Our Offense

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
JT threw a screen pass to Juene I thought were has this been all game? Didn't look like much but it gained 6 yards and if Juene could have broke the tackle couldn't have went for more.

Can we get more of that please?
Not sure about this. Didn't we have (at least two other) screen passes, one to Marshall and another to a WR that got blown up behind the line of scrimmage? I know for a fact that when I looked up at either 2nd quarter or 3rd quarter, we had -3 total yards passing.

I know we had another one that was incomplete to an AB thrown a little low where Clemson picked it up thinking it was a backward pass.

My point being, even screen passes need blocking which we're having issues with generally.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Teams with great athletes and good coaching are going to pose difficulties for anyone, regardless of the scheme... I think our scheme and coach are as effective (or not) as any against teams like the one we played last night...

Auburn (262 yards/16 1st downs) and Troy (386/21) way outperformed us (124/11) offensively vs. Clemson. Hell we barely edged SC State's offensive performance (102/9)

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Who were our elite wide recievers during the Tevin Washngton years? (And don't tell me Stephen Hill). Offense worked great then, and i would tend to believe that we have more speed at all skill positions now, and a bigger OL. Whats changed?

Animal02

Banned
If our guys blocked who they're supposed to block, our O would be unstoppable. Part of the problem is playing a mix of young guys who are well below their ceiling (Bryan, Klock, Braun, Marshall). Another issue is having a passing game designed to take advantage of single coverage filled with guys who can't get open in single coverage.
Would help if JT was 6 inches taller as well.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If we had the financial reserves to deal with this, yes, I'd be frustrated. With our lack of ability to provide the resources in recruiting, facilities, athletes that can maintain eligibility, all while maintaining APR, graduations, etc... I don't know what else we would go to everything else being equal.

There's no reason whatsoever that we couldn't run a offense similar to Louisville, Baylor, UNC, etc. We are actually getting some very good recruits the past two seasons, i really don't think thats an excuse at all.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I saw a Clem Dlineman hurdle our OL as he was diving to the ground and make it to the backfield. Literally just jumped. If that's all that it takes to defeat our lineman's blocking then we really do have an issue.

Animal02

Banned
I saw a Clem Dlineman hurdle our OL as he was diving to the ground and make it to the backfield. Literally just jumped. If that's all that it takes to defeat our lineman's blocking then we really do have an issue.
I think the cut blocking is overused. It has its place, but have seen too many times where it ends up more of a miss, the defender stays on his feet and can make a play while the blocker is on the ground and has taken himself out of the play.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Who were our elite wide recievers during the Tevin Washngton years? (And don't tell me Stephen Hill.

Don't tell you Hill because you know that's the answer but just don't want to hear it?....OK:banghead:

But the answer is Hill. We also had a good possession receiver opposite him. Hill had speed, got separation, got open deep, and did take the top off defenses. He had some easy drops so was no Calvin or even DT. But that latter doesn't make the former not true.

Matt E

GT Athlete
Who were our elite wide recievers during the Tevin Washngton years? (And don't tell me Stephen Hill). Offense worked great then, and i would tend to believe that we have more speed at all skill positions now, and a bigger OL. Whats changed?

Hill wasn't elite, but he did have elite speed. He proved that at the combine. We lack explosiveness at the WR position now and cannot get separation. The corners gave us a huge cushion in the Thomas/Hill/Smelter/Waller years because they could run by you. We had options to run the smoke screen as well as the advantage of the potential pitch defender (CB) being off the ball in fear of getting burned. Clemson was right up in our face last night as they were last year. They have no fear of getting beat deep. This effects the passing and the run game

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Unless our recruiting classes can move up from the 40s/50s, we are not going to be a perennial power team. We are overachieving our recruiting rankings with the current staff.

It's an open question whether the recruiting issues are an institutional thing or whether a different coach could do much better. I lean toward the first. College football is different today than 25 years ago.

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
There's no reason whatsoever that we couldn't run a offense similar to Louisville, Baylor, UNC, etc. We are actually getting some very good recruits the past two seasons, i really don't think thats an excuse at all.

Unfortunately, I think that's a coach change, which is $$$$ we don't have. Paul modified the offense with Vad and that went really well. I'd love to see it too, but we have a stubborn coach.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I wonder if Parker Braun will get the start against Miami... I know S. Devine was a 4 star, however it seems he has a problem blocking people...

Also I wonder if MJ and JT needs to split time like Tevin and Vad... It appears to me JT does not get downhill on QB runs the way he did in 2014... MJ is bigger and may be able to take the pounding..

