Our defense is awful...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Did anybody watch that game? What happened? All I know is BC had a total of 6 first downs on offense.

I looked at the box score and total yards with balance on rush & pass ..... BC did punt for more yards (tic). Here's the summary: http://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=400869437

What worries me more than the BC performance was the VT performance. BC is in the rear view, I had assumed that VT would have it's usual lethargic offense this year. But that's another thread.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I only caught a bit after the blowout was decided. But VT made BC look like hot garbage in every single facet. And the VT QB looked like the 2nd coming of Cam Newton....announcers said a VT coach (I think) has said as much. Some good QBs in the ACC this year.
Yeah. It would be dangerous to write off BC's defense as overrated and assume VT just isn't that good on offense. I look at it this way: Does anybody believe Bammer's defense isn't really good? Well, they just gave up 40 something to a team on a day where they also scored in the 40s on offense and possessed the ball some. It isn't real hard to see how a team could be a good defense and still give up 40, especially when your offense mustered 6 total first downs. Weird things happen in this game we love.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
No. I watched this team the last 3 years too. Thats a lot of data the other way.

Vandy sucks. Its why i called us to roll. But the d in the second half is doing things i personally have been screaming about for 3 years which is progress. Not a trend. One data point. Lets watch throughout the year and maybe ted has adjusted.
That's funny.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok change the thread name to our defense PLAYED awful schemes against the first 2 opponents. Today was a much needed view of what we are capable of.
We played the same scheme today that we played the first two games and played it just as effectively. We still rushed 3 and 4 and dropped 7 and 8 in zone most of the time. We didn't give up the one run like we did against BC and we didn't allow the screen passes like we did last week. We got better like well coached teams do. Now I don't know if we've played very good offenses so far and evidence points to them not being very good but our defense has played pretty well so hopefully we're developing. We didn't change to a magical scheme we simply are getting better.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
My brother tells me that after the game when CPJ was asked to comment on how it seemed the defense did a good job in the 2nd half with generating a pass ruch that he pointed out the big lead made Vandy one-dimensional and that allows for the defense to look better. As in, he is still far from convinced that the defense is playing really well.

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
Our DL won some individual battles. Good for them. They played well.

I'm still not convinced on scheme, but I don't really understand what we're running. It looks pretty basic to me, but maybe there are subtleties I'm not seeing.

Looking forward to Clemson.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
From the AJC today (9/25) -
An interesting stat regarding how well GT's D did against Clemson -
"Tech gave up 5.4 yards per play and 2.2 points per possession.
Against Alabama in the national championship game, Clemson averaged 6.5 yards per play and 2.7 points per possession."
That gives an interesting perspective, which I think is important to balance the discussion, but there are those who will say Clemson is not nearly as good this year. I think we will not know how to interpret Thursday's game until we see how everyone's season plays out.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
From the AJC today (9/25) -
An interesting stat regarding how well GT's D did against Clemson -
"Tech gave up 5.4 yards per play and 2.2 points per possession.
Against Alabama in the national championship game, Clemson averaged 6.5 yards per play and 2.7 points per possession."

Fwiw, those stats are worse than vs Aub and Troy this year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, those stats are worse than vs Aub and Troy this year.
The Duke Qb against nd looked like a much better passer than the Watson.

Watson Showed poor distance control when receiver running away from him. When standing still or breaking across he was sharp. It seemed like our defense was stopping them with contested catches or bad throws, then they would break across the middle and be wide open.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
No. Kirby was left a team with no talent. Obviously the answer is that top 15 talent isn't very good, you need Alabama talent to win.

Just give it time. It's a process. They played hard through the final whistle. Insert other coach speak here. Meanwhile tech is a dumpster fire. Fire CPJ immediately and bring back Chan.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
LOL...no one in the history of college football has recruited better than Alabama since Saban has been there. I believe they're the composite #1 ranked recruiting program since Saban. It's literally unprecedented what Saban has done with recruiting so there really is no comparison with other coaches...'cause frankly, no one has recruited as well as Saban in college football history.