Our defense is awful...

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
It is vital that we play more aggressive on D to create turnovers bc that is going to be a huge factor if we are going to have a good season once we get into our schedule.

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
Some guy on StingTalk, I think it was, had a sig that used to make me laugh: "Just wait till we don't win good enough."

Seriously guys. I get that the D was not impressive. There are fair criticisms of scheme, and I think we may be about to see some changes. But take just a moment to enjoy the win.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think the O is more of a concern because it is our stock in trade, our signature calling card. When our offense is working well, we don't have to play defense as much so it becomes less of a concern. You wear out the other team, run the clock and score with enough frequency to take the pressure off of your defense. That is CPJ's brand of football. He cares about defense but he obsesses over his offense. We had a nice drive going but fumbled the ball away and gave Mercer an opportunity to capture the momentum. Thankfully we did gain the edge back thanks to some overly conservative Mercer coaching and some good play by our TEAM on both sides of the ball prior to half time. The second half was more of a scrimmage with a lot of guys playing and experimentation with personnel groupings. I see a lot of potential in this team on both sides of the ball and we just have to keep getting better. Like I said if we can turn it loose mid to late season we could be a lethal ball team.

Go Jackets!

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I think the O is more of a concern because it is our stock in trade, our signature calling card. When our offense is working well, we don't have to play defense as much so it becomes less of a concern. You wear out the other team, run the clock and score with enough frequency to take the pressure off of your defense. That is CPJ's brand of football. He cares about defense but he obsesses over his offense. We had a nice drive going but fumbled the ball away and gave Mercer an opportunity to capture the momentum. Thankfully we did gain the edge back thanks to some overly conservative Mercer coaching and some good play by our TEAM on both sides of the ball prior to half time. The second half was more of a scrimmage with a lot of guys playing and experimentation with personnel groupings. I see a lot of potential in this team on both sides of the ball and we just have to keep getting better. Like I said if we can turn it loose mid to late season we could be a lethal ball team.

Go Jackets!
Agree completely. Few years ago we would play great offense and lose the game because our defense was downright atrocious. Although I don't think Roof is building a world-beater defense and the D does a ton of stuff which makes you scratch your head, at least when we play a good game on offense we win the game because that's who we are. Our defense had actually won us several games under Roof when our offense isn't doing crap. I really don't understand how we can make a thread like this when our D game in and game out gives us a chance to win the ball game.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!

Fair enough. I still find it hard to conclude it's a concern when 2nd and 4th string backs fumble to stop 2 of 3 drives.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Fair enough. I still find it hard to conclude it's a concern when 2nd and 4th string backs fumble to stop 2 of 3 drives.

Exactly. And lets throw in track record. The fact is the O generally is not the issue. With our O and TOP it should inflate d stats. Which says even more about our d if you ask me. Has our d kept us around once and a while sure. Has our O carried us for total seasons. Yup. Winner O

Again paul has a system, it works and has worked here for many recruiting classes and years. If there is one side it can get fixed provided minimal injuries and our talent appears to be good enough its the O

jeffgt14

Exactly. And lets throw in track record. The fact is the O generally is not the issue. With our O and TOP it should inflate d stats. Which says even more about our d if you ask me. Has our d kept us around once and a while sure. Has our O carried us for total seasons. Yup. Winner O

Again paul has a system, it works and has worked here for many recruiting classes and years. If there is one side it can get fixed provided minimal injuries and our talent appears to be good enough its the O
I think our O had been fine this season so far but they were completely there issue last year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
Agree

GTFan62

Jolly Good Fellow
I watch the Alabama defense be aggressive. They attack the opposing offense, our guys sit back and wait for the game to come to them. Mercer was allowed too many 3rd down conversions. It was frustrating to watch.

jeffgt14

I watch the Alabama defense be aggressive. They attack the opposing offense, our guys sit back and wait for the game to come to them. Mercer was allowed too many 3rd down conversions. It was frustrating to watch.
We don't have a single player that would even ride the bench on Bama's D

JT don't count.

Gtyellowjackets

Jolly Good Fellow
Did PJ make Roof finally blitz three straight times late in the game when Mercer was at our 20? And then missed a field goal. Seemed like we we rushing 3 all game up to that point. The 3 straight blitzes worked extremely well and I wondered why we hadn't done it sooner. Or is it that Roof wasn't going to blitz until they got in the red zone?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

Not to belabor an obvious point, but Alabama tried to do that with Clemson last year. Remember the yards/scores they gave up? Even with superior/equal talent the Spread if a hugely difficult O to defend. 3 step drops, quick routes, D unable to breath on a W/R or T/E, no pressure puts ALL the advantages to the O. I'm not saying Tech did great on D today, lots of mistakes and poor tackling for the most part but folks need to understand how difficult defending a Spread is. Just like trying to defend a well run spread option.