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Last night was a reality check. We aren't as good as we think. Im so sick and tired of people complaining about our defense. Our defense is the most talented Group on the field, all this crap about giving them 5-7 yards of cushion is all I hear on here. You guys want us to play Press Man Coverage and blitz every play. That's fine, until we start getting beat deep then you guys complain about putting to much pressure on our offense and how they aren't built for comebacks etc. Our offense is wonderful and it works fine if we block, maybe if you guys wouldn't set the bar so high going in to a game against the #5 team in the country you wouldn't be so disappointed. The ones who complain and moan about how bad we are and how we will never get back to 2014 level are the same ones that don't find their butts in seats on Saturdays. If we're bad, if we aren't gonna get back to an elite level program, if we can't recurit WHY ARE YOU A FAN? Seriously if you don't love the program and support it you are completely wasting your time. Stop complaining, there's a reason Coach Johnson is the 5th winningest active coach, he's knows what he's doing, but until we start showing up to games and bringing in some money for the program he can't do what he wants in the recruiting department. I don't want to see all of you on CPJ's nutts Saturday when we beat these thUgs by 21. See you Saturday, SEC. 111 Be ready to get loud. GO JACKETS TO HELL WITH GEORGIA

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
My main problem on offense is I think we go away from the dive too often. I’m perfectly ok with taking 2-3 yards on 1st and doing the same on 2nd down. And then doing the same on 3rd down until the defense starts playing it. I’ll take the 4th and 1 punt at some point the D will either start trying to stop the short gain or start wearing down and giving up 3-4 yards instead of 2-3. I’ve said numerous times I think one of the best offensive games we’ve ever played was 2014 against Miami where we just settled on taking 3 yards a played on the dive over and over and over again until Miami just couldn’t take it anymore.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Blocking and screen passes would be nice and maybe this wouldn't matter if the entire d line is in your back field like last not but we need to just have an O-lineman run pat the guy he's supposed to be blocking and throw to him. CPJ likes using converted TEs anyway. A quick toss here or there when they're jumping the snap like that might slow it down some. Again don't know if it would have worked last night getting blown up that bad and I'm sure CPJ has heard this and thought it a million times so he probably has a reason he doesn't do it. Just came to mind.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
In 2006, with a Pro Style offense that featured Calvin Johnson and Tashard Choice, we lost to a Clemson team that wasn't nearly as good as this one 31-7. We put up a whopping 212 yards of offense. Blaming the scheme is a little short sighted. We can get a new coach and a fancy new offense. Unless we find a coach who can recruit significantly better than any coach we have had in recent memory, we will likely be right back at the same place or worse.

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
My main problem on offense is I think we go away from the dive too often. I’m perfectly ok with taking 2-3 yards on 1st and doing the same on 2nd down. And then doing the same on 3rd down until the defense starts playing it. I’ll take the 4th and 1 punt at some point the D will either start trying to stop the short gain or start wearing down and giving up 3-4 yards instead of 2-3. I’ve said numerous times I think one of the best offensive games we’ve ever played was 2014 against Miami where we just settled on taking 3 yards a played on the dive over and over and over again until Miami just couldn’t take it anymore.

That was a beautiful football game. The offense was "Here it comes. You can't stop it..."
Then they popped outside on the last TD to break their back. Laskey had a heck of a day.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I disagree with this and its the same old lame excuse I have been hearing for over 30 years every time things don't go our way. Look around and not just at the elite programs, our resources and facilities are not the problem, while recruiting and academics are issue's to some extent this all about our offense not working and it needs to be fixed, plain and simple. There is still a lot of football to be played and CPJ has the opportunity to turn it around, we'll see what happens.
Well, okay. No argument. Except: you can't fix any offense in the world with this offensive line play. And that gets to recruiting and athletes, and that gets to all kinds of other discussions. There were a couple of times last night, again, when the O line looked like 52-card pickup. Seemingly everybody just kind of went where they felt they might be needed. I don't do the x and o stuff but I wonder how much of that is being so overmatched up front, how much is defensive scheme, how much is inexperience (one senior starter?) how much is a wrong QB read, how much is coaching, and how much is moon and tide phase. From what I see this early Clemson and Louisville are definitely 1st tier ACC, FSU will be, UNC wants to be, VT might be, and everybody else is in the shakeout for pecking order. Mainly at this point I want Clemson to hang 50 on Louisville.