Our defense is awful...

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
Give 'em credit, Mercer is well couched and fundamentally sound.

GT sorta mailed it in early, then Mercer got their attention. Yes, execution could have been better on some plays, but they had zero answer for our offense and the D shut em down in the 4th.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This outrage about the offense today is not warranted. We moved the ball at will today. Putting the ball on drives killed 2 potential scoring drives.

Now the defense, ehhhh.... we are not well coached. No way to sugarcoat it. We lose mentally more than anything. I have yet to understand why we are so bad with our eyes. Still making tackles with runners falling forward. I'm not feeling good about where we stand as of NOW.
I noticed yac as well. Not sure that's coaching. Coaches don't suit up.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Some of you guys totally miss the point. The point is that a FCS team was moving the ball at-will, moving the sticks and sustaining drives against our defense. Most all aspects of our defense showed significant holes. Holes you can bet your *** will be exploited by teams with better athletes and better skilled players than we saw today. The point is that if we allow an FCS team that was sub-500 last year push our defense around like that, what can we expect from some high-powered Power-5 offenses? Unless we improve dramatically, it's going to be 2009 all over again, maybe worse.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Some of you guys totally miss the point. The point is that a FCS team was moving the ball at-will, moving the sticks and sustaining drives against our defense. Most all aspects of our defense showed significant holes. Holes you can bet your *** will be exploited by teams with better athletes and better skilled players than we saw today. The point is that if we allow an FCS team that was sub-500 last year push our defense around like that, what can we expect from some high-powered Power-5 offenses? Unless we improve dramatically, it's going to be 2009 all over again, maybe worse.
What Power 5 team have you seen this season that would look any better against Mercer besides Bama?

Edit: and Louisville

Joeb21

Jolly Good Fellow
If we get rid of Roof and hire someone else, that will be our 4th DC in the CPJ era. I'm just not sure Roof is the problem.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Wow we held them to 10 frigging points. That is what you judge a defense by. We are still working to find the best 11 and playing with caution. Ted Roof is going to deliver a top notch defense before the year is over. The offense is of much more concern. They improved today but still are not operating at full speed. Both sides of the ball seem to be playing with an over abundance of caution. We just need to grow in our confidence. It will take a few more games but I think we are going to have a very fine team by year's end. We just need to get all the way turned up.

Go Jackets!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
What Power 5 team have you seen this season that would look any better against Mercer besides Bama?

Edit: and Louisville
Wisconsin, Houston,Louisville, texas a&m Should I continue? These are just teams I saw but you also have Ohio state, Michigan, Miami, Pittsburgh, and the list goes on and on.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Wisconsin, Houston,Louisville, texas a&m Should I continue? These are just teams I saw but you also have Ohio state, Michigan, Miami, Pittsburgh, and the list goes on and on.
You missed my point. You look around the NCAA as a whole and a lot of very good teams are struggling against teams they shouldn't. Just be happy we pulled through in the clutch against BC (something that wasn't happening last year) and that we moved the ball at will against a Mercer and didn't give up many points.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I didn't know cpj was a Defensive mind? Only thing you can blame him for is maybe the hire, but that's it.
I'm not knocking Roof (although some others are), but CPJ is utlimately responsible for the performance of the whole team. So, yeah, it does fall the CPJ. Additionally, CPJ started his coaching life as a defensive guy, so yeah, he's a defensive mind too.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Wow we held them to 10 frigging points. That is what you judge a defense by. We are still working to find the best 11 and playing with caution. Ted Roof is going to deliver a top notch defense before the year is over. The offense is of much more concern. They improved today but still are not operating at full speed. Both sides of the ball seem to be playing with an over abundance of caution. We just need to grow in our confidence. It will take a few more games but I think we are going to have a very fine team by year's end. We just need to get all the way turned up.

Go Jackets!

I don't get you. If pts are what matter on D, how is O a concern? We scored aTD on 5 of 8 drives.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You missed my point. You look around the NCAA as a whole and a lot of very good teams are struggling against teams they shouldn't. Just be happy we pulled through in the clutch against BC (something that wasn't happening last year) and that we moved the ball at will against a Mercer and didn't give up many points.
I couldn't care less how other teams are performing against other FCS teams. I'm concerned about how we're performing. My concern is about how we're going to stack up against other FBS (Power-5) teams. I have concerns about our performance against a team from a lower division (not score, but moving the ball).

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
No I get your point I was just answering your question because there still was a lot of teams that played really really well.

JKMSJ

Jolly Good Fellow
Ted Roof plays a very conservative and vanilla defensive scheme with very little pre snap movement. I am not a great X's and O's guy but it seems to me our scheme makes it very easy for opposing QB's. I miss the days when we were aggressive and actually attacked on defense and played with some fire and aggression. CPJ needs to step in and force Roof to change some things or he better get his offense scoring 40 pts a game every week.