On To Syracuse!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think getting back on schedule for a week can do wonders. I also think that is part of F$U's issue last night. I don't think we need to count them out, but these next two weeks will be a heart check for them. It's possible that they rip off 10 straight, but they've got to get their hearts back in it.
If Norvel can turn that train wreck around he is a better coach than I believed. They certainly have the athletes but it will take special coaching and scheming to create an adequate QB situation, and the entitlement attitude over there, as you’ve pointed out, will require a seismic shift in the culture.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I think getting back on schedule for a week can do wonders. I also think that is part of F$U's issue last night. I don't think we need to count them out, but these next two weeks will be a heart check for them. It's possible that they rip off 10 straight, but they've got to get their hearts back in it.
This is part of the challenge with a team of mercenaries, and we saw it last year with Colorado too.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Can't have a hiccup here. Win this one and we're likely 4-0 going into the Louisville game and likely ranked in the Top 20. Lose this one and it's "same old Tech." Let's hope we go up there and do what we should do and don't revert to "typical Tech." Hopefully Key has turned the corner on that happening. I was just hoping for a win over Georgia State. Didn't care if it was 1 point or 21 points. Just a win. That was a major trap game and we won it while being in control most of the game. Didn't look great, but good enough to win by 3 touchdowns. Let's keep it going.

I do think this game may show us if this will be a special year or “same old Tech”. I don’t care how we win it, but a win here changes the perception of the first month and the future of this season a lot.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I do think this game may show us if this will be a special year or “same old Tech”. I don’t care how we win it, but a win here changes the perception of the first month and the future of this season a lot.
Getting to 4-0 would be a HUGE step forward. Then we have @Louisville, Dook, and @UNC ahead of ND. But first... win this week @Syracuse. You have to be 3-0 before you can become 4-0. Big test this Saturday.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
The team will need to be focused to win at that place. We've just come out of two physical games and we look pretty beat up.

To me this comes down to whether or not the staff can keep the team geeked-up for the third consecutive week? If they can, I think we take this. If not, we could be sunk by big plays.

It's a pick 'um.
The really good thing is that, even if we lose we're above .500 :)

Add the gimmie VMI win and we're gonna be AT LEAST 3-1 1/3 through the season.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The really good thing is that, even if we lose we're above .500 :)

Add the gimmie VMI win and we're gonna be AT LEAST 3-1 1/3 through the season.
Yes, but... have you looked at the back end of our schedule? In case not, here it is:

@ UNC
ND (7)
@ VPI
Miami (19)
NCSU (24)
@UGAg (1)

It doesn't get much tougher than that. When @ UNCheat and @ VPI are your two easy games, it's tough.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
Yes, but... have you looked at the back end of our schedule? In case not, here it is:

@ UNC
ND (7)
@ VPI
Miami (19)
NCSU (24)
@UGAg (1)

It doesn't get much tougher than that. When @ UNCheat and @ VPI are your two easy games, it's tough.
I know it's tough BUT

We beat VMI and then beat Duke and UNC we're looking at 6-2 with four games to go. Based on this week I think VT is winnable, and NC State being a night home game gives us a shot.

I see 7-5 to 8-4.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I know it's tough BUT

We beat VMI and then beat Duke and UNC we're looking at 6-2 with four games to go. Based on this week I think VT is winnable, and NC State being a night home game gives us a shot.

I see 7-5 to 8-4.
I hope you're right, and you may well be. Remember, the biggest improvement is often between games 1 and 2. Let's see what they all do this week. All three of them almost always play us tough and two of those three are away games (VPI and UNCheat). The rest of a successful season starts this Saturday in Syracuse. This is a pretty must game for us. Not absolutely but getting to 7 wins w/o it will be difficult. It would mean we have to win 4 of @ Louisville, Dook, @ UNCheat, Notre Dame (7), @ VPI, Miami (19), NCSU (24), and UGAg (1).

At this point it looks like those last 5 games are a murderer's row. I think we can win a few, but just don't want us to find ourselves in a must-win against those 5. If we can somehow get to 6-1 heading onto the ND game, the rest is gravy. Then we just have to pick off one of those last 5 and I think that's very doable.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
I hope you're right, and you may well be. Remember, the biggest improvement is often between games 1 and 2. Let's see what they all do this week. All three of them almost always play us tough and two of those three are away games (VPI and UNCheat). The rest of a successful season starts this Saturday in Syracuse. This is a pretty must game for us. Not absolutely but getting to 7 wins w/o it will be difficult. It would mean we have to win 4 of @ Louisville, Dook, @ UNCheat, Notre Dame (7), @ VPI, Miami (19), NCSU (24), and UGAg (1).

At this point it looks like those last 5 games are a murderer's row. I think we can win a few, but just don't want us to find ourselves in a must-win against those 5. If we can somehow get to 6-1 heading onto the ND game, the rest is gravy. Then we just have to pick off one of those last 5 and I think that's very doable.
My neighbor who is a 75 year old georgia alum (and their assistant SID) but a GREAT man, friend, and football mind has the same saying about weeks 1 and 2.

That said, we had a unique situation with our first game. And GSU was playing with their hair on fire.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Coaching factoid: Key coached Fran Brown (Syracuse’s coach) way back in the day…

I'm not sure I want to play BC just yet. They looked pretty good along both lines and look like a tough out for anyone. I'm worried enough about Syracuse.

I think we *should* win a tough, hard fought close game over the Orange, but their coach reminds me a lot of Key (and Dale McGee, who impressed me for Ga. State). Building the right way with toughness and focused on HIS team and what they do rather than worrying too much about the other team. My hope is that we have a one year jump on the 'Cuse and hence should win. As long as we don't screw it up with penalties and turnovers.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
I wanna make these threads pinned if possible cause I know some players and parents look at these sites and I want them to have the same focus that we're on to said opponent for the week! No need for any outside noise to get in our way!

slugboy

Staff member
Bill Connelly’s SP+ has us favored by 0.9 points. His system predicts a 30-29 win for GT
The model that’s been the most accurate over the past two weeks is the “Sagarin Recent” (Sagarin, but weighted heavily towards recent results). That “favors” us by “3.8” points after taking home field into account.

At this point in time, throw that stuff out. The best thing we have going for us is that their starting LB is supposed to be out. Maybe they’re dinged on the OL.

This looks like a “who wants it more” kind of a game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

@ UNC
ND (7)
@ VPI
Miami (19)
NCSU (24)
@UGAg (1)

Not to speak into existence the unspeakable but that is an injury inducing stretch of games. But wouldn’t it be great to undefeated and playing Notre Dame at home! Guarantee that would be a sellout with a huge national audience.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Not to speak into existence the unspeakable but that is an injury inducing stretch of games. But wouldn’t it be great to undefeated and playing Notre Dame at home! Guarantee that would be a sellout with a huge national audience.
There will be some welcome and much needed breaks toward the end of that schedule. After VT we get 14 days until Miami, then 12 days to NC State, and 8 days to Ugag.
So, just three games in 34 days after VT.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There will be some welcome and much needed breaks toward the end of that schedule. After VT we get 14 days until Miami, then 12 days to NC State, and 8 days to Ugag.
So, just three games in 34 days after VT.

That’s right. Thank you. I had forgotten that. Rest can really help in preventing certain types of injuries.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
No need for any outside noise to get in our way!
Distraction proof!

three men are laughing in a car with movieclips.com written on the bottom right