Our defense is awful...

JKMSJ

Jolly Good Fellow
Sitting in the stands today it was very frustrating to watch our defense. We allowed an FCS school to put together an 8 minute drive to start the 2nd half. During this drive how many times did they run the same screen play and we couldn't stop it.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Sitting in the stands today it was very frustrating to watch our defense. We allowed an FCS school to put together an 8 minute drive to start the 2nd half. During this drive how many times did they run the same screen play and we couldn't stop it.
bc the db's are 80 yards off them

GT03&05

Georgia Tech Fan
Let's take a moment to have some perspective.

Game A: Team 1 beat Team 2 by 25. Team 1 gave up 8 yards per passing attempt, 4.1 yards per rush, 18 first downs and 305 yards total offense with 233 yards on the ground.

Game B: Team 3 beat Team 4 by 25. Team 3 gave up 5.9 yards per passing attempt, 3.0 yards per rush, 19 first downs and 320 yards total offense with 85 yards on the ground.

Who played the better defense: Team 1 or Team 3? I would say it's pretty similar but Team 3 had better yards per attempt, better yards per rush and made the offense throw the ball, so I'll give them the edge.

Team 1 is #19 Ole Miss who beat Wofford (5-6 in the Southern Conf last year), and Team 3 is GT beating Mercer (also 5-6 in the Southern Conf). If I remember correctly, Ole Miss played a respectable game against a pretty good FSU team last week. I'm ok being counted at the same level of defense as Ole Miss.

We have lots of work to do, and I sure didn't like those 19 first downs by Mercer. That said, we didn't give up big plays and, when we did make mistakes, there was a guy there to make the tackle and limit the damage.

Let's have some perspective.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I'll put it this way, our O is our bread and butter, but if we had a top 30 D with our usual O we would be a consistent 10 win team imo, and our recruiting would get better.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Giving up 10 points and 300 yards to Mercer is not normally the definition of "awful"

I am concerned that we didn't have any sacks and allowed too many passing yards. Things to work on for sure but if we had scored on the 2 drives that fumbled in the red zone no one really mentions this.

I am very worried that we haven't been able to recruit real difference makers on D. Lot of good players but no real stars. Especially on the line. Gotsis was an lucky development project. But that concern was well established before today.

JKMSJ

Jolly Good Fellow
Let's take a moment to have some perspective.

Game A: Team 1 beat Team 2 by 25. Team 1 gave up 8 yards per passing attempt, 4.1 yards per rush, 18 first downs and 305 yards total offense with 233 yards on the ground.

Game B: Team 3 beat Team 4 by 25. Team 3 gave up 5.9 yards per passing attempt, 3.0 yards per rush, 19 first downs and 320 yards total offense with 85 yards on the ground.

Who played the better defense: Team 1 or Team 3? I would say it's pretty similar but Team 3 had better yards per attempt, better yards per rush and made the offense throw the ball, so I'll give them the edge.

Team 1 is #19 Ole Miss who beat Wofford (5-6 in the Southern Conf last year), and Team 3 is GT beating Mercer (also 5-6 in the Southern Conf). If I remember correctly, Ole Miss played a respectable game against a pretty good FSU team last week. I'm ok being counted at the same level of defense as Ole Miss.

We have lots of work to do, and I sure didn't like those 19 first downs by Mercer. That said, we didn't give up big plays and, when we did make mistakes, there was a guy there to make the tackle and limit the damage.

Let's have some perspective.
We are not even close to being on the same level as Ole Miss on defense. They have a mean and nasty D-line that will get after the QB.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I think the DLine played well.
Still could more pressure from the front four but they weren't running between the tackles.
I heard Saint-Armour, Gamble, Simmons, & Kallon's names mentioned. Glanton & Adams got shine too.

Curry & Alexander got in and were putting hitting.

3. Ummmmm. That's all I got.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I was at the game and was frustrated at times. But …

The Bear QB had what could only be called a fantastic run of luck. I counted four passes that he let go in the face of a pretty good rush that were - and I'm being generous here - wounded ducks. Every one of them was completed, usually by WRs or RBs who made great plays to come back for the ball. I particularly remember one where he simply shoved the ball up field with Freeman right in front of him. Freeman missed that ball by millimeters and the "pass" was completed for about 6. Well, you can't beat fate.

Overall, I thought it was like the GSU game in 2014; a ragged performance against an undermanned opponent. Still, they aren't contemptible and we scored 35 points, had over 400 yards of total offense, and played most of the third and fourth quarters with reserves. I can remember Tech teams not so long ago that would have killed for a result like that.

JKMSJ

Jolly Good Fellow
And yet, our defense played at their level today.
No they didn't.... pulling stats from one game means nothing. Watch the Ole Miss defense and then watch our defense. It will be very obvious that there is no comparison.

GT03&05

Georgia Tech Fan
No they didn't.... pulling stats from one game means nothing. Watch the Ole Miss defense and then watch our defense. It will be very obvious that there is no comparison.

So, I think you've made my point that 1 game is not indicative of the quality of a defense, yes?

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I thought the game was a little easier than I expected. Bobby Lamb is a solid coach and puts a well coached team on the field.
I was really surprised Mercer didn't put up more points.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Like I've been saying, the defense lacks discipline. They could be at minimum stout but they're not disciplined enough.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Here is what I saw. Outside plays, like rocket toss or pitch to the outside on option, were pretty much money plays all day. We could have run up the score running wide but we didn't. CPJ was working on specific things with the offense. He clearly wanted the line to work on things inside and he also seemed to want to give the WRs a chance to work on deep routes. He also apparently stuck by a decision to give lots of backups a chance to play. My concern for the offense would be twofold: Our WRs still seem to have trouble getting open and we do not seem to be quite settled yet with our B-back position. Perhaps Mills will continue to grow into that role when he returns next week.

Defense looked to me like we are still not used to tackling to the ground. Reps from game experience should help that. The defensive line pretty much dominated Mercer however. As for giving up so many first downs, I would chalk that up for now to Mercer being extremely disciplined and well coached.

Last but not least, I would bet that Tech chose not to show a lot of its arsenal on both offense and defense in this game, saving something for the tougher opponents. I base that off watching CPJ in past years.

JKMSJ

Jolly Good Fellow
So, I think you've made my point that 1 game is not indicative of the quality of a defense, yes?
Umm no I didn't.... We have not just played like this for one game it is basically the same vanilla ,conservative, non aggressive defense every week. It is Roofs scheme and it needs to change.