Are defenses evolving? Of course. Is our offense evolving? I would say so, based on the plays I am seeing run.

The sad truth, IMHO, is that the kids on the current roster have not learned to run the offense yet. I am not picking on the kid because he is a well respected player and athlete, but just look at JJ Green, for example, and watch the game tape. He is a good runner, but he hasn't learned to block in space yet and he really doesn't have a feel for what we are doing. I'll bet if you lined him up and gave him deep handoffs in a zone block scheme, he would be more than fine. That is the stuff I am talking about. When was the last play you saw one of our WRs hit a huge play? Do you guys realize we are never behind the defense anymore? It used to be commonplace, with guys running free deep all the time. Our level of team execution and stretching ability at the boundary are down right now. I'm not sure what we can do for the latter but the former can and should be improved upon.
So you're saying the players aren't being prepped or coached properly? Isn't that what off season workouts are for or spring practice is for? When players are having a hard time year after year doing what the "system" requires to work, it maybe the system. It is not like Tech is recruiting a bunch of dumb jocks that can't read or get out of the rain when it is raining. JJ Green isn't the only A back out there and saying he isn't ready is an indictment on the rest of A backs that aren't playing. Hell JT looks lost sometimes and how long has he been studying and working in the Wing T? That says more than anything else.

JT does not look lost... I cannot for the life of me understand the issues fans have with JT. I understand he is not the midline specialty QB and or the get 1 more yard QB. But the general "he cannot run this offense" is beyond understanding.
I can't help u with the understanding problem. Obviously we are watching two different performances. Maybe it's not fair to compare him to other QBs, but I would rather have Josh any day of the week. Saying that is not saying much for this offense since it is year 9 of Paul running the ship.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The 2014 orange bowl was a real highlight for our team. It was a great reward for a special season to our players, coaches, and fans. I would point out that MS had their defensive coordinator leave before the bowl game to take another job. That really helped us as there is no doubt that this is an offense that most teams dont see very often. No one runs it in the SEC so it was new for them to prepare for. Our defense gave up over 600 yards to them and we still won fairly handily, but I think we were fortunate to be facing a coaching change before the game. It worked out great for us and helped us have a magical season that year. It was not the sole reason for the win but it sure did not hurt.