Our defense is awful...

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If we are going to pull out names, that is fine, but just understand that the player discussed does not play in a vacuum out there. For example, I feel that both DJ White and Chris Milton could have been starters on most any factory team. In fact, I would say that if we had a DL that got enough push and disrupted the pocket with some consistency (like factory teams), we would be talking about the two of them as the best corner pair in GT history. However, they played during a time where we really didn't, so most don't recognize the magnitude of what they offered. It would have been crazy to press all of the time with those two, considering how long they would need to cover.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Diverging back to some prior comments. I don't favor throwing out a single play as an aberration....gotta add all good and bad. Having said that I just watched replay of that long BC run. Saw two holds on the interior.....one of our DT got tackled to the ground on obvious hold IMO. That said....OL get away with a lotta holding.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Ok for non factories. If you are claiming factories, who would they be starting for?
FSU? No.
Uga? No.
Clemson? No.
Bama? Hell no.

AJ, maybe later, but not now. Maybe by the time he's a jr or sr.

We have nobody that would be starting for BC and that's Boomers point about who has recruited D better. They have. By a long shot.
Maybe BC has done a better job of coaching up their guys than our staff has...

gt365

Georgia Tech Fan
Like I said before the 2nd D is more physical. Play the best 11 guys

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
D looking much better. Specifically second half
Playing more up in alignment which is benefiting us greatly. More pressure packages too. This is a much better look than the 10-15 off crap we did in the first half and past two games.

For sure in the second half you can see it. Cbs are 5 off. This is what we need to do every game. We cant revert back to that loose back pedal crap.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
You mean it was possible we were just playing vanilla against an FBS opponent and had multiple schemes we just didn't show :cool:

No. I watched this team the last 3 years too. Thats a lot of data the other way.

Vandy sucks. Its why i called us to roll. But the d in the second half is doing things i personally have been screaming about for 3 years which is progress. Not a trend. One data point. Lets watch throughout the year and maybe ted has adjusted.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
The question right now may be whether we break into the top 25 this week or does it happen after we beat ClempsunIowa (21) just lost so there is already room

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The question right now may be whether we break into the top 25 this week or does it happen after we beat ClempsunIowa (21) just lost so there is already room
After. Id be surprised if we received votes (though beating an SEC opponent could help due to SEC bias).

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Truly not trying to flame. I'm just ecstatic that our d finally had a strong look in the 2nd half. Playing with a little more aggression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
No. I watched this team the last 3 years too. Thats a lot of data the other way.

Vandy sucks. Its why i called us to roll. But the d in the second half is doing things i personally have been screaming about for 3 years which is progress. Not a trend. One data point. Lets watch throughout the year and maybe ted has adjusted.

FWIW I would have played both BC and Mercer the same way we did. They were not going to beat us by going on long drives. Wasn't pretty but the safe and effective approach. Unless he wanted to go all Tenuta this year and wanted the practice.

I would, however, be the first to agree with you that running that conservative of a defense would be death against Clemson, UNC and others.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Truly not trying to flame. I'm just ecstatic that our d finally had a strong look in the 2nd half. Playing with a little more aggression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too!!! I have said it, if roof calls a better d i would be happy to be a supporter!!! Lets see if that second half continues. In the past it didnt.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
FWIW I would have played both BC and Mercer the same way we did. They were not going to beat us by going on long drives. Wasn't pretty but the safe and effective approach. Unless he wanted to go all Tenuta this year and wanted the practice.

I would, however, be the first to agree with you that running that conservative of a defense would be death against Clemson, UNC and others.

Sure. Fair enough. Lets see how it plays out.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I don't care if Vandy drops to FCS after this blow out. GT first string D has given up 14, 10, and 7 points. Having a 22 page thread about how our defense "sucks" 2 games into the season is a joke.