Our defense is awful...

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't care if Vandy drops to FCS after this blow out. GT first string D has given up 14, 10, and 7 points. Having a 22 page thread about how our defense "sucks" 2 games into the season is a joke.

I didnt start this thread. I just agreed with the Op. Again, its early. Hopefully we have turned it around. That second half was very encouraging.

If we see that vs clemson, even if we get beat i will be super happy

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Said it before and I'll say it again, if we can stay healthy and keep working and getting better we can be a good defense. Today we took a step. It was a good effort, and something we can build on. There is still a ton of work to do, make no mistake.

I thought match up wise Vandy was more in our wheelhouse since we excel at stopping the run. Also their style of play does not challenge eye discipline as much as today's spread offenses. Shotgun spread hurry up is tough on defenses which is why most have gone to it. But we went hand-to-hand with a power team, showed good toughness, and got it done. Nice to see young DL like Simmons & St Amour winning some 1-on-1's in the pass rush. Saw good things from Cerge-H, Glanton, & Adams. Guys look like they have the opportunity to become good football players.

Just keep working hard. Clemson will be tough.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I don't care if Vandy drops to FCS after this blow out. GT first string D has given up 14, 10, and 7 points. Having a 22 page thread about how our defense "sucks" 2 games into the season is a joke.

I mean it's 22 pages of pretty good discussion about the defense not 22 pages of circle jerking. I don't see what the issue is. Discussion is good.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I mean it's 22 pages of pretty good discussion about the defense not 22 pages of circle jerking. I don't see what the issue is. Discussion is good.
A 22 page thread titled "How can our defense improve?" is better than "Our defense is awful...". Every team in the country needs to improve in some areas. We obviously have room to improve in all facets, but I don't see any indication that points to us being awful.

Ok change the thread name to our defense PLAYED awful schemes against the first 2 opponents. Today was a much needed view of what we are capable of.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I agree on Adams, he just clogs up everything.
On the 4th down stop he oushed his olinemen back and then he seemed to wade through the mass of linemen and bear hug the runner for no gain.

With adams and glanton/ kerge as Dt s and then kallon and gamble at De we look like Alabama. There would be serious edges set to stop the off tackle runs. The run lanes are easier for our lb to fill when they arent 3 yds wide.

We are coming around at Dt.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
unfortunately, more often than not, when Francis Kallon is head-up, his first movement is backwards. He still has a hard time maintaining his position. I definitely think his best effort is going to be coming off an edge, using his athleticism to get around an OT. Love his effort, though.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
unfortunately, more often than not, when Francis Kallon is head-up, his first movement is backwards. He still has a hard time maintaining his position. I definitely think his best effort is going to be coming off an edge, using his athleticism to get around an OT. Love his effort, though.
... meaning that stars don't guarantee performance...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
........ BC is a defense stacked with more talent than we have. We are not bereft of talent. We have talent in places. In some places it is established and in other places it is emerging. I am still trying to get a handle on where I think we are, but it is certainly behind BC, who has recruited (according to the star gazers) about on par or worse than us. .......

BC lost 0-49 to the offensive power house VT today giving up 470 yards. Worst loss in a long time for BC. But it calls to question how good our O is if BC D is not that good this year.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
BC lost 0-49 to the offensive power house VT today giving up 470 yards. Worst loss in a long time for BC. But it calls to question how good our O is if BC D is not that good this year.
Did anybody watch that game? What happened? All I know is BC had a total of 6 first downs on offense.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The question right now may be whether we break into the top 25 this week or does it happen after we beat ClempsunIowa (21) just lost so there is already room

If you have a tinfoil hat, (I don't), you have to think ESPN is dialing up their contacts to get us ranked #25 for Thursday nights match-up against two ranked teams.

I refuse to try and interpret anything from the Ireland game. With everyone in a completely different environment and out of their traditional elements, it's really impossible to read the tea leaves for that game. That it was game 1 doesn't help either. My analysis of this season started with Mercer. I am just grateful we got the W in game 1.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Did anybody watch that game? What happened? All I know is BC had a total of 6 first downs on offense.

I only caught a bit after the blowout was decided. But VT made BC look like hot garbage in every single facet. And the VT QB looked like the 2nd coming of Cam Newton....announcers said a VT coach (I think) has said as much. Some good QBs in the ACC this year.

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
But you can't disregard VT's game against a very mediocre Tennessee team.

Like most things in life, VT likely lies between their worst and their best. Certainly a winnable game for the Jackets.

I think we took a giant step forward today. We proved this isn't the 2015 team.

I remember in 2014 after the GSU game, I had written that team off.

If we continue to improve, catch some breaks, and avoid crucial injuries, we'll be fine and could end up with another special season. Just keep the train rolling.